How do you feel about most avatars on the grid being human?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's okay with me that most avis are human, although I am also appreciative of the more diverse and non-human shapes out there. I understand that humans will tend to seek out human avatars naturally.

Female human avis are pretty to look at.  Sometimes I get a little envious that they look too good!

As someone who regularly uses a female human avi, I can't help put feel on edge when I see someone else with a male human avi, though. But the avis themselves are okay.

I like seeing non-human avis, though. They're awesome and unique.

• Like 2

Myself,i just love checking out what others do no matter what it is really..

There is such a wide range of avatars.. But also like to dig a little deeper and check out their profiles.. Trails they want people to follow, stuff like that..

i used to have a deeper profile, but I'm just not around enough to keep all that stuff up these days.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

It's okay with me that most avis are human, although I am also appreciative of the more diverse and non-human shapes out there. I understand that humans will tend to seek out human avatars naturally.

Female human avis are pretty to look at.  Sometimes I get a little envious that they look too good!

As someone who regularly uses a female human avi, I can't help put feel on edge when I see someone else with a male human avi, though. But the avis themselves are okay.

I think there should be more fairy folk or completely fantasy avatars. 

• Like 1

How I 'feel' about it? I don't. 

Besides, with the proportions of most of those avatars, I don't know whether I'd really call them 'human'. I usually just call them 'potatoes', 'T-rexes', 'balloon animals' or 'giraffes'. In fact, I spend much of my time when event-going or shopping just looking and giggling at people's avatars.

How I interact with people is very much up to whether they communicate intelligently, rather than how they appear. The only time it really matters to me how someone's avatar looks is when I'm doing a model search. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Orwar said:

with the proportions of most of those avatars, I don't know whether I'd really call them 'human'. I usually just call them 'potatoes', 'T-rexes', 'balloon animals' or 'giraffes'. 

I was about to say much the same thing. Human? Most of them look as though they've never seen a human in their lives.

• Like 5

I'd have to say, that " I feel indifferent about it." The one thing about SL is that you can do &/or be whatever you wish to be or do. When I first came to SL, I rolled around SL as a 1.5 m tall porcupine. Why you might ask?..Because I could & it was fun & different & at that moment I just went with it, much like my username, it kinda stuck, so I kept it. Although it's not overly surprising that most inhabitants of SL are displaying themselves as humans, or some for there of. Most of the starter avatars are human, so it makes sense, so many roam around as such. Maybe in time they'll find who or what they want to be?.  Although this is just MY opinion & how I feel about it.

• Like 1

I don't put any thought to it, really. I just checked my friend list out of curiosity to see who is what, and at a quick glance I see kids, a wolf, a steampunk mechanical man, a panther.... so yeah, doesn't make any difference to me. "Your world, your imagination", as they (used to) say. 

ETA: My alts are non-human. The chicken may be my favorite. :) 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't say I object to humans, after all they are my species and all. But I also enjoy being other.  Between me and my alts I've tried being  just about everything except being a car.  For some odd reason being a car never appealed to me. The ones I particularly enjoyed were the various faes, pixies, a satyr, dinkie, and  mermaid and cat

Edited by kali Wylder
typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Define human.

I do mostly see humans when I go to other places, especially when shopping, and it's sad.  I miss seeing other forms, although I am mostly a human myself, but then I always have been generally.  I just find the non-humans friendlier on the whole.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Can you make that a bit darker?

Yeah, darker works....I just found out last night that my phone's camera has night-vision, heard some local nitwits firing off rounds across the river, learned something new about my phone...learn something new everyday, or every night, for that matter. Or maybe I got the wrong kind of "darker" you were suggesting there?.. oops.

I love it when I see all kinds of avi's!  I love ALL kinds of avatars.  

When Second Life first started it was more like the bar scene in Star Wars with all kinds of avatars but the fantasy sci-fi ones were especially popular.  At the start of SL, humans were the most popular though and then it was every kind of avi imagineable in the first few years of SL.   Later, clubs started to have specific rules that said human only.   I think that is fair as it is for immersion because talking animals could take away from the realism a sim is trying to create for example.  

I miss that about SL sometimes but I found it again in the Tiny Community of sims where it's not just tinies, it's all kinds of avi's including humans.  However, some of our large events it's mostly all tinies so we can fit everybody because we've had 80+ tiny avatar events.   A sim can hold up to 90 avatars, but with the tinies, I think we could even go above the limit of 90 if we were allowed to.  

Also, the other avatars make it so much more affordable for alts plus are great for building because with building we are building and not looking for any "hook-ups" or dating so the other than human avatars are great for builders and are low lag/low fuss too, which is great for builders.  

As far as mostly human, depends on where you go.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

It's a little-known fact that I've been a werewolf since a tragic accident at Halloween, 2017. I've been able to keep my condition under control however; I find that getting drunk enough to sleep right through the full moon is helpful...

171104_001.thumb.png.f1bcda3580d8e40fd874668407bfb2fa.png

Still ginger, even when I'm a werewolf.

One of my alts is an elf. He's based on an old tabletop RPG character who has now become the lead character in a novel I wrote a couple of years ago, and a sequel I've just started working on.

newelf_001.png.f8437953409abe2a3de19263cc7485d2.png

And another alt is an angel, though he pretends to be human sometimes.

190311_001w.thumb.png.5922771352eabf764c482e42068f556c.png

I do love to see diverse and unusual avatars though. Even furries aren't as common as they used to be. It was nice seeing so many unusual and non-human avatars in the "Meet The Lindens" thread.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.