Do you have an Internal Monologue?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That was a properly interesting video to watch, thanks for sharing it^^

I couldn't imagine what it'd be like to not be constantly talking to myself in my head haha. I'm forever doing it. 

"I need to wash dishes."
"Ugh I don't want to wash dishes.
"-sigh- just do it"
"Okay thirty minutes later... I'm lazy ... let's go do it now"
"that's gross what is that"
"oh okay it's just a noodle"
"It's funny how waterlogged noodles get. Youd' think it would just .... stop"

• Like 6

I definitely do. I suffer from PSA and as a result I have developed some anxiety over the years. I often have to ask myself (internally) how I will accomplish something that may be physically challenging or how I will feel when people react to me wobbling about like I am 90. I also have to talk myself through moments that may trigger anxiety. Over time, I have become good at talking myself down when my anxiety gets too elevated. I have become my own support.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SilizArts said:

That was a properly interesting video to watch, thanks for sharing it^^

I couldn't imagine what it'd be like to not be constantly talking to myself in my head haha. I'm forever doing it. 

"I need to wash dishes."
"Ugh I don't want to wash dishes.
"-sigh- just do it"
"Okay thirty minutes later... I'm lazy ... let's go do it now"
"that's gross what is that"
"oh okay it's just a noodle"
"It's funny how waterlogged noodles get. Youd' think it would just .... stop"

Yeah, those are the sorts of dialog that I'm constantly having. 

I truly do talk to myself all the time, though as I've gotten older, not all of that dialog stays in my head.  My husband is constantly asking me what I said, just to have me respond with "Oh nothing, just talking to myself again".

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah, those are the sorts of dialog that I'm constantly having. 

I truly do talk to myself all the time, though as I've gotten older, not all of that dialog stays in my head.  My husband is constantly asking me what I said, just to have me respond with "Oh nothing, just talking to myself again".

hahaha people are forever asking me who I'm talking to or why I'm making strange noises at the most random / quietest moments for this precise reason.

• Like 2

I don't have an internal monologue, but it's not like the person in the video. I don't need words to think, so I don't speak out loud to think. I can think in words when it's a word task (like preparing a speech), but it's more like I'm translating from my thoughts into the words everyone else uses.

Where I do share an experience with the video is I also thought internal monologues were made up to tell stories. Then I found out they were real.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

I don't have an internal monologue, but it's not like the person in the video. I don't need words to think, so I don't speak out loud to think. I can think in words when it's a word task (like preparing a speech), but it's more like I'm translating from my thoughts into the words everyone else uses.

Where I do share an experience with the video is I also thought internal monologues were made up to tell stories. Then I found out they were real.

I completely understand❤️ I think it's a wide spectrum that can change as the person changes as at one time for years I had no internal monologue when i lived around/with abusive people in the past it made it so much worst due to not being able to speak due to potential conflict. my thoughts were organized different as if it was in a filing cabinet and accessed differently then now.

• Like 1

I sometimes have a monologue and I sometimes don't articulate my thoughts, just experience them in abstract concepts. I've often wondered how the inner monologue works, since I know what words I'm going to use before I've used them.

I often think of myself in the third person as a character in a story that I'm living through. I've been doing that since I was about four and met a friendly cat in the garden. In my head I was thinking: "Amina thought what a lovely cat it was, with such shiny black fur. It began to purr and rub against her..." 

I've experienced what seem to me to be high levels of dissociation at times, eg during BDSM scenes or at school when being told off...don't know how common it is.

I'm both a writer and a maladaptive daydreamer, which might be relevant.

• Like 1

I was surprised to find out that some people claim not to have an inner monologue 🙂

When I started studying meditation, so much attention was spent on reconciling with that “chattering monkey” in our heads that it seems a common situation…

The sum total of what I’ve gathered over the years is to; “Ignore the chattering monkey - all it can do is either react too late to be relevant, be a mouthpiece for the less savory parts of you -  or upset you by borrowing *possible* trouble from tomorrow”

Now ask me how much effort that takes 🙂

image.gif

Edited by Amanda Crisp
Clarity
  • Like 1

I'm a pretty extreme word thinker. Even my dreams (as far as I remember them) are at least for 50 percent words.
When I try to think to much in pictures it always results in an upcoming headache.
How I think really deep down inside, I don't know.  The best solutions and ideas just pop up, sometimes in a split second, sometimes atfer a while, without me being really aware where they came from other than from inside my head.

I hope that makes some sense. It does for me.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm a pretty extreme word thinker. Even my dreams (as far as I remember them) are at least for 50 percent words.
When I try to think to much in pictures it always results in an upcoming headache.
How I think really deep down inside, I don't know.  The best solutions and ideas just pop up, sometimes in a split second, sometimes atfer a while, without me being really aware where they came from other than from inside my head.

I hope that makes some sense. It does for me.

While I'm primarily a visual thinker, most of my thoughts are fuller experiences.

When I imagine a concept like an apple, I can "see" the apple in my head (green, placed on a white plate on a white table), but I can also clearly "taste" it or "feel" the texture. And if I'm going through a conversation in my head, I have a sense of multiple people (each participant, different voices) being next to each other with body language, generally in POV of the speaker, sometimes with clear details of the surroundings. I can make myself physically cringe if I recall times (or imagine new ways) I've been injured, etc. Emotions can also be pretty strong, and I can get pretty distracted thinking about those things.

It's pretty nonstop so I prefer playing music/videos to make myself not think, even in the shower or I'll spend 30 minutes in there.

P.S. It's probably no surprise that I'm a pretty lucid dreamer too, usually very long and stable/seamless.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3

I'm good at thinking in music as well.
When my inner jukebox starts playing the songs I'm either totally relaxed in minutes or totally pi**** off because I can't get rid of the songs.

I have dreamed parts and themes for symphonies and concertos I'm pretty sure I've never heard ever before.
Sad thing is I can hardly read or write a note.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.