How do you feel about religious humor in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 hours ago, BelliBunBun said:

Satan is working hard in this thread, as she does,

There was also an earlier post (somewhere) stating that God is a woman. Suddenly, the reason behind all the world's woe's and strife's has become a lot clearer!  😃

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

There was also an earlier post (somewhere) stating that God is a woman. Suddenly, the reason behind all the world's woe's and strife's has become a lot clearer!  😃

I guess I should get back in the kitchen and rattle those pots and pans as the lyrics from Shake, Rattle and Roll say.  Oh wait, I thought Rock and Roll was the Devil's music which was started by men?  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:
17 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

I guess I should get back in the kitchen and rattle those pots and pans as the lyrics from Shake, Rattle and Roll say.  Oh wait, I thought Rock and Roll was the Devil's music which was started by men?  

Well I guess you never heard of Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Godmother of Rock and Roll!

• Like 3

On 5/23/2020 at 1:10 PM, Orwar said:

Whether they're worth my time, obviously. 

If a person's instinctive reaction to inappropriate behavior is outrage or 'being offended', chances are we're not going to get along very well. If you want a superficial and pretentious politeness rather than someone you can be yourself around, you go ahead and enjoy that. 

Define "inappropriate behavior". Is your definition the same as everyone else's? If not, what are the differences?

I get what you are saying but other people react according to their definition of inappropriate , not yours. They can't possibly know your definition without you telling them so you end up coming off as overly judgmental and trying to shove your beliefs down their throats. While it might weed out the ones you won't get along with, it also weeds out many of the ones you would get along with so you're doing yourself a disfavor.

Double edged sword.

20 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Oh wait, I thought Rock and Roll was the Devil's music which was started by men?  

Nup! It was originally started by Rosa Parks, who shook, rattled and rolled before finally managing to get a seat on the bus! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kiramanell said:

"Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA   I don't know how it would be done, but for the love of s/he we can't joke about, THIS video should be included as part of the official post response "emojis", This full video clip. Imagine it. No more trying to decipher if the 😄 or 😞  is sarcastic. There could be no doubt the intent. You would no longer have to type something like that, thus avoiding long, drawn out flame snipes. You couldn't get in trouble with the mods, because it is an official response. The forum would be easier to scan because it would be shorter, with just posts receivng 32 "this" emojis instead of individual responses. Maybe after so many "this" reactions a person could only post in a certain, specially made "rubber room" area of the forum?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

"Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA   I don't know how it would be done, but for the love of s/he we can't joke about, THIS video should be included as part of the official post response "emojis", This full video clip. Imagine it. No more trying to decipher if the 😄 or 😞  is sarcastic. There could be no doubt the intent. You would no longer have to type something like that, thus avoiding long, drawn out flame snipes. You couldn't get in trouble with the mods, because it is an official response. The forum would be easier to scan because it would be shorter, with just posts receivng 32 "this" emojis instead of individual responses. Maybe after so many "this" reactions a person could only post in a certain, specially made "rubber room" area of the forum?

Hehe; I knew you'd love it. 😍

As for the emoji, LL, please make it so!

• Haha 2

On 5/23/2020 at 6:05 PM, Orwar said:

In the same game, a common thing to do with people who weren't as hi with console commands as you, was to tell them to write /disco in the console to do a cool dance (in fact the console auto-completed it to disconnect you from the server) or /qui gon jin to get a cool character skin (which auto-completed to quit the game) - and because everyone could see what you said to them on the server, and saw a message when people disconnected, everyone would see when you successfully tricked someone - that I'd consider more along the lines of harmless fun. You'd be frustrated for a minute, but when you got back to the server everyone would be in a cheery mood because of what they'd just seen.

And people end up feeling abashed once we log back in because it was just a practical joke/harmless prank after all which can develop over time into resentment if the people have been the "butt of a joke" once too often. Resentment in those who aren't quite balanced is not a good thing. We've seen many examples of that lately right here on this forum.

27 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

Nup! It was originally started by Rosa Parks, who shook, rattled and rolled before finally managing to get a seat on the bus! 

Nup!  It was men.  Bad, bad men.  lol  (joking)

It was Bill Haley and The Comets starting in 1954.   Rosa Parks was December 1, 1955.  

Bill Haley and The Comets

From late 1954 to late 1956, the group placed nine singles in the Top 20, one of those a number one and three more in the Top Ten. The single "Rock Around the Clock" became the biggest selling rock and roll single in the history of the genre.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Haley_%26_His_Comets

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 6:45 PM, Tolya Ugajin said:

Atheists, Muslims, and born-again Christians have no sense of humour when it comes to religion.

You should be fine - normal Christians don't get upset with Jesus on toast or Walking Dead characters named Jesus, so why should they be upset about a Jesus avatar.

Besides, popular portrayals of Jesus look more or less like an average hipster today.

