Leaving The US -- Has Anybody Moved Or Are You Considering?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, MoiraKathleen said:

That's good to know.  A road trip up through Oregon and Washington is definitely in our future plans. Now that my husband is retiring next month that may be a good trip to plan for next spring or summer.  

I'll wave as you drive by. 🤭

• Like 2

On 7/14/2022 at 12:31 PM, NevaehHeartstrings said:

Mexico like many countries are constantly being destabilized by the US Government who follow policies set in the 1950's to keep most of the world destabilized including Latin America to ensure US Global Hegemony regardless of what political party is in power.  the more Americans move to Mexico in the next few years your going to see double or triple the cost of living there combined with rising inflation and a much weaker dollar that you might get from retirement funding. 

Your better choice would be someplace in rural isolated America even Alaska or cut the ambilocal cord completely and move to South America. one of the small rural nations that is not on the government list to "bring democracy" AKA does not have physical resources some american government clowns business friends want. 

Your ahead of the curve Luna whatever you do getting out will be the best choice you could make. many places in SA have weather and climate patterns very close to the US Midwest and lots of English speakers as well.

In SA you can still play SL as many countries have better Internet service then in the US.

Good Luck and God Bless.

Thanks for the info and blessings!

Originally I was looking at South America and perhaps I should again...like Ecuador.  I did start to notice some of the Mexican towns I was interested in (with more expats) were not so cheap -- often equal to say a cheaper state in the US but not as bad as the coasts.  I'm worried too about the water situation as it's getting dire in some places. And then...this Russian connection with Central America is not looking good, especially if one is in southern Mexico and so close.

And like you say...the best country to consider is one the US doesn't want something from.

Edited by Luna Bliss

20 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

We have all of that here, too. Well, in some states. Colorado is big for all of that, I know. Utah, Vermont. Wyoming. Upstate NY, as well. Ski resorts galore.

But yeah, I'm good without ever, ever, ever, ever seeing another winter again. And there's probably nothing I can think of short of ten million dollars and 5 dates with Keanu that would ever get me to play outside in the snow. 😂

They even have all that in Dubai. I mean it's indoors and simulated snow. But still, they have it there. However, I would not want to go to the UAE. As I think the UAE is a theocracy and women are not humans in the eyes of the government. 

On 7/14/2022 at 9:13 AM, Brightstar7777 said:

They just shut the last abortion clinic here, state attorneys general gunning to end the injunction against an 1864 Arizona Territory (pre US-integration) law in order to bring criminal charges against doctors who provide women with access to basic universal reproductive health care. 

It seems silly that I wound up here for a job. I guess that I told myself, "Oh, they're human beings. They'll behave civilized. In the end, all that stuff they say must just be political posturing for the cameras." No, these guys are pathological and dangerous and they control things they mustn't be allowed to here in this place regardless of the widespread recognition of borderless and universal human rights. 

Here's a picture of a real actual prison in Arizona, it is not some movie set of atrocities long past.

ap_080131028013_custom-bef038022676d1ae7

I think everyone who lives somewhere with gender inequity should get up and move to a better place, but some of us really need help and support making that leap, finding employment, finding housing, finding a society to integrate with in a new community. It's easier for me to commit to that jump right now because I'm mid-transition on so many things anyway, it makes sense to continue in a more nurturing social and political environment, assuming that I can find such a situation, recognize it, and make the leap across the logistical gap despite everything.

I hope you can get out of there! In addition to returning to laws codified in the 1800's which remove women's rights, Arizona temperatures look worse than usual according to news reports warning that some hiking trails are closed due to the heat.

So many are stuck where they are in the US, as it takes quite a chunk of $ to move, not to mention the fact that most of the more progressive locations are prohibitively expensive. 

Another factor -- I'm not sure the bastions in the US where human rights are still in existence (like CA) can remain so, as we are increasingly seeing the desire to wreak havoc nationally once the cult comes into power.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

California. I am planning on moving to California.

California does have gender-affirming care for those with disability income whereas many of the red states do not. I'm not sure how long they could hold out if the 2024 election puts those in power who don't respect human rights though, and so could be something to consider.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

California does have gender-affirming care for those with disability income whereas many of the red states do not. I'm not sure how long they could hold out if the 2024 election puts those in power who don't respect human rights though, and so could be something to consider.

Something to consider with California is that our state holds a good deal of power vs. the federal government because of our large population, high GDP and overall prosperity. We provide more tax money to the federal government that we get back in assistance, though wildfires are starting to level out this discrepancy. Our current and previous governor showed no fear of the previous federal administration, though I think if Gavin Newsom tries to run for president, he's going to get his butt handed back to him pretty fast. He's not beloved in his own state, and he's disliked in many others. 

p.s.

We were one of the first states to legalize medical marijuana at the state level, then to legalize recreational marijuana at the state level. Yay for States Rights! (at least some of the time).

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

They even have all that in Dubai. I mean it's indoors and simulated snow. But still, they have it there. However, I would not want to go to the UAE. As I think the UAE is a theocracy and women are not humans in the eyes of the government. 

My closest college roommate (out of the 6 of them) was from Dubai. She swore to the moon and back I would absolutely love it there. I've watched some 4K walkthrough tours in the city and it just doesn't even look like a real place to me. It's like Vegas times a thousand. Beautiful, though, so I can see what she meant. I do tend to like very modern architecture. I'm just too poor to live there. 😂

I'm actually not entirely opposed to living in the Middle East. My second closest roomie was from Bahrain. I felt closer to and had more in common with those two girls than I did my roomies from the U.S. We were inseparable despite the petty arguments that arose from time to time (too many people under one roof will do that). I'd need to travel extensively first before making such a major change, though.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 3:07 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

Something to consider with California is that our state holds a good deal of power vs. the federal government because of our large population, high GDP and overall prosperity. We provide more tax money to the federal government that we get back in assistance, though wildfires are starting to level out this discrepancy. Our current and previous governor showed no fear of the previous federal administration, though I think if Gavin Newsom tries to run for president, he's going to get his butt handed back to him pretty fast. He's not beloved in his own state, and he's disliked in many others. 

p.s.

