How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

6 hours ago, Laika Ravikumar said:

The photography stuff that gets posted is for those who are interested in exploring that side of picture taking

As in everyone else is no?t dont quite get what that is supposed to mean

God knows I don't want to open this up again, but I would like to suggest that this thread should be big enough for a variety of different approaches and interests?

I know that there are people who don't post here as much anymore because they feel that the "serious" photography stuff has made it an intimidating or uncomfortable place to post simple snaps and screen grabs. And I know others who won't post here when it feels as though the "chatty" posts are crowding out the pics.

I similarly know that there are people who don't post here anymore because they've disliked attempts to police the thread and restrict the conversation. And if the thread drives out those who are really focused on the photography side (which would probably include me) -- well, that's probably a loss to the thread too.

Both approaches can have the tendency -- have had the tendency, in practice -- of excluding posters.

This is, literally, a pretty big thread. There should be lots of room for all kinds of approaches, no? The key, to accentuate the extremely obvious, is to be respectful of others who may not share one's own interests -- whether your are offering, or receiving, critique and/or advice.

One thing about which I will agree, however: we should be more careful about not cluttering up this thread with long, technical, and mostly prose posts about photography. That's not to say we can't talk about it -- just that the focus should remain upon the pics themselves. That's one of the reasons I created the BD thread: to give those of us who want to talk about the technical aspects and functions of that viewer a separate place to do it.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

@Scylla Rhiadra

You always take a balanced view which I thank you for.

When it comes down to name calling and saying people are stupid, that perhaps English is not their first language, to me that is lowering the tone of the whole conversation. Its akin to schoolyard bullying and I thought I had left that behind long ago.

It has no place here, or anywhere.  Making personal remarks because you are behind a screen and you dont like what someone says is just wrong.  

There was nothing malicious in anything I posted but the amount of vitriol I had back not just the part that everyone can see but in IM's  was something I had never experienced before , not on SL or in RL. 

My RL I work in an extremely competitive business mostly with men and get on really well. I dont know how things are in other parts of the world but here bullying in the workplace is not tolerated at all I guess I was naive enough to think it wouldn't happen on this forum so I hold my hands up and say yes in this instance I was stupid.

Suffice to say this episode has soured my whole view on SL which is actually more upsetting than I had thought it would be. 

And yes no pics so off topic for sure.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Laika Ravikumar said:

Suffice to say this episode has soured my whole view on SL which is actually more upsetting than I had thought it would be. 

Don't let them upset you.  You have as much right to your opinion as anyone else does and you didn't make it personal.  

And Happy Rezz Day tomorrow.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laika Ravikumar said:

I'm distressed by how upset this has obviously made you: I very much hope that you can put it behind you, and will continue to post the lovely shots that we have grown used to seeing here.

I am, to be honest, also distressed by how upset Seicher obviously became.

I haven't attempted to trace this back to its origins, nor even re-read the exchanges, and I have no intention of doing so: I don't think it's important. But my sense is that this escalated fast. Words can certainly wound, deeply -- but ultimately, they are just that: words. No one here was arguing about the exclusion of someone else: it was mostly, I think, about tone, which is always so difficult to manage in a purely textual medium like this. God knows, I have problems with it.

The really important thing to remember is that you belong here. This is your thread, as much as it is anyone's, and you've left your imprint all over it. You need to keep doing that.

Seicher is a more recent poster, but it is her thread too: she also belongs here. Really, there's not anyone posting here who doesn't. And for that reason, I really hope that we can put the words behind us, because what makes this thread special is the people -- all of the people -- in it.

So, hugs. And please treat us to more of your pictures . . . tomorrow?

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I very much hope that you can put it behind you, and will continue to post the lovely shots that we have grown used to seeing here.

Let' s all do that and collect the plenty made "Nuff said." and "Done. Whatevs." - statements made by anyone.

I know this includes me.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So . . . those shorts didn't come with a "bulge" option then?

Also, my Black Dragon senses are tingling.

I am a decent man who knows how to dress properly in public places. 

Also, cold water.

Edited by TomWes
  • Like 2
  • Haha 14