What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

30 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Yes. Although we are taught Her Majesty's English in highschool, for the most part, British sound funny to me, nowadays. The preponderance of American English we're bombarded with every day causes it, I reckon. I can still understand British just fine, of course.

I do miss some words every now and then.  I love British movies though better than American films.  I like foreign films better than American films and don't mind using closed captioning when watching foreign films.  But, even in California, there are problem dialects, especially that Winner for Winter thing and always pronouncing Wimbledon with a ton at the end instead of a don.   

One thing about translators though who do *try* to translate great works of literature or films into another language, they put their heart, soul and passion in it quite a bit because they want to share it with others who don't speak the language and it's their passion in life.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

That huge boat you rooted on your parcel then placed in the water far outside your parcel boundaries as a decoration is not convincing because the water is a very small pond that's not much bigger than a mudpuddle and your sails block everyone's views.

At the very least, if this was in the new Linden Home regions anywhere, you can - and should - AR it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

And this coming from a person who has a language that has the words read and read but one of them is pronounced "red".   Not to mention you have a town called Reading that if spoken is pronounced Redding.  How the heck am I supposed to know how to pronounce Reading if no one told me before hand?   We tried to make sense of your babble.  

Don't even try..........

Town names?  Gloucester..........................Gloster;  Worcester....................Wooster

Dittisham (Devon) ......................Ditsum

Had enough yet? or thirsty for more?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Don't even try..........

Town names?  Gloucester..........................Gloster;  Worcester....................Wooster

Joining in ...

Beaminster

Wombwell

Elsecar

Thrybergh

and things that get shortened to

Hants (Hampshire)

Salop (Shropshire)

Notts (Nottinghamshire)

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Worcester....................Wooster

This must be the posh Yorkshire pronunciation? We Manc's say "Wusstor"!  😜

The Yank's do have their fair share of awkward named places to be fair. Places like Chapaquiddic (sorry Teddy) and Missuagua etc...however they're spelt! I bet Selene could throw a few more in.  They don't have much patience for naming places though. I mean, they have at least 7 "Manchester"'s over there! (I know this because I used to collect police shoulder patches).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Don't even try..........

Earschplittenloudenboomer.

• Like 2

Don't even try..........

I was only joking.  

Try these for Southern California:  Sepulveda (a street) and La Jolla (a town).  

Edited by FairreLilette

Don't even try..........

That reminds me of towns in a friend's part of the world.  Say after me, Devonport, Lostwithiel, Mousehole, Fowey.

If you're saying Demport, Lawstwithul, Mouzul, and Foy, you're doing well.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
One more, for fun.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

That reminds me of towns in a friend's part of the world.  Say after me, Devonport, Lostwithiel, Mousehole, Fowey.

If you're saying Demport, Lawstwithul, Mouzul, and Foy, you're doing well.

Ecclefechan and *****t come to mind for some unknown reason at this point. 

Veering here and there 

https://www.citymetric.com/horizons/literally-just-19-ridiculous-british-place-names-you-can-find-ordnance-survey-maps-3256

Edited by Marigold Devin
t w a t t is a place name
  • Like 1

Don't even try..........

I think a bit of a peeve, though, is the natives looking amused and scandalized as the poor visitor (of any country) comes in, looking for a place and calls Gloucester "Gl-ow-kes-ter" and y'all smirk. Or someone says, I can't find Wooster on the map and (smirk) you explain it is spelled Worcester. FFS y'all know it is effed up! 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Don't even try..........

The song "Shibboleth" on YouTube....  Turn on subtitles for more detail.

Edited by LibGwen
  • Like 1

My current pet peeve is white people who take advantage of riots in order to loot something as ridiculous as legos.  Add this guy to the list of people to be sent up on a SpaceX rocket and ejected out an airlock.  

CHECKOUT CHECKOUT I need to know more about the white guy that would challenge both a global pandemic and racial protests to loot legos. made with mematic Product

Edited by Tolya Ugajin
ETA: Also, someone please teach the guy with the claw hammer the proper way to swing it? That's the side for prying things up, not the smashing stuff side.
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

My current pet peeve is white people who take advantage of riots in order to loot

But anyone else taking advantage of the riots in order to loot is fine? Looting is a garbage move, that hurts your community, no matter who you are.

• Like 5

My pet peeve is alt-right groups like the Proud Boys and the Boogaloo Boys showing up at peaceful protests, instigating violence and looting, and then disappearing into the shadows so Trump and the rest of the White Power trash can point at the black communities and say, "Look what they did! Bad black people! Bad!"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My human peeve: Having a full cup of the delicious nectar that is coffee on my desk, turning my desk chair around to reach something, having the back of the chair hit the coffee, which then spills and drowns my mouse. Noooooooooooooooo. Paws crossed that it dries out ok. It is currently working but that could change. Stupid Mondays.

There's another human peeve right now that has to do with the spelling of words on the forum but I can't expound upon it because Big Brother is watching. I'm annoyed. 

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

My pet peeve is the Judge who says I can't go to Tesco in just my underpants 😞

Human peeve: Having to Google things to understand other people's pet peeves. "Tesco" apparently is a shop. Where you can't go in just your underpants because: Judge. 

:)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

My pet peeve is alt-right groups like the Proud Boys and the Boogaloo Boys showing up at peaceful protests, instigating violence and looting, and then disappearing into the shadows so Trump and the rest of the White Power trash can point at the black communities and say, "Look what they did! Bad black people! Bad!"

Or, in the incendiary words of the man himself, waiting to show the black man who's boss, "If the looting starts, the shooting starts." :( 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

My human peeve: Having a full cup of the delicious nectar that is coffee on my desk, turning my desk chair around to reach something, having the back of the chair hit the coffee, which then spills and drowns my mouse. Noooooooooooooooo. Paws crossed that it dries out ok.

I know you said that is a human peeve, but as a cat aren't you more onboard with drowning of mice?

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

Edited 4 minutes ago by Adamburp Adamczyk
was something else "tongue in cheek" but given some of the more "sensitive" on here lately, best to edit it, sheesh.

Too late. 😄 I've memorialized it for you.

FWIW: I don't think you needed to edit it, but then I'm not that sensitive (mean girls aren't ya know...)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.