What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Solar Legion said:

While I will rather firmly state to anyone who asks that it is far better to not edit a snapshot unless you're looking to enter a contest or looking for Flickr/Social media Brownie Points (useless things that they are), I'll also rather firmly state that if your stance is that no edits should ever be done or that an edit is always obvious ... Well you're simply wrong and haven't a singular clue.

A well made edit requires that you have access to the original image to tell that it was edited. If you - the final observer - cannot tell it is edited without being able to see the original, the edit was properly done. Beginning and end of story.

Which means 2 things:

A) There are no good edits, because so far i could always tell edited pictures from non-edited pictures.

B) I must be some kind of god (or a hacker) because i can tell whether a picture is edited without seeing the original (or if i'm a hacker probably stole the original somehow)

I do edit most of my shots to some extent, but I'd rather spend 5 minutes extra in SL to set it up properly than sitting in Gimp for 2 hours trying to correct things by hand and getting a result which generally feels 'off'. I think that the whole 'no edits' elitist attitude is as detrimental to a person who's just getting into SL, as the 'five-filter-minimum' shenanigans a large portion of the SL bloggers do for no good reason. To say that only one or the other is art, and that everything else is trash, is just pointless and opinionated. Let people do whatever they want, if you don't like their stuff, fair do's - but what a bloody boring world we'd live in if everyone only did the same thing and had the same taste.

If real life, professional photographers use touch-ups and cropping, why should we set the bar higher for happy amateurs?

That said, hip-hop, rap and jazz still ain't music. 😡

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I do edit most of my shots to some extent, but I'd rather spend 5 minutes extra in SL to set it up properly than sitting in Gimp for 2 hours trying to correct things by hand and getting a result which generally feels 'off'. I think that the whole 'no edits' elitist attitude is as detrimental to a person who's just getting into SL, as the 'five-filter-minimum' shenanigans a large portion of the SL bloggers do for no good reason. To say that only one or the other is art, and that everything else is trash, is just pointless and opinionated. Let people do whatever they want, if you don't like their stuff, fair do's - but what a bloody boring world we'd live in if everyone only did the same thing and had the same taste.

If real life, professional photographers use touch-ups and cropping, why should we set the bar higher for happy amateurs?

What about Snakejazz?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Blasphemer.

28 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Heathen.

Heretic.

Music is that which most call classical, a.k.a. Composed and orchestrated, i. e. Beethoven. The rest is just white-noise.

Hahahaha!

Edited by Alyona Su

15 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

And here you delivered the ultimate reason why post editing in SL is not good.

You simply cannot create a picture that is impossible to decipher as edited, someone will always be able to tell that your picture has been edited if it is simply because of the reasons i named. Second Life and how it looks, with all its quirks and bugs is unique, if you change anything in the picture post you are changing and/or removing these quirks thus you make it visible that you edited the picture. The only picture that would be impossible to tell apart is a picture that simply wasn't edited at all and if you want to make a "less-is-more" picture that doesn't reveal that it is edited then you simply not edit it at all. Further, if you were to create a picture that is edited that is impossible to tell that it was indeed edited, it would raise the question why you edited it at all since you cannot see the edit, thus the edit not being important thus making the edit obsolete in the first place. Just like adding graphic effects that you don't see. You don't add projector shadows if there aren't any projectors to cast a shadow, it would raise the question whether using projectors was necessary (which it wasn't since you don't see them).

For an edit to be useful, it needs to be visible, otherwise its a pointless edit, if an edit is visible, it is possible to pinpoint it and tell the picture apart from non-edited pictures. This applies to many things, not just editing pictures or graphics in general, its the same with basically anything, i mean you don't put something in your food that doesn't do anything just so its there, right?

I don't understand how editing a picture of an animated pixelated character on some silly virtual game is considered cheating. Enhancing something doesn't make it any less bad than not. I dunno why everyone on this forum has an issue with people editing photos. It's just Second Life. Lmao.

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Stores that give you a 30k rendering cost warning

"Your avatar complexity is 23,221. You may not be rendered by more than half the people in the region."

Looks around my currently empty neighborhood. 

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

The limit on new posts within a certain time frame is annoying when you're hopping between the word games.

The limit is a PITA when you are catching up on a thread.  I don't always want to combine replies to multiple quotes all in the same post, but have to wait that minute before the next reply.

And more of a PITA is that a reply to a thread in the forums will also prevent me from sending a PM to someone until a minute has passed.

• Like 3

Sometimes I accidentally tap on someone's icon and get taken to their profile by mistake. It's not usually an issue but occasionally it happens with someone on whose "recent visitors" list I really do not wish to appear.

I also wish the "now viewing" function didn't exist.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Sometimes I accidentally tap on someone's icon and get taken to their profile by mistake. It's not usually an issue but occasionally it happens with someone on whose "recent visitors" list I really do not wish to appear.

I also wish the "now viewing" function didn't exist.

Yes! This happens to me all the time. Grrr!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

haha  I do that all the time.

Don't think you are special people, I just have a sensitive mouse pad on this lappy 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

The limit on new posts within a certain time frame is annoying when you're hopping between the word games.

I think it was instituted as a defense against the  flood of spam that ruined the forums for quite some time and was very difficult to stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A major one:

Groups that don't allow you to post links.

Especially so if it's a creator group, someone asks where to get a product by that creator, I link it and some helpful moderator chimes in like "please don't post links in chat". Okay, I'm sorry for daring to help someone send you money.

SL in general desperately needs fewer cargo cult rules that serve absolutely no purpose. I assume the idea is to avoid phishing links, but then you could just forbid those. Because if a moderator is actively watching the chat, they can be selective. If not, those phishing links will still get posted.

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.