Jump to content
IvyLarae

What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 61 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

agree...I'm just surprised by some that just poof as I've seen much more hostile ones stay up...

* my question was more of a rhetorical one

the forums are not all about being nice all the time, its about expressing yourself, the good and the bad. it shows that there are real people here and not just a few using sock puppets all the time.

a few hostile replies in a thread that is overall non-hostile will not always get it removed. there is more value in the non-hostile parts if it has enough pages. it might just get locked to prevent it from exploding.

A smaller thread may be taken down sooner to prevent it from burning out of control.

plus there are a lot of people here who claim to be non-hostile but show just how hostile they can be when things dont go their little way. which is going to happen, not everyone will or has to be nice all the time. otherwise they would be a fake. and those who have been around the internet long enough can smell fakes pretty easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Prior to the last few weeks, I had only ever put a few people on ignore for short time periods

I tried to put @Alwin Alcott on ignore to test something earlier.  He cried and I got struck by lightening 👼

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:
18 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I put anybody on ignore that I disagree with so i can stay as stupid as possible    :)

*not!  I have nobody on ignore

I didn't until this week. Now two people reside on my block list, and it's mostly for other people's benefit. I don't think anything good can come from interacting with the first person, and that's all I have to say about that. The second one is Captain Jackwagon who spent yesterday evening crapping up the BLM thread. I think removing the temptation to make any more replies to his gibbering and potentially helping get the thread locked was in everyone's interest.

GI Joe was a trip alright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

its about expressing yourself

perhaps it a good training for expressing oneself respectfully....not an easy task sometimes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I put anybody on ignore that I disagree with so i can stay as stupid as possible    :)

*not!  I have nobody on ignore

I dont use ignore either, i find such features a childs tool. for those who cannot deal with how unpretty the internet can be at times. if you cannot deal with the not so nice, then you are too thin skinned. not as mature as you like to think or claim or try and get others to believe. maybe a bit narcissistic or egotistical too. 'play by my way or else'

and before anyone says look at myself.. I already know what I am. im not ashamed of it or hide it. any attempt at being snarky or witty or sarcastic or rude will just get you laughed at. because its highly amusing that someone thinks their opinion of me matters at the end of the day. i decide my value not someone else. i dont need outside validation of who or what I am; like so many here do at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

perhaps it a good training for expressing oneself respectfully....not an easy task sometimes!

thing about respect its useless for the most part, unless you really care what that other person thinks or feels or likes or doesnt. and if you are just two strangers on the internet with little desire to be friends you not going to care. that is why hot emotions happens, one gets hurt because another didn't care what they said or how it would affect them. which a lot of the forumites here do act that way. that anyone they disagree with is just a nipc. so when that person responds back hotly to them, they get all bent out of shape over it. it becomes a 'them' problem at that point and they cannot handle it.

respect is earned, not given freely or blindly and it goes both ways, no one can force or demand respect or expect or assume respect from anyone. but there are some here that think they can.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:
27 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I put anybody on ignore that I disagree with so i can stay as stupid as possible    :)

*not!  I have nobody on ignore

I dont use ignore either, i find such features a childs tool. for those who cannot deal with how unpretty the internet can be at times. if you cannot deal with the not so nice, then you are too thin skinned. not as mature as you like to think or claim or try and get others to believe. maybe a bit narcissistic or egotistical too. 'play by my way or else'

and before anyone says look at myself.. I already know what I am. im not ashamed of it or hide it. any attempt at being snarky or witty or sarcastic or rude will just get you laughed at. because its highly amusing that someone thinks their opinion of me matters at the end of the day. i decide my value not someone else. i dont need outside validation of who or what I am; like so many here do at times.

I think it's disrespectful to put others on Ignore -- it's like saying they have NOTHING worthwhile to say. Basically, you've totally invalidated another.  At the same time, I understand when somebody wants a more peaceful time with less conflicts on a forum, and they are choosing to create this environment in the best way they know how.

Outside validation...hmmm...an interesting topic.  I don't ever want to get to where I don't care what others think of me, but I don't want it to guide my actions or circumvent what I see as the truth (choosing approval over truth).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

perhaps it a good training for expressing oneself respectfully....not an easy task sometimes!

thing about respect its useless for the most part, unless you really care what that other person thinks or feels or likes or doesnt. and if you are just two strangers on the internet with little desire to be friends you not going to care. that is why hot emotions happens, one gets hurt because another didn't care what they said or how it would affect them. which a lot of the forumites here do act that way. that anyone they disagree with is just a nipc. so when that person responds back hotly to them, they get all bent out of shape over it.

respect is earned, not given freely or blindly and it goes both ways, no one can force or demand respect or expect or assume respect from anyone. but there are some here that think they can.

I don't think all feel they are just "strangers on the internet".  There are those who have real friends on the internet, and on this forum.

What's a "nipc"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I don't ever want to get to where I don't care what others think of me, but I don't want it to guide my actions or circumvent what I see as the truth (choosing approval over truth).

get hurt or betrayed enough and you will. its how the body and mind adapts to survive at that point in time.

a lot of people here have already shown they dont really care what their actions or words make others feel, but they expect others to care what their actions makes them feel.

aka 'i want my cake and ice cream how I want and im not sharing it' if you poke me I will cry foul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I put anybody on ignore that I disagree with so i can stay as stupid as possible 

Typically I wouldn't see your posts because you are one that I had to temporarily force myself to not engage with - but someone quoted this.

The statement you made is basically saying that anyone that puts others on ignore will remain stupid about something. That is exactly the type of statement that totally contradicts the 'Good Person' image that you so often try to project.

