In the money

ballparkdogg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I accidentally paid my friends partner 30K L$ once when I was supposed to be sending it to my alt 🙄   I didn't even notice where it went as I was distracted.  Luckily he noticed an hour or so later when he logged in and sent it straight back.  After that I never sent L$ anywhere when I was juggling 3 things at once :)

What would put your account at greater risk, supposedly?

Return the full amount to the account who paid it? Or contact support in any way, explain that you received a sum of L$, unasked for, and you'd like to pay it to a Linden account for "safekeeping"?

I'd think chances were be high that there would be some attempt at money laundering involved. I'd place a genuine mistake in the realms of way less likely, simply because I'd find it unlikely that your profile suddenly pops up for a total stranger and they'd blindly pay such a large sum without double checking. More likely: a friend mis-picking a name from the friend list, but then I'd suspect a quick message as a follow-up.

Hmmm some free money. I would just keep it unless of course that person contacts me within a few days and explains that they have send it by mistake.
If they don't i will gladly spend those money as usual in order to buy stuff or pay people for their services.

ForsakenCircularKilldeer-size_restricted
  • Haha 1

This is a tricky question.

If I was given the money, I'd keep it in my account(Being careful not to spend it) and contact support immediately. If it was a smaller sum of money, I'd ignore it, but large sums like that are highly suspicious.

The system is not designed to be friendly towards fraud, this includes money laundering. As such, support may instruct you to pay the money to Governance Linden.

If the paying resident requests you to pay it back, I would state that you are currently contacting support regarding the situation. If they demand it back, inform them that the transaction is a "resident to resident" dispute, and as such, is not a violation of the terms of service for you to hold onto the money until you get everything sorted out with support, and that they should be more careful and check to make sure who they are sending the money to before pressing send.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure this has popped up at the Governance meetings, I recall it was suggested look up who sent you the money and AR for fraud.  That way Governance would look at it and if it's legit you'll end up keeping it and enjoying it.

That way, you've protected yourself and possibly saved someone else's account.

I'm not so sure I would notice.  I don't watch my L$ balance very closely.  I check it going in to each weekend to ensure I've got enough to cover whatever I might spend in the weekend sales, but when I do buy L$, I buy them is fairly large quantities.  Thus having a high L$ balance wouldn't really alert me to anything unless I remembered that it had been quite a while since I bought them  -- and there are definitely no guarantees when my memory is involved.

If I happened to notice, I'd probably open a ticket with LL about it - let them decide if it was okay for me to keep the money or not.

• Like 1

I agree completely with @Chaser Zaks.

I'd keep it, and send in a support case with the transaction details, and ask LL to determine if the funds were legitimate.

The suggestion by @Adamburp Adamczyk of sending in an AR instead is also good, although it would feel pretty strange to be AR'ing someone who may have just sent me a very very nice present!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

If I didn't know the person I'd send it back and notify LL.  I don't want to get caught in possible money laundering.

@ballparkdoggI don't know why you found this comment of mine funny, except perhaps that you've never been caught up in an attempt at spreading laundered money out of sight.  When I was letting out parcels on a private island I was paid several weeks' rent in advance for a large parcel.  Normally I'd quickly change that up into USD but for whatever reason didn't get round to it.  Just a few hours later the linden dollars vanished and I was fielding emails from Governance, who'd passed up the fact to the Fraud team.  Both teams, I have to say, were polite but it was a very unpleasant experience that could have been a lot worse if I hadn't put off the dollar conversion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

@ballparkdoggI don't know why you found this comment of mine funny, except perhaps that you've never been caught up in an attempt at spreading laundered money out of sight.  When I was letting out parcels on a private island I was paid several weeks' rent in advance for a large parcel.  Normally I'd quickly change that up into USD but for whatever reason didn't get round to it.  Just a few hours later the linden dollars vanished and I was fielding emails from Governance, who'd passed up the fact to the Fraud team.  Both teams, I have to say, were polite but it was a very unpleasant experience that could have been a lot worse if I hadn't put off the dollar conversion.

Passing linden back and forth and calling it money laundering

19 hours ago, ballparkdogg said:

20,000 linden someone accidentally sent you

This is what strikes me as the important bit. It’s not logging in and discovering my L$ balance is mysteriously 20K higher than when I logged out. I know where it came from, how it got there and that it isn’t mine. I would think about calling support, especially if it came from some rando n00b, to make sure it isn’t some kind of scam. Like they bought $80 of L$ with a stolen credit card and were trying to stick me holding the bag when the chargeback comes. But in any case, it’s someone else’s money. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.