How do you feel about religious humor in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

36 minutes ago, BelliBunBun said:

I spent many hours this week reading the archives of the old SLU, particularly from around March 2016.

“Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds” (vv. 14–15).”

- 2 Corinthians 11:12–15

Satan is working hard in this thread, as she does, across the years from forum to forum, using the same tactics.

Beware false prophets and their alts.

Paul is speaking about those who were Jesus peddling (taking money like snake oil salesmen) and straying from the Gospel message which is:  Whomsoever Shall Believeth in Me, Shall Not Perish but Have Everlasting Life.  Do you know what the Gospel message is Paul is speaking about here?  Not to mention Jesus said he was A FREE gift from God.   Paul is actually talking about fake "miracle workers" for money here to clarify further.  

Paul and the False Apostles

11 I hope you will put up with me in a little foolishness. Yes, please put up with me! I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him. But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough.

I do not think I am in the least inferior to those “super-apostles.”[a] I may indeed be untrained as a speaker, but I do have knowledge. We have made this perfectly clear to you in every way. Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God to you free of charge? I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you. And when I was with you and needed something, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied what I needed. I have kept myself from being a burden to you in any way, and will continue to do so. 10 As surely as the truth of Christ is in me, nobody in the regions of Achaia will stop this boasting of mine. 11 Why? Because I do not love you? God knows I do!

12 And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about. 13 For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.

Edited by FairreLilette

It all comes down to what's in the heart, whether it's making a joke, responding to someone else's joke, or doing anything that others might criticise.  I did something years ago that some might find blasphemous, others hilarious, but to me it was a right and good thing to do.  When our mother had just died, my sister was distraught that she hadn't had the Last Rites.  We were all brought up Roman Catholic; my sister isn't a regular worshipper but has retained some belief, I lost my faith years beforehand.  Neither of us thought it a good idea to bring in a priest so late, so I did a bit of research and we performed the Anointing of the Sick at Mum's bedside.  My sister wanted me to take the priest's part so that's what I did, and she read the responses.  Both of us took it seriously.  The point is that it came from the heart, and that's really the only criterion that matters.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I thought this thread was about humour not Sunday School

Oh, it's been all over the map but I felt it would get locked sooner than this.   It's been locked up for millennia anyways.  

Edited by FairreLilette

43 minutes ago, BelliBunBun said:

Satan is working hard in this thread, as she does, across the years from forum to forum, using the same tactics.

Beware false prophets and their alts.

I haven't decided yet whether this is funny or sad. Sad, I think. :( 

Meanwhile, IBTL, there's really only 1 Scripture worth memorizing:

"Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law." (Romans 13:8-10)

And you don't even have to remember it, just DO it.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

It all comes down to what's in the heart, whether it's making a joke, responding to someone else's joke, or doing anything that others might criticise.  I did something years ago that some might find blasphemous, others hilarious, but to me it was a right and good thing to do.  When our mother had just died, my sister was distraught that she hadn't had the Last Rites.  We were all brought up Roman Catholic; my sister isn't a regular worshipper but has retained some belief, I lost my faith years beforehand.  Neither of us thought it a good idea to bring in a priest so late, so I did a bit of research and we performed the Anointing of the Sick at Mum's bedside.  My sister wanted me to take the priest's part so that's what I did, and she read the responses.  Both of us took it seriously.  The point is that it came from the heart, and that's really the only criterion that matters.

I find it deeply touching, and who knows, maybe your mother's spirit watched over you as you performed that ritual. It seems respectful to your mother if anything.

_____

_____

Dave Allen, Irish Comedian, he could tell a good (bad) joke, create a sketch, that undoubtedly was offensive to a lot of people, but then I've known nuns who have had quite a dark sense of humour. One who drove me and my friend, when we were 10 years old, to a summer school, was driving like a getaway driver, and we were terrified, and she actually said to us "don't worry my children, God is on my side!" Sounds like a joke, offensive to some undoubtedly, but it is a true story. 

