What are we reading

Pussycat Catnap

2 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Ok, this looks like a fun read

It gets dark, especially in Part 3..but does have funny bits and is a great story. And features telepathic rats 😵 Would definitely recommend it!

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Have you read Dracula? That is superb.

No! But I'll check it out 😊 One of those classics I should get round to.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Plato's Republic *

Well, more like I picked it up and it almost fell open to this page.
IMG_20210418_094917235_HDR.jpg

* trans: G.M.A. Grube (1974)/ revised C.D.C. Reeve (1992), (c)1992 Hackett Publishing Co. Inc., Indianapolis/Cambridge. The Standard text of the Penn State University Philosophy Department for the undergraduate introductory course for Western/Eastern philosophy, twenty years ago.

Edited by Chroma Starlight
translation credits

32 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

Plato's Republic. Well, more like I picked it up and it almost fell open to this page.

IMG_20210418_094917235_HDR.jpg

Been ages since I read that. I didn't find your particular translation online, but I did find these bits from those pages in another translation...

"And I can tell things that you leave out—namely, that they would be best at fighting their enemies too because they would least desert one another, these men who recognize each other as brothers, fathers, and sons and who call upon each other using these names. And if the females join in the campaign too, either stationed in the line itself, or in the rear, to frighten the enemies and in case there should ever be any need of help—I know that with all this they would be un-beatable."

Those old guys didn't seem to mind the idea of women in the ranks.

Also, from your text...

No, by God, I don't.

From the translation I found...

No, by Zeus, I don't.

This is how people today come to think that very wise people believed in their god(s).

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

I just finished "Into the Light: by David Weber.   It's the sequel to "Out of the Dark". Someone mentioned vampires.  These books incorporate the vampire lore with a twist. 

I also just finished "Ocean Prey" by John Sandford. If you haven't read the "Prey"  (29 so for) books, they are great reads if you like police mysteries.

57 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

From the translation I found...

No, by Zeus, I don't.

A rhyme I wrote about Zeus when I was 14 or 15 (41 years ago):

Zeus was a pretty loose dude

The other gods said he was rude

So he sent down some thunder 

Which threw them asunder

And put old Zeus in a good mood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Glad this thread got revived 😍

I really got into Muriel Spark last year and am still going through all her books. I read this one in February

18273898.jpg.53880a3a87a6f1cda041fb789193d642.jpg

It's about three survivors of a plane crash being stranded on a strange island owned by a mysterious and very grumpy man. And black magic, and a cat that learns to play ping pong :D 

I also ordered Dracula after @Amina Sopwith recommended it, so that will be next!

• Like 2

On 4/19/2021 at 3:59 PM, Janet Voxel said:

Super dense narrative and profound novel!

Truly profound and the beautifully woven web of prose just hits you in the gut. I never had a book that did that to me before. I had to buy a replacement because I loaned my old copy to someone and he never returned it.

• Like 1