You mean like this guy?

e0ba5250-2614-11ea-84ec-fd54a97b0e37_800

Let me see if I can remember how it goes.. It's early for me.. But someone mentioned the commandments earlier and it kind of got my mind going on a daydream for a little bit..

one thing lead to another and my mind was all over the board.

I day dream a lot in the morning hehehe

Aaaanyways, The commandments can make my head spin trying to figure out what is what today and then..hehehe

Ask someone using the old testament to their advantage and claiming to be a Christian, where the list is of the 613 commandments.. You'll stump a lot of people even though they probably read them.. A lot only think there is 10 and many don't know anymore than where the ten are..hehehe

There were 613 precepts

Moses wrote 611,while wanting to write 613..  Two were spoken  for the nation of Israel to know and not to be written down, making it 613.

The reason two were spoken was God knowing in the future that other nations would translate them..

The Holy One said to the nations: You claim that you are my children? I do not know. However, I those who are in possession of my mystery are my children.

The two Spoken being the mystery..

I always thought that was kind of neat..hehehe

The Do's: 248 positive precepts, which correspond with the number of members in a mans body.

The Do nots: 365 Negative precepts, which correspond with the number of solar days in a year.

Not all applied to everyone and not all apply today.. I want to say like 244 apply today and 26 of those are only when in Israel.

It's something like that..

This throws a lot of people for a loop.

King David reduced the 613 laws to 11 Principles

The Prophet Isaiah reduced the 11 Principles to 6

The Prophet Micah reduced the 6 Principles to 3

The Prophet Isaiah reduced the 3 principles to 2

The Prophet Amos reduced the 2 principles to 1

The Prophet Habakuk came along and based them all on one

The ten commandments are part of the 613 and are not laws,but more guidelines.

in other words, if you are a good christian you should willingly be living by them.

Before the law,everything was on faith..During the law everything was based on works and rules..

Removing the laws brought everything back to being based on faith and the promise made to Abraham before the laws.

Why did I post all this stuff?

I don't know, maybe just trying to get some use out of all that time i spent reading up on it all..

I love pain?

Maybe light pinches and spanks, but not really bad pain hehehe

It's more than likely because, I'm back home cooped up again and looking for stuff to do..

hehehehe

Ok, my head hurts now sooooooo,

I'm gonna have to go get some tea now and maybe hop on my horse and do some barrel runs for a little while, because I have to shake all this off now...hehehe

Everyone have a great day! \o/

Ceka ❤️

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Nup!  It was men.  Bad, bad men.  lol  (joking)

It was Bill Haley and The Comets starting in 1954.   Rosa Parks was December 1, 1955.  

Bill Haley and The Comets

From late 1954 to late 1956, the group placed nine singles in the Top 20, one of those a number one and three more in the Top Ten. The single "Rock Around the Clock" became the biggest selling rock and roll single in the history of the genre.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Haley_%26_His_Comets

You got me researching the origin of 'rock and roll' again. I did a little bit of that when I did a Mississippi project in SL related to the Blues Trail that traverses/traversed the South. There are stories buried under stories buried under stories. Eventually one gets to the most unknown, usually because they were women, black, or gay. To find the black lesbian woman is not easy, but it's there.

* I like to discover voices that were lost. If only discovered by one person, me, they are not so lost anymore.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

I think to put on an avatar that is referencing any religion and trying to use it for humor is iffy.

If you use it around people who consider their faith holy then it will seem like you are mocking them. If you use it around atheists, then less likely to offend. 

It would be compared to someone dressing up and trying to be funny about something that is near and dear to your heart. 

Yes, many people get way too triggered and offended but I don't think this topic falls into that issue. This is because faith is very important and in the heart and spirit. 

• Like 3

So, the bottom line is, regardless of what someone is thinking about doing...sit back and think, what are my true intentions? Am I ready to deal with the consequences of my actions? And can I deal with them in a civil way?

We all must do some sacrificing to get along with others. That's what respect for fellow man is about. 

I don't agree with a lot of opinions or beliefs whatever, but I try to respect their freedom to believe how they wish. I'm not going to run around with syringes in a funny way around people who don't believe in vaccines. It would also be nice if people didn't always pick Jesus to mock. 

Freedom of speech is allowed. Everything that is allowed however is not always beneficial. 

It boils down to respect for fellow man. Either practice it or not. If one wants to be a rebel and badass and refuses to practice it, then don't whine when no one wants to be around you. 

Edited by ClariceRose
  • Like 4

Just now, Garnet Psaltery said:

Tell me when is over.jpg

Meh, even when it is over it just rises, like a phoenix in some other unsuspecting thread. (Although in all truthfulness 99% of us (probably a made up number) KNEW that this thread was going to be non-stop skirmishes over anything and everything, just due to the title of the OP.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.