Leaving The US -- Has Anybody Moved Or Are You Considering?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 694 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If I could relocate anywhere, it would probably be Canada seeing that I was raised really close to it, knew transplants and had a lot of Canadian tourists that I enjoyed.  The problem is, it is really hard to become a citizen there for people like me.  I love the wilderness, and being away from people, having universal health care would be great, it wouldn't be so much of a culture shock and I would not need to learn a new language, which would be difficult  considering how poorly I do with my native one.  

I think instead, when I retire, I will get a little sailboat and travel the coasts of our continent.  I mean, that is one possible future, who knows? 

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 3

There was a time, 50 years ago, when I considered moving to Sweden but then life intervened. Since then, I have visited many places around the world and have thought idly about what it would be like to live there. At this point I am so deeply invested in life where I am that moving to another country is nothing more than a pipe dream. Besides, the thought of moving anywhere is really off-putting.  All the sifting and packing and shipping and unpacking is more than I care to face again. If I wait long enough, all of that will be someone else's problem. 

Now, if I could just move in to SL, that would be different .... 🤔

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

There was a time, 50 years ago, when I considered moving to Sweden but then life intervened. Since then, I have visited many places around the world and have thought idly about what it would be like to live there. At this point I am so deeply invested in life where I am that moving to another country is nothing more than a pipe dream. Besides, the thought of moving anywhere is really off-putting.  All the sifting and packing and shipping and unpacking is more than I care to face again. If I wait long enough, all of that will be someone else's problem. 

Now, if I could just move in to SL, that would be different .... 🤔

I made the huge mistake of going off to school with what...like 4-5 big heavy suitcases and carry-ons and a laptop bag and omg. This was obviously long before we got charged $50 per bag or whatever nonsense they're doing now. Miserable navigating airports with all that, I tell you. Absolutely miserable.

When I came back, I tossed almost everything and came with one suitcase. Shipped another to avoid having to deal with it. That was it. 

If I do it again, I'm not taking anything but a backpack. Rather start my whole life from scratch than pay $40+ a bag are they insane? Sheesh. I bet shipping is wayyyy more expensive now, too.

To be fair, that's how I travel in general. If it doesn't fit in a carry-on, I don't even take it with me. I learned my lesson. Luggage sucks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Istelathis said:

If I could relocate anywhere, it would probably be Canada seeing that I was raised really close to it, knew transplants and had a lot of Canadian tourists that I enjoyed.  The problem is, it is really hard to become a citizen there for people like me.  I love the wilderness, and being away from people, having universal health care would be great, it wouldn't be so much of a culture shock and I would not need to learn a new language, which would be difficult  considering how poorly I do with my native one.  

I think instead, when I retire, I will get a little sailboat and travel the coasts of our continent.  I mean, that is one possible future, who knows? 

Would love for ppl to come to live in Canada.Myself,every winter I wish I could live somewhere else.Our free health care is a really good thing,hopefully we never lose it.Sadly some of our politicians would like to see it privatized,especially our Alberta idiot.Canada is changing tho,more terrible things happening than before.Economically we are in tough shape since Covid,same as the rest of the world.I am so fortunate to have a job,everything is going up like crazy.I have always thought about somewhere tropical,but then you have different weather issues to watch out for,maybe some snakes and spiders big as my head.It is neat to dream sometimes about being somewhere else,but at the end of the day I am happy to be where I am.

• Like 4

I immigrated out of the US in 2010, and it was a long and expensive process to become a permanent resident of Canada. I do not regret it at all.

I would say the biggest advice I would give someone is to look at what skills and options they have and then open themselves to several country options, and then see about working in a country for 6-12 months if possible. Many countries offer 1-2 year working visas, allowing people to determine if it is a good fit. One of my best friends ended up settling in Estonia due to that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, junique Tigerfish said:

I have always thought about somewhere tropical,but then you have different weather issues to watch out for,maybe some snakes and spiders big as my head.

Same! I considered both Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands several years ago (that's not technically leaving leaving for me buuuuut, kind of sort of, and a way easier process), but then Hurricane Maria hit. I mean, I'm somewhat used to seeing hurricanes hitting those regions (St. Croix especially), but that one was massive and recovery is still in progress. Oof. 

Shame because I adore both of those places. Well, St. Croix less so. It's too quiet - St. Thomas has all the nightlife.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cube Republic said:

Uruguay is easy to emigrate to  

Uruguay is an interesting and often overlooked option. It's one of only two full democracies in the Americas (Canada is the other one), fairly nice climate, public health care and a fairly low cost of living. You have to have a high tolerance for tourists though and the crime rate is about the same as in the USA so rather high.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 5

You can come to England (lol, why does the emoji for 'flag of England' give this? 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿)

But you all must learn to pronounce 'Worcestershire' correctly first, and bring winter woollies. 

If you're rich, you can buy a castle in Scotland for much less than a New York apartment - https://search.savills.com/property-detail/gbedrseds100218    

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I think I would try to move to a less expensive state than move to a completely different country. Many governments around the world, even in so called democracies, are considerably less considerate of freedom and independence. 

