What are we reading

Pussycat Catnap

I just finished the sequel to Rebelwing by Andrea Tang. Renegade Flight. Both books are of a future world in which corporations are combating free living governments for control of the world. It involves people who can bond with combat "dragons" controlled by   sentient AIs.   The books are 15 years apart in the story but some characters of the first book are in the second book, but with a different main character.  Fun reads. they are adult books but suitable for older YA readers. 16-19. There is some adult language, but no adult scenes.

I'm starting  a book by  Jackson Ford that I bought simply because of the title.

"The Girl Who Could Move Sh*t With Her Mind."   Yes, that's how it's titled.  With the asterisk.

The intro promises to make it a funny and interesting read. The girl in question is the ONLY person in the world who can manipulate matter with her mind. 

The Girl Who Could Move Sh*t with Her Mind by Jackson Ford, Paperback |  Barnes & Noble®

EDIT: There are 2 sequels in print. 

Edited by Doris Johnsky
  • Like 1

Re-reading the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov

Was a bit hesitating because the books are pretty old but loved them many years back. But they still read as well as they did back then, does not feel outdated at all.

And funny that they just released it as TV series, so when finished with the books, I will definitely go watch that too.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

image.jpeg.dc0a21eb98a71e7c2e6a0a6694762c58.jpeg

I agree with the review by the Washington Post except I didn't like the way it ended. It's been a while since I read the last one and this sequel was very satisfying until the end which was a cliff hanger and pissed me off.  Now I imagine it will be another ten years before I get to read the last book of the (projected)10 book series. 

image.jpeg.4041c405ea226af7269f593b43a86bd9.jpeg

“But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin.”

"...most men and women will grow up to love their servitude and will never dream of revolution.”

Worth a read if you want a very early and prescient perspective on modern society and maybe where this whole metaverse thing might take us 🙂

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

What a mother goes through (by Katerina Mananedaki).

It's α novel that has been adapted as a play and staged, funny, modern and lively.

Αlthough it was written 16 years ago. Very nice language, I do not think it has 
been translated into English.
Ιts subject is a working mother who wants and manages to give birth to a child.

Mananedaki.jpg

Edited by examining

I gave the book All Saints Hotel and Cocktail Lounge to one of my kids for Christmas.  It was handed back to me today to read it for myself.  It's not my usual escapist/paranormal/scifi fiction.  When I read or watch TV I usually choose topics as far from reality as possible.  I see enough "real" every day.  It's also not written for me (Gen X,) but written for millennial/Gen Z.  I guess it got to number 1 in political fiction.  I suppose I'll give it a try because book club with my kids is the best.  Has anyone read it?  Anyway, it's next.  I'll start it tonight.

book.png

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 2:19 PM, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy. I was 16 years old when I first read and completely fell in love with this book. Barely reading it for a second time in my forties. It is even better than i remember.

Maeve_Binchy_-_Circle_of_Friends_A_Novel.jpeg

I only recently got into Maeve Binchy. Isn't she great. I have just finished reading Evening Class and have got The Copper Beech and Tara Road to read some time soon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

I only recently got into Maeve Binchy. Isn't she great. I have just finished reading Evening Class and have got The Copper Beech and Tara Road to read some time soon.

Maeve Binchy was an incredible writer! I agree heartily. All of the above you mentioned are beautifully written. Once you get through those, Circle of Friends, Silver Wedding and The Lilac Bus are wonderful too. Her characters have so many layers. They are rich and varied. I love how she can make it so easy to love, hate and be repulsed by her characters all at the same time depending on the story or book. That takes talent. Out of all the books I read of Binchy's, I still love Circle of Friends best. Benny is still my all time favorite Binchy character. She is endearingly sweet along with her bestfriend Eve. I'll be quiet now. I got carried away a bit. I love that you found her! She is a gem. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

Maeve Binchy was an incredible writer! I agree heartily. All of the above you mentioned are beautifully written. Once you get through those, Circle of Friends, Silver Wedding and The Lilac Bus are wonderful too. Her characters have so many layers. They are rich and varied. I love how she can make it so easy to love, hate and be repulsed by her characters all at the same time depending on the story or book. That takes talent. Out of all the books I read of Binchy's, I still love Circle of Friends best. Benny is still my all time favorite Binchy character. She is endearingly sweet along with her bestfriend Eve. I'll be quiet now. I got carried away a bit. I love that you found her! She is a gem. :)

Well, I have to say that I resisted reading any of her books at first, believing them to be for "old ladies", but I couldn't have been further off the mark.  As you so well put, there is a richness to all the characters and you do get very immersed.  My sister recommended Circle of Friends also, but won't lend me her copy! It's one she re-reads.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've just acquired two new books to read. Both factual. The first one I saw the film of starring Robert deNiro in rather a different role for him.

The Awakenings by Oliver Sacks

Totally fascinating to me was this case where people suffering from "sleeping sickness" and institutionalised had been temporarily brought round. I know there will be a lot more detail in the book than the film could cover.

The second book is more light-hearted, but it's been lent to me by a friend, and I feel the pressure is on to read this one first as she says there are four more people wanting to borrow it. That one is called 

The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F**k and is by Sarah Knight. I've dipped in and out of this one. It's kind of a coffee table book.