In the money

ballparkdogg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

We're talking about eighty bucks. What failed criminal is laundering eighty bucks? And how are they actually benefiting from it?

That's only one transaction.  Criminals may spread their loot over many accounts, in the hope of retrieving it via accounts they own or those owned by others whom they control.

9 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

We're talking about eighty bucks. What failed criminal is laundering eighty bucks? And how are they actually benefiting from it?

Having worked for a couple of decades in the finance and insurance industry, I can answer this. These small transactions on stolen cards are usually testers, to see how closely the card owner is paying attention to their monthly statements. Often it's not even a stolen card, just a cloned or stolen number, so the genuine card owner may not even be aware that their card has been compromised. So the criminals make a small purchase on a throwaway account with a barely-known company like this and if the card owner doesn't notice and challenge the transaction with their bank, then they move on to bigger and more useful transfers.

So if I received a large payment, you can bet that I'll AR it and wait for Linden Lab to claim the money back like they did with Garnet (because Linden Lab will need to refund that money back to the stolen card).  Although having read some of the posts here, I think now I would prefer to submit a support ticket first, and let them tell me if an AR is  more appropriate.

I would also anticipate that my own account would be placed on "administrative hold" until it was resolved; after all, Linden Lab wouldn't want to risk me going off and spending that money until they've established whether it's legit or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't know how someone could accidentally send me 20K lindens in the first place....?  If I were working, I'd guess so in that they are typing in an amount but with accidentally adding 0's.  

I'd probably think it was a legitimate tip because there are rich in SL...I've met some or so they say.  But, then the OP is eluding to the fact that I know it's accidental, so the sender must be IMing me then.  If I hadn't read this thread, I would have just sent the tip back.

I do recall once being at a club and the hostess thanking a guest so much and saying "that is the biggest tip I ever got!"  I wonder how much she got?  I was thinking probably about 2K but I have no idea.   

But, again, if I never read this thread, I would have just sent it back.  Money laundering would have never occurred to me.  What would occur to me is that someone accidentally sent me a high sum of money and wants it back so I would have sent it back.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

I would contact the person and thank them for sending me the money and then asking why it was done. If they explain it was a mistake, I'd pay the entire amount back to them. I've had people accidentally send me more than they meant to or sent to me instead of someone else. I've always returned it when asked.

I don't know about money laundering in SL and even what it is, confuses me. I've only heard about it in movies or read about it, from real life of big businesses doing it. 

I wouldn't have known to contact support over it.

I'm glad I opened this post and learned something new.

• Like 1

If it will be only once, it's about 83 usd approx, I believe.

It's not about a huge amount of money.  I think that money laundering needs more than that.

Often in RL Ι wonder what would I do if I'd found some wallet with a big amount of money.  I always focus in eventual dangers that might arise for me, and then I consider the possibility that the owner perhaps really needed and could not replace this money. But I do not think -speaking to myself- that I would willingly return it or give it away.

I only try to dream a situation where I might take advantage of my luck without being in danger or harm the owner of the "treasure".

Lost wallet.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.