Those "less expensive" states are generally speaking "less considerate" of the freedom and independence of marginalized people. So, you know. There's a certain amount of privilege involved in just packing up and moving to (say) Florida for the lower tax rates or whatever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Uruguay is an interesting and often overlooked option. It's one of only two full democracies in the Americas (Canada is the other one), fairly nice climate, public health case and a fairly low cost of living. You have to have a high tolerance for tourists though and the crime rate is about the same as in the USA so rather high.

I'm going to peek at this! Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

You can come to England (lol, why does the emoji for 'flag of England' give this? 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿)

But you all must learn to pronounce 'Worcestershire' correctly first, and bring winter woollies. 

If you're rich, you can buy a castle in Scotland for much less than a New York apartment - https://search.savills.com/property-detail/gbedrseds100218    

England would require a company to sponsor (same as many places), and so many companies in London and beyond hate doing that (I job hunted while there). I remember back in the early 2000s, company websites even had that in the footer - we do not sponsor, LOL.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Those "less expensive" states are generally speaking "less considerate" of the freedom and independence of marginalized people. So, you know. There's a certain amount of privilege involved in just packing up and moving to (say) Florida for the lower tax rates or whatever.

The discussion here is more about moving for financial reasons. Honestly, moving to places that are very affordable, like Mexico, seems like re-colonization to me. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

The discussion here is more about moving for financial reasons.

Moving abroad for financial reasons wasn't really why this thread was started. Luna and I started off discussing work visas and how difficult they can be to obtain, especially for freelancers, in the Pet Peeves thread. From there, we decided to just start a whole new thread to discuss expat success stories in general and pick each others' brains on how it was done. The reasons for moving can be varied - met someone in SL and decided to take the plunge, moving for college, moving for work/employment opportunities, met someone elsewhere online and got married, joined the Peace Corps, won the lotto, left to teach English, etc. Anything at all.

Me personally, it's been a lifelong dream to leave ever since I took my first international vacation and it only grew stronger the more I traveled around. Once I had a few trips under my belt and realized how much more comfortable I felt outside of the US, I was sold on living abroad (and managed it for a short time but only temporarily - I'd love to make it permanent).

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Forgot stuffs
  • Like 3

if I was a US citizen then I would move to Alaska. Then get busy and and find about 50,000 people who think the same as me to move there as well.  Be able to turn Alaska into a blue state (2 US Senators and 1 US House Representative) with 50,000 New Alaskans

Edited by Mollymews
50 to have a comfortable margin
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Anna Nova said:

There's always Mars.

Pretty sure that'll turn into an oligarchy pretty quickly. Also, you'll have a minimum latency of 3-22 minutes to depending on the planets' positions. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I think I would try to move to a less expensive state than move to a completely different country. Many governments around the world, even in so called democracies, are considerably less considerate of freedom and independence. 

You haven't been in Europe then.

• Like 7

I have lived in both Mexico and Barbados as well as a few states in the US and many visits to Canada to visit surrogate parents. I think it is important to realize that every country has good and bad points as well as good and bad people.  Attitude and choices make a big difference in finding your "perfect place" :D.   

Also LOL before getting to fixed on moving plans be sure and check to see if a country will take you. Many do not want Americans.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Caroline Takeda said:

You haven't been in Europe then.

Sssh, don't tell!

There are more than 300 million people in the USA and we don't have room for them all. Besides:

11 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Many do not want Americans.  

It's better to let them believe we are all sad, backwards and oppressed communists. ;)

But with that being said:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

The discussion here is more about moving for financial reasons. Honestly, moving to places that are very affordable, like Mexico, seems like re-colonization to me. 

Like I said, there's an element of risk to moving to those "less expensive" states and an element of privilege involved in deciding you'll be insulated from those risks. 

• Like 4

I am actually in a process of going through paperwork and such for emigration. Not from US though.

The whole process is awfully complicated. Our timing being forced by political events doesn't help either, and so do not many Covid restrictions that are still in place. Plus me having to find a new job (current one is tied to location), plus getting two kittens ready for travel... list goes on and on and on. But putting one foot in front of the other seem to work slowly but surely.

Still considering multiple countries - a few in Europe, then both me and my partner in crime are fascinated with maybe traveling through South Asia for a few years. And then there's Canada, which seems like a good place to settle down, outmatched only by Scandinavian countries and the like.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

There are more than 300 million people in the USA and we don't have room for them all.

The US has a staggering amount of undeveloped space compared to Europe, population density here is barely a thing, even the cites are small.

The difference .. the US has pitifully low investment in infrastructure and public transit (especially rail) so everyone has to drive, no one is building affordable housing so there is nowhere to live. American suburbia is so spread out and so sprawling that it fails to generate the tax income required to support it's own basic infrastructure, requiring continual suburban expansion to generate funding just to maintain the existing (basically a ponzi at this point). It's also why there are no sidewalks, no local facilities and giant multilane mega highways for days.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 694 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.