What are we reading

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 67 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just finished reading Camp of the Saints (English Translation) by Jean Raspael.

Its a book about a dystopian future where a million migrants are making their way to France from India on a flotilla of boats, and no one will say or do anything to stop them, lest they be called racist .

It was fiction when it was written, but unfortunatly today , it is true life.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
spelling
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

10 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

They souldn’t euthanase the dogs, they should euthanase the bad owners that make these dogs a problem 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

I am currently reading the new rules from the UK government regarding the ban on XL bully dogs!

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-for-the-ban-on-xl-bully-dogs?fbclid=IwAR3VUzZj7bppatNSTqSqDoIjrHpUapKFhE1lbKPc-a9xKBkOrJHchZgRgP8

I read the guidance to see if my giant Husky would fit in the "XL Bully" definition since it is not limited to just "Bull" breeds, but just based on their physical characteristics.  Apparently not, based on his shape and tail and coat.

Peeve: People bred 'em, people can ban 'em.  It's as if the gummint bred mutants, then banned mutants.

• Like 2

In honour of the season, I'm (re-)reading "The Winter Journey" by Belgian writer Amélie Nothomb (in case the title rings some bell, but you don't know quite, it refers to composer Franz Schubert's "Winterreise", which also has an appearance in the plot). If you like, hm, whimsical?, books that also don't need ages to read, but also don't feel like spending your precious time on books that aren't "real books", you might love them. I've read all of her books, some of them more than once. Thankfully, my public library has quite a few, not sure if they are that easily available outside of Europe.

ETA: Nice thread! I've already noted down two books I'll be looking into, and only have read two pages of the thread yet.

Edited by InnerCity Elf

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I read the guidance to see if my giant Husky would fit in the "XL Bully" definition since it is not limited to just "Bull" breeds, but just based on their physical characteristics.  Apparently not, based on his shape and tail and coat.

Peeve: People bred 'em, people can ban 'em.  It's as if the gummint bred mutants, then banned mutants.

Got several husky dogs and a couple of Japanese akita dogs living in our neighbourhood, all as soft as brushes, well-trained beasts. My friend's shi tzu on the other hand, would take the fingers off anyone who got too close!

Next door neighbour's mongrel mutt bit through the postman's finger a couple of years ago. Good with children though apparently (so far). 

10 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

They souldn’t euthanase the dogs, they should euthanase the bad owners that make these dogs a problem 😁

Yep, that's how I feel about it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Anna Salyx said:

Currently working my way through the Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells.  An excellent diversion for the holiday season :P

(edit to add: about halfway through Exit Strategy as of this post)

91JXszRFpnS._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Excellent, another MurderBot fan!  I am about half a book ahead of you, finished Exit Strategy and am about to start Network Effect after a couple of years hiatus in another genre.  I should put books #5, #6, and #7 on my early 2024 reading calendar; what better way to while away the gray winter hours than in outer space, saving colonies?  And don't forget the stories, Compulsory #0.5 and Home: Habitat, Range, Niche, Territory  #4.5, just the right length for a snack or lunch break.  👾 👾

• Like 2

Just to add to the luster of Becky Chambers:

Every book she has written has been nominated for/won awards, including Hugo, Nebula, Author C Clarke.

If I may, a quote from Wiki.

"Her Wayfarers series novels take place in a fictional universe, governed by the Galactic Commons to which humans are relative newcomers. She has been lauded for the strong world-building in the series, including multiple unique alien races.[9] Reviewers have cited her complex and likeable characters who drive the story.[10] Her work has been alternately criticized and praised for the deliberate, character-driven pacing and lack of the propulsive plots typical of other space opera novels."

I would use the word "praised".

• Like 2

On 12/29/2023 at 6:31 AM, Anna Salyx said:

Currently working my way through the Muderbot Diaries by Martha Wells.  An excellent diversion for the holiday season :P

(edit to add: about halfway through Exit Strategy as of this post)

91JXszRFpnS._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Got All Systems Red for the holidays, and it's on the next-to-read bookshelf waiting.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Got All Systems Red for the holidays, and it's on the next-to-read bookshelf waiting.

YYYYYYYYYYYYAAaaaaaaaa, three of us MurderBot-ettes!!  When I come up for air this winter, I need to construct a MurderBot outfit.

• Like 1

Very helpful to understand how people come to take the Soviet/Russian view of history, economics, politics -- and of course the Holodomor, which Duranty reported falsely. (And this problem persists today with the war in Ukraine).

Interestingly, he reported the Volga Famine accurately, and his problem was not believing Bolshevik propaganda naively, but understanding it all too well, as he spent a lot of time foot-padding around places to be an eyewitness to traumatic historical events.

Rather, the issue was that he admired and approved of the Bolshevik methods of brutality, mass terror, disinformation and manipulation for the sake of building communism -- the end justifies the means. Not for the faint hearted.

https://www.amazon.com/write-please-Walter-Duranty/dp/B008GDH8F8

images.jpg

Edited by Prokofy Neva

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 67 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.