How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

3 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I'm remembering now why he hasn't been logged on in forever.  ARGH it is frustrating to dress a male avatar.

Anyway, I smoothed the brow a little and tweaked the eyes and lips.  He is supposed to look experienced, not pissed.

1192847837_2019-05-28_003(2).jpg.226165252797b23f2cd0db7d06467f72.jpg

633455230_2019-05-28_004(2).thumb.jpg.a4f2e6f8eac23cf7f839b6f73100b90b.jpg

I'm loving the skin.  Nest steps will be salt and pepper hair and I guess a bento hand AO (unless I am missing something with Signature's controls)

I've never been able to get my malt to look good. I've only posted one photo of him and he's been around for years. 

What hair is that? That's been one of my hardest items to find. I hate all of them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

That hair is Haunting from Stealthic.  They have some nice short hair styles I use with Rhonda, too.

No wonder I like it - I have every single one of their long hairs for myself. 

Will send him over to have a look at it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I'm remembering now why he hasn't been logged on in forever.  ARGH it is frustrating to dress a male avatar.

Anyway, I smoothed the brow a little and tweaked the eyes and lips.  He is supposed to look experienced, not pissed.

1192847837_2019-05-28_003(2).jpg.226165252797b23f2cd0db7d06467f72.jpg

633455230_2019-05-28_004(2).thumb.jpg.a4f2e6f8eac23cf7f839b6f73100b90b.jpg

I'm loving the skin.  Nest steps will be salt and pepper hair and I guess a bento hand AO (unless I am missing something with Signature's controls)

Great job! May I suggest a fedora and loose tie? He looks like he'd be wearing a fedora..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, in 1927, my great-great aunt Winifred Ottomeyer (née Rhiadra) inherited the then not unsubtantial sum of £350 following the death of her mother. Auntie Winnie died when I was only six, and she lived in the UK, so I never got to know her, but she was, by every account, a vivacious and somewhat daring woman. Unfortunately, the death of her father when she was only 17 had necessitated her withdrawal from school, and for the next 6 years she was employed as a stenographer for a legal firm in Hounslow, her income mostly devoted to the support of her family, and the education in trades of her elder brother (my great grandfather). She had not yet married (the subject, apparently, of no small amount of whispering within the family), and the passing of her mother, and the arrival of her inheritance, meant that she was, for the first time in her adult life, free to have an adventure.

The place to have an adventure in 1927 was, without question, Berlin. Accordingly, Winnie settled her affairs and embarked on a journey to Germany, via the Dover-Calais ferry and a train to Berlin. She arrived in that city in May of 1927, with, I think, something like £500 to her name, a small suitcase of clothing and books, a smidgen of German, and no friends in her newly adopted city. She remained there for the next 5 years, before returning, married, to London at the end of 1932.

Much of this I know from my grandfather, who adored "Auntie Winnie," and my mother. I also have in my possession her journal from this period, which my mother recently gave to me; it includes a number of photographs, of which this is one. (I have been told that I am the splitting image of Auntie Winnie, although to be honest, I can't see it myself.) The handwritten note on the back of this one indicates that it dates from June of 1928, and commemorates the occasion of a small but (for one of her means) rather exorbitant birthday celebration held in her honour at the Hotel Adlon (est. 1907) on Unter den Linden, in the Mitte district of Berlin. She would have just turned 25 here.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/1920s Berlin Project/173/61/27

1086304458_HotelAdlonBlank.thumb.png.c48db9be1d4cac8aef5ba2dae7205edc.png

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 34

45 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, in 1927, my great-great aunt Winifred Ottomeyer (née Rhiadra) inherited the then not unsubtantial sum of £350 following the death of her mother. Auntie Winnie died when I was only six, and she lived in the UK, so I never got to know her, but she was, by every account, a vivacious and somewhat daring woman. Unfortunately, the death of her father when she was only 17 had necessitated her withdrawal from school, and for the next 6 years she was employed as a stenographer for a legal firm in Hounslow, her income mostly devoted to the support of her family, and the education in trades of her elder brother (my great grandfather). She had not yet married (the subject, apparently, of no small amount of whispering within the family), and the passing of her mother, and the arrival of her inheritance, meant that she was, for the first time in her adult life, free to have an adventure.

The place to have an adventure in 1927 was, without question, Berlin. Accordingly, Winnie settled her affairs and embarked on a journey to Germany, via the Dover-Calais ferry and a train to Berlin. She arrived in that city in May of 1927, with, I think, something like £500 to her name, a small suitcase of clothing and books, a smidgen of German, and no friends in her newly adopted city. She remained there for the next 5 years, before returning, married, to London at the end of 1932.

Much of this I know from my grandfather, who adored "Auntie Winnie," and my mother. I also have in my possession her journal from this period, which my mother recently gave to me; it includes a number of photographs, of which this is one. (I have been told that I am the splitting image of Auntie Winnie, although to be honest, I can't see it myself.) The handwritten note on the back of this one indicates that it dates from June of 1928, and commemorates the occasion of a small but (for one of her means) rather exorbitant birthday celebration held in her honour at the Hotel Adlon (est. 1907) on Unter den Linden, in the Mitte district of Berlin. She would have just turned 25 here.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/1920s Berlin Project/173/61/27

1086304458_HotelAdlonBlank.thumb.png.c48db9be1d4cac8aef5ba2dae7205edc.png

I love the story!  (and the picture too!).  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I love the story!  (and the picture too!).  

Oh, thank you!!!

I'm pretty sure there will be more of the adventures of Auntie Winnie (who is sort of kind of based on my actual great aunt) in the future!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, moirakathleen said:

350207768_20190528CiampiatBhima_002.thumb.png.c51fde89eabbe585fd21ebe1a588adb5.png

I had  almost forgotten about Ciampi.  It's been a couple of years since I was last out there taking pictures.  

I love Ciampi. It's one of my regular spots. There are "nicer" Italian builds out there, but this one is so very accessible, and the owners are sweethearts. AND it's on the mainland, which I count as a point in its favour.

ETA: And @Peony Swee*****er has a place nearby!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, BelindaN said:

If I could hope for that level of improvement over, well, even six years, I would be shrieking with anticipation.......and delight.

Because even from 2013, your style and presentation has morphed beyond belief. Yeah really!

Thank you so much, Belinda :) Your images are already great, and you've thrown yourself into SL photography with as much enthusiasm as you did customising your avatar (I still remember that thread - heh!) so you'll probably progress much more quickly than I did.

I'm not that talented at setting up a scene, and I rarely have the time to find the perfect location, so I've found my niche in the styling itself, and in setting most of my images against a plain background, working with lighting, and a bit of filter post-processing. It's what works for me, so the more I do it I suppose the better I get at it.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

gb_evolution_.thumb.png.cb615055c8dd8f56cdf49d5ad803ed87.png

This is amazing Skell!!!! I just love seeing the growth artistically along with SL tech/mesh... very interesting and humbling. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1