You just can't please all of the people all of the time, but if you go out of your way to offend people, then the devil will take care of your soul, and karma will whupp your arse! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I know you've mentioned it a lot, but I missed out on your personal experience. Would be great if you could either do a recap or point me to the thread where you discussed it.

It does seem to be very much like a religion for some.

It's a fanatical radical cult like belief system created by misogynists and man children  to feed their delusional thoughts of superiority based upon sci-fi books written by an author who was having an identity  crisis because women were gaining power and respect in the work place and he no longer knew where he fit in.

Most Gor Masters do not even believe in limits or safewords or consent. That a women is their property with no rights at all except what was given by their Masta. That women only exist to serve and pleasure men, and that a woman's pleasure should be derived entirely by that service of her Masta. That a womans desires or needs meaning nothing, its all about the Masta's desires and needs first. Just about as bad as some of hypnosis cults here in sl.

Gor is by no means a representative of what BDSM is, just the Gor's like to try and claim they are to excuse their behaviors and how they treat the people around them. They prey on the week of will, the weak of mind, those with low self esteem or self value. They get excited at breaking a woman of her morals or ethics or ideals to make them weak and docile and easily manipulated and controlled. They buy and sell their slaves as if they were just pieces of meat, the only value is how well they can pleasure their Masta. That a woman should be seen and never heard. That women are just trophies to show off about how great a man they are. They are overbearing and domineering.. not dominating. They think reading a few books and quoting some passages makes them a Dom or Master which takes years to learn to become properly.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
added more content
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That bit in the Xian bible about not laying with both a mother and her daughter (age appropriate, felt the need to add that)...has anyone here tested it?

Does it matter if it's between women?

Returning to an earlier topic, and my characterisation of Goreans as being not the brightest of bulbs...

I would never, ever make fun of someone for something such as having a low IQ (as if those scores prove anything apart from how good you are at IQ tests anyway) or a learning disability. That's not stupidity, any more than someone with a mobility problem is lazy or undisciplined. By its very nature (prescriptive, one-dimensional, turgid, crap in general), Gor does tend to attract a lot of people who are not conventionally clever or creative. The pressure to be Truly Gorean actively discourages anything else. But these people, who honestly don't know better, aren't really where my ire is directed. I'm more angry that the belief and subculture exploit them and validate it when they do have horrible hateful beliefs that they clearly aren't capable of questioning. 

What gets me about Gor is the wilful stupidity, the intellectual laziness, that absolutely abounds there. If you're capable of reading a book and quoting from it, then you're capable of thinking for 12 seconds about what you're perpetuating. Ok, most Goreans have never read any book that doesn't have flaps to lift up, but they generally can read and repeat nasty little misogynistic passages, put them in their profiles and then spend the next 25 years arguing about them. They're certainly capable of producing walls of tedious, self-aggrandising text that will actually make you wish Super Manly Swordsman Huntsman Who Is Totally Not Overcompensating For Anything would just come along and put you out of your misery. If you can do that, then you can understand why the source material is so unbelievably hateful and offensive. But you don't, because you're Gorean. Which at best means that you don't want to be bothered by such pesky things as misogyny and the glorification of abuse because you want to serve drinks or fart around on a battlefield until 1985 manages to get its costume back off you. And at worst means you actually did read all that twaddle, absorbed and understood it, and actually liked it. 

That's what it's about.

It is true that not every single last Gorean is a slavering misogynist, but every single last Gorean is perpetuating and upholding someone who is. 

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, LexxiXhan said:

That bit in the Xian bible about not laying with both a mother and her daughter (age appropriate, felt the need to add that)...has anyone here tested it?

Does it matter if it's between women?

That's old testament.  Jesus said if you are going to live by the law you have to live every law and not break one single law which the Pharisees were doing, they were hypocrites saying they were sinless when they weren't.   The Pharisees were the teachers of the law which was written by Moses and is often called the Law of Moshe (Moses).  Jesus has set us free from the law of sin and death by replacing all those old testament laws with love.  Love is the fulfillment of the law.  Jesus is speaking of the old testament laws you are speaking about in your question. 

