How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

9 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Kate's the redhead in those shots. It's my neck on the line.. (Well, my blonde elven alt's neck.)

OMG. I don't know that I've ever seen you as a blonde! And I was going to compliment her on her look and hair style!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes, I did!

It's great that you've enlisted Roxy's help: she takes terrific pics, as you've undoubtedly seen scanning this thread.

I think these pics, as they stand, are lovely. You've actually chosen a really difficult subject: framing a pic with two avatars (and so, two points of focus), in action, and against a pretty complicated background is for sure going to be a challenge, but you've captured the scene very nicely.

I guess the question is . . . what kind of pics do you want to take? You could, for instance, and assuming your computer is up to it, add more sense of depth to these by employing some degree of depth of field, and shadows in Advanced Lighting Mode either from "natural" (*snort*) sources and local lights, or attached lights and projectors? But that may be something you're not interested in doing? Sometimes you want the scene to be relatively flat, for instance, if you're trying to catch a sort of cartoon/comic book feel.

You could also play with Windlight a bit to get some more interesting lighting effects, although I'm by no means an authority on that myself: I make pretty limited use of that.

In the final analysis, though, these are really great, and you should be very pleased with them! They are fun, and imaginative, and nicely shot! So yay you!!

(BTW, I hope you know what you're doing: Roxy is about a millisecond from taking your head off with that katana. And if that happens, it'll take forever to fix the neck seam again!)

Thank you :)

And as to your question, I honestly have no idea yet what kind of pictures I want to take. I mean, I've always been the type of person that, once I start analyzing things too much and complicating them, I stop seeing the value of why I am doing and enjoying it. So I like to look at things in a simple way.

With that said, of course, I also accept the inner child in me and when I see a new "toy" to play with, I simply "play" and have fun, trying new things. especially when it comes to things graphics and computer related. So I did play a bit with the windlight, on these pictures, using Fairie Blue as the setting, and then adjusting the slider until i felt i had a good enough light to highlight the scene without taking out the background entirely, but just enough to make it look important.

It took me over a week to plan this, finding the right poses, the right setting, and then finding the right spot in the setting, the outfit, the effects. It's like working on a puzzle until all the pieces fit in nicely. I never really knew how much effort and planning went into these so I have a much better appreciation now of everyone's pictures (not to say i didn't appreciate them before, as i did very much so lol) because of that experience. If anything, it made me love them even more than before :)

I also want to explore this a bit further, as I explained to Roxy after I was done, i thought about maybe using the picture to create a "comic book page" feel to it, or even edit things a bit to create a "comic book" type cover in a photo editing tool. I'm undecided on that yet though lol

All I really want to do is continue to be inspired by everyone here, and then show my appreciation by sharing the pictures I am inspired to create from the effort everyone puts into their, and just have fun at the same time making them :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Saravendi said:

BTW, what filters/program do you use? Lightroom? Thanks for the feedback! 😘

I never use any filters in-world, any editing I do is done externally. I use Gimp for my editing, PS is nice but it feels over-hyped and even with the student discount I don't think it's worth the money and the effort of re-learning all the hotkeys and features. Gimp can do 99% of the things PS can if you know what to look for, and with plug-ins, there's virtually nothing you can't do.

The process I've played around with for hair alphas, that unfortunately only work with dark hair, is to take two shots in-world. One with the hair, one bald, and then you lay the one with hair on top, and change its mode to 'Darken Only'. That way, the transparencies of the alphas don't appear at all, and you just fill in with the darker strands of hair (it might work with lighter hair too if you use two hair layers, put the lower of the two as darken only and the upper as lighten only - I haven't tried!). In some cases, like if you're wearing a black eyeliner, you might have to go in and do some masking with a brush.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ShibariKate said:

With that said, of course, I also accept the inner child in me and when I see a new "toy" to play with, I simply "play" and have fun, trying new things. especially when it comes to things graphics and computer related. So I did play a bit with the windlight, on these pictures, using Fairie Blue as the setting, and then adjusting the slider until i felt i had a good enough light to highlight the scene without taking out the background entirely, but just enough to make it look important.

This is totally the right way to approach this! What's the point of even being here if it's not to play and enjoy oneself! Personally, I think it's the best way of learning anyway.

I've sent you a few toys in-world to play with. You may or may not already have these, or may not even want them, but anyway they're there if you feel the urge to mess about with lighting

It took me over a week to plan this, finding the right poses, the right setting, and then finding the right spot in the setting, the outfit, the effects. It's like working on a puzzle until all the pieces fit in nicely. I never really knew how much effort and planning went into these so I have a much better appreciation now of everyone's pictures (not to say i didn't appreciate them before, as i did very much so lol) because of that experience. If anything, it made me love them even more than before :)

Yeah. I do occasionally take quickie pics, but most often a picture will take between a couple of hours, and a week, to set up. Sometimes, esp. when it involves making a backdrop, I find that the most fun part!

I also want to explore this a bit further, as I explained to Roxy after I was done, i thought about maybe using the picture to create a "comic book page" feel to it, or even edit things a bit to create a "comic book" type cover in a photo editing tool. I'm undecided on that yet though lol

All I really want to do is continue to be inspired by everyone here, and then show my appreciation by sharing the pictures I am inspired to create from the effort everyone puts into their, and just have fun at the same time making them :)

Great! Just keep sharing here!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AidySL said:

My top 5 docs

How dare you exclude Victor Frankenstein from such a list?!

image.png.1c0740a2d9de93258925ad314ac99031.png

Or this one!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Been on a mission since last night. I haven't changed my clothes, but i did re-texture my whole apartment. Got rid of the tattered curtains and the crumbling brick and went for a more sleek look. And special thanks to the person who posted the tip about switching the alpha blending mode on hair because it really came in handy for the conflicting transparencies with the new curtains behind my fish tank and crystal ball.

Snapshot_1554.png

Snapshot_1555.png

• Like 26

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

How dare you exclude Victor Frankenstein from such a list?!

image.png.1c0740a2d9de93258925ad314ac99031.png

Or this one!

Almost forgot the most important one.( and I have no idea who that man is you posted) But here she is, maybe she is as much fun as your doctor 🙂

Dr. Sandra Lee 

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

Hope everyone is having a good weekend so far! I am a bottle of red deep, so feeling pretty good at this juncture. And I liked this picture when I took it earlier, but now hate the hand positioning. Sigh.

Light.thumb.jpg.8818d6937d37a12c1600ab59b132f647.jpg

In vino veritas!

This is gorgeous Eva! EVEN THE HANDS!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In vino veritas!

Dulcior illa sapit caro, quae magis ossibus haeret. Wiggles eyebrows.

• Like 1