How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

On 1/26/2020 at 10:00 AM, Alyona Su said:

I understand. I presume it's my card (it's not as fancy-shmancy as some people have) :) https://jmp.sh/UOg5GkV But it's okay, I'm totally loving the look I get in BD over the others. :D

I'll be fine. And we don't want to annoy those who will forever be annoyed because these comments don't have pictures of avatars. I agree: it's their problem, but still. LOL Hopefully our technospeak will be helpful to those who appreciated it and not so snooty about thread titles. ~snorts~

Thank you. And ffs, talking about photography techniques in a photo thread is shameful? Since many people here have been talking about learning a new viewer, and those same people actively post (regularly) to this thread, the techno comments seem not only to be on point but welcomed by many. The technospeak convo goes to specific comments and questions posted along with the photos! If the photos are not on topic, what is? If one is not interested one can simply, I don't know, perhaps scroll past, don't read, don't ♥ the convo? I haven't noticed a decrease in the number of PHOTOS being posted since the technospeak began, if anything, there have been a few more showing "lookit what I done!" I, for one, am not really appreciating whole I'm Not A Linden Moderator But I Play One In This Thread routine.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 10

It was so fun getting together with the everyone this weekend! I am sad I just missed Scylla. Looking forward to the next get together with even more thread regulars. PARTY

This was taken at Whimberly. And I have @Angelina Stringto thank for the PhotoScape X mention in a past post. It's a great, FREE alternative to Photoshop. 

On the edge

• Like 34

2 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Thank you. And ffs, talking about photography techniques in a photo thread is shameful? Since many people here have been talking about learning a new viewer, and those same people actively post (regularly) to this thread, the techno comments seem not only to be on point but welcomed by many. The technospeak convo goes to specific comments and questions posted along with the photos! If the photos are not on topic, what is? If one is not interested one can simply, I don't know, perhaps scroll past, don't read, don't ♥ the convo? I haven't noticed a decrease in the number of PHOTOS being posted since the technospeak began, if anything, there have been a few more showing "lookit what I done!" I, for one, am not really appreciating whole I'm Not A Linden Moderator But I Play One In This Thread routine.

Yeah, comments like those pop-up from different people every once in a while. Like many, I see this thread as not only a picture gallery, but also as a resource for those wanting to do better than they are now.

And with that said, I'll give away my secret sauce: I try to never take my snapshots with the default camera; I almost always CTRL+0 six to eight times to "zoom" the image. It's what is called "Compressing the Field of View" in camera-speak, but what many do not realize is that it also removes the simulated lens distortion and "flattens" that, so the true avatar (or subject) shape comes through. (Another PRO-TIP: Do this when editing shape to see the true shape and you'll look amazing afterward.)

In my Ballet image in a previous post, I did the opposite: CTRL+8 two or three time to make a wider shot to get more of the theatre balconies in-frame, even though it adds more distortion. Think "Fisheye lens" - even though it doesn't go that far. :)

SO PRO-TIP: CTRL+0 and CTRL+8 are your best friends when snapshotting. (And CTRL+9 resets camera to default). So alt-cam, move camera back, away from subject, CTRL+0 four to eight times to get that look. Then turn on Depth of Field and voila!

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

SO PRO-TIP: CTRL+0 and CTRL+8 are your best friends when snapshotting. (And CTRL+9 resets camera to default). So alt-cam, move camera back, away from subject, CTRL+0 four to eight times to get that look. Then turn on Depth of Field and voila!

This is such a good tip. I learned this years ago. You can tell who, in this thread uses it and those who don't. The closeups that are done using the mouse scroll wheel (or similar) all get a fisheye lens distortion to them. This tip works regardless of what viewer and how good your computer is or isn't.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

This is such a good tip. I learned this years ago. You can tell who, in this thread uses it and those who don't. The closeups that are done using the mouse scroll wheel (or similar) all get a fisheye lens distortion to them. This tip works regardless of what viewer and how good your computer is or isn't.

I agree. And another tip to prevent the bullseye look: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+ Arrow keys to set your camera off-center. Because #Rule-of-Thirds! Hahaha. And these are SL commands, works in any and all viewers!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think perhaps I'm beginning to get a bit of a handle on Black Dragon. Other than cropping and resizing for the forum, this is straight out of the viewer, with no further editing. I'm not particularly aiming for that (I'm not a purist in that regard), but it does say something about the power of the viewer that so much that might normally be added in post-production can be achieved within it.

328257449_SummitBlank.thumb.png.2699daddd2941d4ad72128d610b1ecce.png

so "natural".... love this shot 😍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Bellissarian South Coast Sunrise

Bellisserian South-Coast Sunrise

I don't think I've ever made this many posts in such a short period of time in this thread. Ever. But I'm having way too much fun with visuals. This is just another example of how I get to see SL all over again, and with the same or even better performance I got with all the other viewers. It's like an entirely new graphics engine on the grid, I cannot help but to be awestruck.

And this is default camera view, other than a mouse wheel backward a flip to show a little more.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 24

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

RaeLee, was this shot in BD? It's a gorgeous picture in its own right (and really darling), but it also has, for  me, that really distinctive "BD look."

I tried to describe what I meant by that to Maddy the other day -- it's a certain softness and roundness around the edges of objects and avatars that is, I think, from the different way in which colours and shading are reproduced in that viewer.

(Of course, if this wasn't shot in BD, everything I've just said is obviously nonsense. But I'm willing to bet that this was!)

You are right, it was (so it's not nonsense!) :D 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1