What are we reading

Pussycat Catnap

Despite my loathing of what fans of Robert Anton Wilson have done with it, and despite my loathing of how finding its way into the mainstream has completely obscured its message, I'm rereading (for the millionth time, probably) Principia Discordia.

This part is especially good (from the perspective of my own reality tunnel, anyway). From the Wikipedia article, because they already had it formatted for me:

The Aneristic Principle is that of apparent order; the Eristic Principle is that of apparent disorder. Both order and disorder are man made concepts and are artificial divisions of pure chaos, which is a level deeper than is the level of distinction making.

With our concept-making apparatus called "the brain" we look at reality through the ideas-about-reality which our cultures give us.

The ideas-about-reality are mistakenly labeled "reality" and unenlightened people are forever perplexed by the fact that other people, especially other cultures, see "reality" differently.

It is only the ideas-about-reality which differ. Real (capital-T) True reality is a level deeper than is the level of concept. We look at the world through windows on which have been drawn grids (concepts). Different philosophies use different grids. A culture is a group of people with rather similar grids. Through a window we view chaos, and relate it to the points on our grid, and thereby understand it. The order is in the grid. That is the Aneristic Principle.

Western philosophy is traditionally concerned with contrasting one grid with another grid, and amending grids in hopes of finding a perfect one that will account for all reality and will, hence, (say unenlightened westerners) be true. This is illusory; it is what we Erisians call the Aneristic Illusion. Some grids can be more useful than others, some more beautiful than others, some more pleasant than others, etc., but none can be more True than any other.

Disorder is simply unrelated information viewed through some particular grid. But, like "relation", no-relation is a concept. Male, like female, is an idea about sex. To say that male-ness is "absence of female-ness", or vice versa, is a matter of definition and metaphysically arbitrary. The artificial concept of no-relation is the Eristic Principle.

The belief that "order is true" and disorder is false or somehow wrong, is the Aneristic Illusion. To say the same of disorder, is the Eristic Illusion.

The point is that (little-t) truth is a matter of definition relative to the grid one is using at the moment, and that (capital-T) Truth, metaphysical reality, is irrelevant to grids entirely. Pick a grid, and through it some chaos appears ordered and some appears disordered. Pick another grid, and the same chaos will appear differently ordered and disordered.

Reality is the original Rorschach. Verily! So much for all that.

— Malaclypse the Younger, Principia Discordia, Pages 00049–00050
Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I was prepared to dry read the owners manual for some replacement equipment we received at work.

They forgot to send the instructions in English, but nearly every other language was included.

20240213_163356.thumb.jpg.c4e5214a718394093924ec320574bfe6.jpg

Everyone feels like hugging a bear now, right?

Google Translate phone app to the rescue! 

• Like 2

Reading one of my favorite books all over again. "The Hour of the Star" by Clarice Lispector. Fairly short and unlike anything else I've come across. I've read the original version of this book, which is in Portuguese, and several English translations of it. The one made by Benjamin Moser is as good as it gets.

This is a novel that is only 86 pages long (might be more or less than that depending on the edition) yet it's not a quick read. So much to think about in there. I definitely recommend it, especially for those who enjoy writing and have an open mind. The narrator of the story is a writer, so this book is meta in an interesting way.

TheHouroftheStar.thumb.jpg.47897a9040661b13c6c65c987b2e7dcb.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes, because Cyrillic.

I could go all SL forum on you and inform you it was more likely Methodius, or even an unknown scribe, but yeah, good enough. I am satisfied with your answer. ^-^

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

I could go all SL forum on you and inform you it was more likely Methodius, or even an unknown scribe, but yeah, good enough. I am satisfied with your answer. ^-^

A very methodical response, I must say. You should have been a scrivener!

To quote Bartleby, "I prefer not to."

• Haha 2

She delves into a world I am both part of and know a lot about. It's as crazy, narcissistic, infuriating, elitist, sexist, infantile, etc as she describes. Highly recommend her earlier dive into the world of fine wines as well, Cork Dork.

book.thumb.jpg.20a9d4099a6338801198dafc125e764a.jpg

PS. The "designer" who typeset the subtitle in a Copperplate-like all caps needs to go back to their Typography 101 class because they failed.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2

Molotov's Magic Lantern was a very tough act to follow (in English only) (I am going to buy it and re-read it and stopped frequently to make MidJourney images for it, it's so wonderful) (and you can find it for free and borrow it on archive.org but buy the book, it's only like US $9 paperback on Amazon).

Still, I found another very good trave/train sort of book, a genre I love.

https://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Train-Daydreaming-Smoking-Interruptions/dp/0312422628

41ADWxQxL+L._SY445_SX342_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am reading my way through the 41 books of the discworld series by Terry Pratchett, many of which I have read before but I couldn't exactly remember which!
Currently half way through 'unseen academicals', a story about wizards and football.
This book, like the rest of the series mixes comedy, political commentary, references to popular culture and sheer, mind boggling inventiveness, all done with a warm heart.

unseen.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

I am reading my way through the 41 books of the discworld series by Terry Pratchett, many of which I have read before but I couldn't exactly remember which!
Currently half way through 'unseen academicals', a story about wizards and football.
This book, like the rest of the series mixes comedy, political commentary, references to popular culture and sheer, mind boggling inventiveness, all done with a warm heart.

unseen.jpg

Their jerseys with the UU on the front, lol.

I got turned onto Terry Pratchett around 2004-ish, by someone who had paperbacks going back to The Colour Of Magic. I like that you can read them out of order and still enjoy them, because that's good writing, but I read them from the beginning through to Maskerade, without stopping to read anyone else.

I'm pretty sure I've read and watched everything now, but I still look for more.

I had expected something like Bored of the Rings, or a bunch of punnery or Robert Asprinery, but then, one can't really judge a paperback by the cover art. I was hooked in less than a chapter, and have never looked back.

Later, I was friends with a friend of his, and they were doing the ourangutan thing, trying to raise awareness and save ourangutans. I wouldn't have expected anything less. He was an awesome dude.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PheebyKatz said:

Their jerseys with the UU on the front, lol.

You're reminding me of an old Aggie joke (my college, Texas A&M - they were like "Polack" jokes, but about "naive farmer recruits"):

Why did the Aggie not want to play Texas Tech?

Because they had "TT" on their jerseys.

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You're reminding me of an old Aggie joke (my college, Texas A&M - they were like "Polack" jokes, but about "naive farmer recruits"):

Why did the Aggie not want to play Texas Tech?

Because they had "TT" on their jerseys.

My favorite was always, "How do you fit a hundred Aggies into a single Hot Wheels car?"

Soooooooo many Aggie/booger jokes...

XD

• Like 1