We were one of the first states to legalize medical marijuana at the state level, then to legalize recreational marijuana at the state level. Yay for States Rights! (at least some of the time).

Send over a brownie, girl!   :)

I hope your state does indeed have enough power to defend against the cult.

I didn't know CA wasn't fond of Newsom. What don't they like?

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Send over a brownie, girl!   :)

I hope your state does indeed have enough power to defend against the cult.

I didn't know CA wasn't fond of Newsom. What don't they like?

In my opinion, he seems kind of fake, he's too cozy with special interests such as PG&E (a major power company that's been responsible for several major fires that destroyed property and killed people), and he's gotten in trouble for going to a birthday dinner at a fancy restaurant when the rest of the state was supposed to be isolating from COVID. Early in his term he was viewed as a strong opponent to the DJT administration, but the bloom is off the rose now. There was an attempt to unseat him with a special election, but that failed.

Better than Brownies, are gummies and chocolates. I was going to link to some, but I don't think the Mods would like that.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

I think the big thing was when Governor Newsom was speaking about the need for everyone to wear masks and to not gather in groups such as friends or family and then he was caught at a birthday party where no one was wearing masks in a posh restaurant in Napa valley. I guess his alcoholism is a problem and the whole adultery thing. He's a fake pandering disgrace of a politician.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 4:07 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

p.s.

Only 8 states give more to the Fed than they receive. California isn't one of them. The 8 states that do give more than they receive are New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Colorado, Minnesota, Utah and Nebraska. I'm guessing at one point California was on this list, I remember reading years ago that it was the only state that could leave the US and benefit from doing so but with all the droughts and fires of recent years they have required more and more federal funding. Regardless, California is still way down the list (43rd) in terms of federal dependency.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/state-bailouts-federal-spending-give-receive/

https://smartasset.com/data-studies/states-most-dependent-on-the-federal-government-2022

(updated link for dependency to show 2022 data. Previous was 2020.)

Edited by Finite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

In my opinion, he seems kind of fake, he's too cozy with special interests such as PG&E (a major power company that's been responsible for several major fires that destroyed property and killed people), and he's gotten in trouble for going to a birthday dinner at a fancy restaurant when the rest of the state was supposed to be isolating from COVID. Early in his term he was viewed as a strong opponent to the DJT administration, but the bloom is off the rose now. There was an attempt to unseat him with a special election, but that failed.

Better than Brownies, are gummies and chocolates. I was going to link to some, but I don't think the Mods would like that.

Thanks...some of that Newsom stuff is drifting back to me now that you mention the specifics.

I was being silly about the brownies, as that is illegal in my state. I should have tried them when visiting my daughter in CA a few years ago. Maybe some day MJ will be legal here. I remember the effects from my teenage years, and preferred the kind that was more psychedelic vs the slumber inducing type.

• Like 2

half a dozen years ago I faced a choice. I was in a bad state employment-wise, would have had to move out of the local market to get a new job in my field anywhere near my usual salary range. (When you refuse to do something unethical and prove that it WOULD have been both unethical and illegal, the VP whose pet project you just shot down in flames in front of the board will try to destroy you by any means possible, thanks to a reorganisation when my boss left to pursue other opportunities, I ended up reporting to her, so "it was written" as they say). I had finally lost the battle to keep my house, my retirement funds had gone from "adequate" to "nonexistent." I had several thousand left but when they ran out I'd have been homeless if I stayed in the USA. On the other hand if I used up those remaining funds moving back to the UK I would have a place to live in, the support of my family and at least some breathing room.

So I moved. Got lucky enough to establish myself in the local music scene and make that my primary career until COVID hit and required me to take a low-end "day job" to keep the lights on when all the venues closed. It's working out ok.

The point being, deciding to move is a big thing. BUT... If you do decide to do it, make that decision before you get to the point that it would be hard - or even impossible - to do so without ending up completely destitute at your destination. And do it without regrets.

In another world, I'd be contemplating a comfortable retirement in the upper midwest about now. If the price of that had been that I participated in something that would have cost THOUSANDS of Americans their homes and exposed the company I worked for to unthinkable liability, I'm glad I'm in this world not that other one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

In another world, I'd be contemplating a comfortable retirement in the upper midwest about now. If the price of that had been that I participated in something that would have cost THOUSANDS of Americans their homes and exposed the company I worked for to unthinkable liability, I'm glad I'm in this world not that other one.

It's commendable that you did the right thing!  And it actually helped.

I've afraid my major foray into choosing the group over the safety of myself only got me a burned up arm in a multi-car pile-up on a foggy interstate when I was trying, with another, to move a car off the middle of the road.

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's commendable that you did the right thing!  And it actually helped.

I've afraid my major foray into choosing the group over the safety of myself only got me a burned up arm in a multi-car pile-up on a foggy interstate when I was trying, with another, to move a car off the middle of the road.

There's actually a reason why they teach every first responder that the first thing you have to do is assess the situation so you don't end up needing your colleagues to rescue you. Sometimes, though, the need of others overrides that training. I know I saw it happen more than once on RNLI shouts in my distant youth when I was a crew volunteer. Bear the scars with pride, they were honorably gained.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.