So, ask yourself is it loving?  Will you hurt anyone?  Etc.  But, no it doesn't matter if it's women or men unless you live under the law of Moshe (Moses) and there are 612 laws you must obey to be a perfect Orthodox Jew.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

That's old testament.  Jesus said if you are going to live by the law you have to live every law and not break one single law which the Pharisees were doing, they were hypocrites saying they were sinless when they weren't.   The Pharisees were the teachers of the law which was written by Moses and is often called the Law of Moshe (Moses).  Jesus has set us free from the law of sin and death by replacing all those old testament laws with love.  Love is the fulfillment of the law.  Jesus is speaking of the old testament laws you are speaking about in your question. 

So, ask yourself is it loving?  Will you hurt anyone?  Etc.  But, no it doesn't matter if it's women or men unless you live under the law of Moshe (Moses) and there are 612 laws you must obey to be a perfect Orthodox Jew.  

I always knew, deep down, that Jesus loved lesbians. He had me worried for a while there though, cheeky bugger.

• Like 2

imagine what it might been like if they had internets back then

St Peter checking his social media. Ohhh! I have millions of followers. Jesus only has twelve. Whats up with that?

that Joseph needs to work on his googlefu. A stable ? really !!! Has he not heard of AirBnB

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

imagine what it might been like if they had internets back then

St Peter checking his social media. Ohhh! I have millions of followers. Jesus only has twelve. Whats up with that?

that Joseph needs to work on his googlefu. A stable ? really !!! Has he not heard of AirBnB

I'm having a wee bit of trouble keeping a straight face...

lol.gif.6ef8f5677b0ff0c29da8ada0a8f8e709.gif  

I tried... I really really tried.

Oh who am I kidding. 

rofl.gif.eeed09e7d3caf8a71fffd95faa1500bb.gif 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

I think 99% (totally made up number) of anti-vaxxers are wilfully ignorant and therefore nuts.

No, that's a true number. 😜 

All of that aside, however, telling these folks, "You're nuts!" is like saying here "I think people should stop posting Taylor Swift gifs" in that both statements will make the target audience dig in more to their stance.  After going 50 rounds with them, beating your head against the wall, as they deny anything scientific contrary to their beliefs, sure, it is human to throw up your hands, yell loudly, "YOU'RE NUTS!" and stomp off for your favorite beverage. If you're a wild-eyed optimist, and your intent is to have a sincere dialogue, then yeah, starting out with "you're nuts" probably isn't the best strategy. In my experience, the other party is rarely interested in a sincere dialogue.

I hear what you're saying, honestly. And I wouldn't open a convo with an anti-vaxxer with "You're insane!" That would be, well, insane. :) I would ere, from my own experience and that of others, simply not engage them in argument, as they've indicated not wishing to think rationally.

But there are a lot of nutcases, out there, though. In my country alone, there are loonies now burning down 5G transmission towers. Allegedly, because you can get Corona from 5G. (Sic! Not a joke). Now, what do you say to such a person?! I suppose I could take the moral high road; or... I could simply be more me, 😁, look 'em in the eye, and say something like:

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

The new guitar I am buying this year is called a Messiah. 😍

But does it float?

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Adam Spark said:

God has a sense of humor. Wearing an avatar and being yourself I see no issue with.

Unless you're mocking, but if you are posting to ask if its cool, I'm certain your intention is not to mock.

Gopi said in OP that he changed his mind and isn't going to do it after all.  

I'm wondering though about sim owners and how they would feel about it and my reasoning being is because first of all we are guests and second of all they have guests.  I think this is more a sim owner question anyway because if you do it on your own parcel it doesn't matter as it's your own parcel.  I think most sim owners who have a lot of guests would be annoyed with it, though SL does get more tolerant as years pass, I'm not so sure about this one.  Sim owners don't like to "make waves" so to speak.  Once someone says something negative about it in local chat, the Jesus avatar would probably be booted out.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.