What are we reading

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 86 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I started reading LOTR for the first time ever this time last year about. I never even got through half way since I moved countries and had to get rid of most of my books. I didn't have it in ebook form. Besides the fact it is an intense read especially when in the middle of a large move. Hubby recently found a used copy with this cover for me in a charity shop so I've started from the beginning. I'm excited to be able to get through all three books this time!

https://www.sprubitz.co.uk/ekmps/shops/sprubitz/images/the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-by-j.r.r.-tolkien-omnibus-paperback-book-1995-3456-p[ekm]668x1000[ekm].jpg

Edited by Dafadilia Wayfarer
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Between books at the moment, but when I start up again, it will either be something about dragons & magic or something about vampires, werewolves, witches & such.

My reading is almost always purely fiction/fantasy - nothing even remotely true or RL.  My reading if completely for enjoyment and escape from RL.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Between books at the moment, but when I start up again, it will either be something about dragons & magic or something about vampires, werewolves, witches & such.

My reading is almost always purely fiction/fantasy - nothing even remotely true or RL.  My reading if completely for enjoyment and escape from RL.

I read to escape reality, as well.  I love fiction and getting lost in a good fantasy story.  Maybe I'll go find some trashy romance book and start something new.

I'll post back here when I pick one.

• Like 4

Currently reading Martin Scorsese presents the Blues, on recommendation of my partner. Before that, she and I read To Live is to Die: the Life and Death of Metallica's Cliff Burton.

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I read to escape reality, as well.  I love fiction and getting lost in a good fantasy story.  Maybe I'll go find some trashy romance book and start something new.

I'll post back here when I pick one.

I'm generally more a sci-fi goober otherwise, myself! 😃 Recently read the Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy, which are: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and the Last Command, which were written in the early 1990s by Timothy Zahn.

• Like 4

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

Hating it.

And

The Wheel on the School by Meindert de Jong, because we did a play at school based on the book. I was the scrap man who donated my broken old wheel, so I've gone on a bit of a nostalgia trip reading a children's book. It's so lovely though.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Have you read Shannon Mayer?  I think most are free to read with Kindle Unlimited.

https://www.shannonmayer.com/books/

Or Bella Forrest...

https://bellaforrestbooks.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If you haven't yet or it's been a long time, Anne McCaffery's Dragonriders of Pern series. Todd's (her son) books aren't bad. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Have you read Shannon Mayer?  I think most are free to read with Kindle Unlimited.

https://www.shannonmayer.com/books/

Or Bella Forrest...

https://bellaforrestbooks.com/

Hadn't encountered Shannon Mayer yet - made note of her.  Came upon Bella Forest a few months back - can't remember what sent me there, but have her on my list to check out.  Thanks

56 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

If you haven't yet or it's been a long time, Anne McCaffery's Dragonriders of Pern series. Todd's (her son) books aren't bad. 

She was one of my first Dragon authors many years ago.  She was partly responsible for my love of dragons.

I'm also anxiously awaiting Patricia Briggs' next Mercy novel and her next Alpha & Omega -- Thank you for turning me on to her a few years ago.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

Last week I read The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson.  I read it because I was invited by a friend to a book discussion group with her and her daughter's friends, and that was the book chosen for discussion at the end of this month.  I wasn't sure I would like it, as I don't really like many horror or psychological thrillers, but I found it to be very captivating,  and it turned out to be one of those books I think I'll read just a chapter or two with breakfast, but then end up reading all day and evening (and maybe the next day) until I finish it. 

This week I'm in the middle of reading Cannery Row by John Steinbeck.  I'd read his East of Eden and Grapes of Wrath many years ago, but hadn't read Cannery Row until now.   It's not a "sit until I finish reading it" book for me, but still an enjoyable read. 

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

One of my favorite series of books, and probably the only series that both me and my husband read.  When I first joined SL, I was excited to find an off-cannon RP group based on her books, and I was active with that group for several years.

• Like 5

I'm currently near the end of John's Gospel.  My routine is to read the Bible from start to finish in one translation then begin again with another.  For secular reading I'm on the 12th book of a long family saga overall known as 'The Morland Dynasty' by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles.  I began it many years ago, being interested in the mainly Yorkshire setting.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 86 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.