So I guess, at least for now, I will knowingly stay stupid about whatever you might post.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I don't think all feel they are just "strangers on the internet".  There are those who have real friends on the internet, and on this forum.

What's a "nipc"?

non-important player character.. aka nobody important to them and how they feel or think. someone of no value to them at any level.

a few may have friends or those they call Friends, but are they really friends or just some half-friend that will leave them at a moments notice if things get too rough for them to handle.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CharlotteStargazer said:

Pet peeve: Listening to people eat. The sound of chewing is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

My husband is a loud chewer.  For the longest time I thought he was chewing with his mouth open, but I watched him really carefully for quite a while.  He chews with his mouth closed, but I can still hear it from 6-8 ft away.  When we are eating at our office desks, I often put my headphones on.  When we are at the kitchen table, I just eat really fast so I can leave the table.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:
4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I don't think all feel they are just "strangers on the internet".  There are those who have real friends on the internet, and on this forum.

What's a "nipc"?

non-important player character.. aka nobody important to them and how they feel or think.

a few may have friends or those they call Friends, but are they really friends or just some half-friend that will leave them at a moments notice if things get too rough for them to handle.

I don't think that's true for all people.  It sounds like you've experienced that a lot though, and I don't doubt that a lot of people are out there who are creeps, unfortunately.   My experiences have been pretty good overall, but I have encountered some of the creeps too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
40 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I put anybody on ignore that I disagree with so i can stay as stupid as possible 

Typically I wouldn't see your posts because you are one that I had to temporarily force myself to not engage with - but someone quoted this.

The statement you made is basically saying that anyone that puts others on ignore will remain stupid about something. That is exactly the type of statement that totally contradicts the 'Good Person' image that you so often try to project.

So I guess, at least for now, I will knowingly stay stupid about whatever you might post.

I also said that I understand when people need to put others on Ignore in order to feel peace.

Basically, with what you quoted, I was just making a silly joke with myself as the butt of it.

You sure do project a lot with me, read meaning into what is not there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I tried to put @Alwin Alcott on ignore to test something earlier.  He cried and I got struck by lightening 👼

still....

ginger+rogers+crying+tears+gif.gif

 

WelloffCalculatingHairstreak-size_restri

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CharlotteStargazer said:

Pet peeve: Listening to people eat. The sound of chewing is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

see .. there are benefits to be single :)

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CharlotteStargazer said:

Pet peeve: Listening to people eat. The sound of chewing is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I once had a good friend in SL. He once wanted to introduce me to his (at the time) SL girlfriend. Girlfriend insisted on using voice, instead of typing (I stayed in written communication). And... then she started eating. Not just anything, it sounded like she was eating fresh carrots or chips with her mouth open.

  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

I once had a good friend in SL. He once wanted to introduce me to his (at the time) SL girlfriend. Girlfriend insisted on using voice, instead of typing (I stayed in written communication). And... then she started eating. Not just anything, it sounded like she was eating fresh carrots or chips with her mouth open.

Ohmygod...there is no reaction button for this. Another major reason I hate voice.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

When my Notification pages tells me that some thread was updated, but then I get there and all I see is one or more:

image.png.808168fc894abced295e298745cbd61e.png

My favourite moment today: opening a thread from the Activity feed.. the loaded page showing nothing but ignored posters.  😆

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

My favourite moment today: opening a thread from the Activity feed.. the loaded page showing nothing but ignored posters.  😆

Guess that was a quick read then.  xD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Prior to the last few weeks, I had only ever put a few people on ignore for short time periods mostly as a time-out for me from them so that I would stop engaging.

The last few weeks got a bit too contentious, more so than usual around here -- at least, IMO.

I popped a few on ignore for my own sanity.  I've been doing okay at just skimming past most posts that quote those people.  I have been debating with myself if I'm ready to go back to my normal forum processing and thus eliminate my ignore list.  

that's how I do it too.  When things calm down I go back in and delete all the ignoreds.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CharlotteStargazer said:

Pet peeve: Listening to people eat. The sound of chewing is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

"They" are learning more about a disorder called misophonia. It is very interesting reading, if you look it up. A common peeve is listening to people chew. They are learning it really does make people freak out. Symptoms vary but it can be incapacitating if severe. I have a little of it myself. Potato chips can be a problem.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

that's how I do it too.  When things calm down I go back in and delete all the ignoreds.

Seems like only a few of my blocked stuck around. As a proponent of "scroll" for a decade, I have to say blocked has its benefits. When I see row after row of notices that ONLY people I've blocked are going back and forth, I know I'm really not missing anything. :)  Some people really don't have anything  I want to read. Anything. At all. Irrelevant. But we all know you're nicer than I am, Kali. My BS meter is set too low for people who have proven themselves to be annoying gnats time and time again. I've never learned to suffer fools gladly or otherwise, and I'm not sure why we are supposed to suffer them.  There are a couple of people on here who I know I will probably disagree with more than not, but I also know they aren't posting anything and everything regardless of a position, just to hear themselves type, and they aren't blocked. Anyway. All this to say, yeah, no, I'm probably not going to delete the highlights off my blocked list. They earned their places of honor. :)

 

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

"They" are learning more about a disorder called misophonia. It is very interesting reading, if you look it up. A common peeve is listening to people chew. They are learning it really does make people freak out. Symptoms vary but it can be incapacitating if severe. I have a little of it myself. Potato chips can be a problem.

Well I'll be damned. I thought I was the only one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 61 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...