What are we reading

Pussycat Catnap

22 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The first entry in Amazon's Editorial Reviews for that book is from Daniel Kahneman. I've put it on my reading list, right after the upcoming "Being You" by Anil Seth, which was recommended to me by @Innula Zenovka.

It's hard enough to find time for SL as it is. Stop this, all of you!

So true...I have discovered some great books here on this very thread..

I've just started this, and enjoying immensely the stories of how particular statues came to be erected and removed.

55200406._SY475_.jpg

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55200406-fallen-idols?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=iNlrVWtdRo&rank=1

So far I've read about her first two statues, King George III (erected in New York, 1770, removed 1776) and the Duke of Cumberland ("Butcher" Cumberland, as Tories called him)  (erected London 1770, removed 1868).    Currently I'm reading about one to Stalin, erected in Budapest in 1951, removed 1956).

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 11:43 AM, SynesthetiQ said:

d2.jpg

A really interesting and thought provoking read.

I read his previous book... Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind...and enjoyed it. So, I'm tempted to get this new one though most of me believes we'll never make it to the future scenarios he paints as our society is headed for a crash   :(   I guess I could read it as a kind of science fiction, as a description of what could have been.

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I just got the Dune book in the mail today, per your recommendation...so it better be good!  😉

I look forward to the new movie version due out Oct 22, but if I remember right the first movie in '84 was not so good according to reviews and so possibly turned me off to it...

That movie spoiled it for a lot of people with the 80's hair and latex suits, avoid it! It's largely considered unfilmable, so the book is your best bet. That's why they wisely split the novel into two movies.

It's a really easy read and borders on YA lit, it's full of politics, genetics, science, metaphysics...I think you'll enjoy it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

That movie spoiled it for a lot of people with the 80's hair and latex suits, avoid it! It's largely considered unfilmable, so the book is your best bet. That's why they wisely split the novel into two movies.

It's a really easy read and borders on YA lit, it's full of politics, genetics, science, metaphysics...I think you'll enjoy it!

It is one big book!!  physically..

And that does sound interesting..

I will not abide this slander against the good goddamn names of Kyle MacLachlan's patrician profile and Sting's abs. The 1984 Dune adaptation was nonsensical, but glorious and grand and epic in scale. And weird as *****, in keeping with what would happen if someone shoved the bag of money at David Lynch. 

Edited by Blaise Glendevon
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

IMG_20210930_151151887.jpg

Since it is emphatically true that no man can afford to be disliked or feared by his cat or dog, it is clear that the same consideration applies with still greater force to the human beings who surround him.  It is not easy to overestimate the importance to a man of winning the kindly regard of those with whom he is in constant association-- to overrate the value to a schoolmaster of the attitude toward him of his pupils, to a merchant to the feeling of his clerks, to an officer of the devotion of his men; and this is entirely apart from the obvious effects produced in the physical world. 

Edited by tailpa
elusive
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

I will not abide this slander against the good goddamn names of Kyle MacLachlan's patrician profile and Sting's abs. The 1984 Dune adaptation was nonsensical, but glorious and grand and epic in scale. And weird as *****, in keeping with what would happen if someone shoved the bag of money at David Lynch. 

Still, Skiffy's production put the first one to shame. But as usual Skiffy dashed all hopes of them ever continuing with it as they had originally planned. They only had 3 more books to go.

5 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Still, Skiffy's production put the first one to shame. But as usual Skiffy dashed all hopes of them ever continuing with it as they had originally planned. They only had 3 more books to go.

Couldn't disagree more. I found the Syfy channel adaptation to be limp and lifeless, without any of the profound cosmic weirdness in the text.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

That' s why I'm so sympathetic to Jodorowsky's grimace while not understanding why his version of the book never had a fair shot.

It would have been either brilliant or absolutely awful. Maybe even both.

Edited by TDD123

• 2 weeks later...

MBa1QXq.png

It gets a lot of hate from hardcore Dune fans, but so far it's stringing together a more cohesive story than the later Frank Herbert originals managed and picks up a lot of the threads he had left hanging in chapterhouse ... and I'm not worried about them retconning things in the penultimate chapter of the same book (or building to a huge climatic ending and then neglecting to actually write it in).

• Thanks 1

i am reading The Empire Strikes Back : Act 3

the FTA agreed to between the UK and Aotearoa NZ

so far The Empire is a empire of three. UK, Australia and Aotearoa NZ. 163 more dominions to go

Is a bit like when King Alfred was sitting all by himself with some eels and frogs then set about reconquering the Olde Empire

Altho reconquering the USA might be a bit difficult. But never know they might go oooh! you guys brought some boxes of beer to the gunfight. So we surrender and lets have a party. Like it takes tea to seperate people, and beer to bring them back together

i am quite pleased about the FTA. Even tho we already got a FTA with Australia, China and the Pacific countries thru the CPTPP. More friends are better than less

Edited by Mollymews