What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am generally very open and tolerant, not too many things can throw me out of my internal balance as I'm a pacifist person, but when someone puts something like "I'm claiming the right to pass your IMs to anyone I want to, and you accept that covenant with me regardless of what SL ToS says if you send me a message" in profile as one of their picks, I  suddenly want to tie them up, cover in honey and stick onto a pole in the middle of ants' nest. ^^

And if its THEM who start the conversation first... oh, my. Describing my thoughts its too brutal for a G rated post.

Besides that, I do squint my eyes and shake head at the usual "hey, nice avatar, wanna find a poseball?" thing, that's not really a "pet peeve" though. Oh, and, sound gesture overuse in some places ("iiiloooveeethiiiissstuneeeeullalalaalaaaa")... it just hurts my brain and ears; Luckily, one tickbox in preferences resolves that problem.

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Like 2

When an over-zealous host keeps her finger on the 'scream spam button' (no such thing, I know) "remove shoes! remove jewelry! remove boots! remove belts! remove huds! remove everything! stop gestures! in fact, just get undressed and stand still!" (ok, the last one was sarcasm) over and over until people leave a concert in disgust. 

Never any electrical tape around when you need it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

People who see you online and pounce before you’ve finished rezzing :)

Them: “Hi, how’s it going?”

Me: “Still rezzing, its all grey goo and exploded mesh-body-sections in my world. How’s you?”

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8975d1795bc732e735655

THANK YOU. I hate being pounced upon before I can even see my own hair.

Also, landing point squatters. I like to give them a good shove. :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I hate being pounced upon before I can even see my own hair.

Yes, yes. I know. But, see this from my perspective, Sylvia.

While I might convince an SL newbie that they are naked in public, this is a harder sell to experienced residents like you. So I must ferret out those brief moments of vulnerability, when there is the slightest possibility that I am telling the truth. Seasoned though my friends might be, the judicious application of a "Well, well, well, it's been ages since I've watched someone teleport right in front of me, wearing nothing but a smile." just seconds after a teleport can still make them wish they'd never met me.

That's an opportunity I simply can't ignore.

(Btw, I recently stumbled over a post in which you wondered if I remember the ladybug slippers we purchased years ago. I believe I do, and Scylla was unhappy I'd tracked mud across her floor while wearing them.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Seasoned though my friends might be, the judicious application of a "Well, well, well, it's been ages since I've watched someone teleport right in front of me, wearing nothing but a smile." just seconds after a teleport can still make them wish they'd never met me.

To be fair, you've given me plenty of reasons over the years. ;)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

"Well, well, well, it's been ages since I've watched someone teleport right in front of me, wearing nothing but a smile." just seconds after a teleport can still make them wish they'd never met me.

I think you have all the material necessary here to suggest a popular new Premium Member Benefit over in one of the 'What features do you want in Super Premium Membership' type threads. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

(Btw, I recently stumbled over a post in which you wondered if I remember the ladybug slippers we purchased years ago. I believe I do, and Scylla was unhappy I'd tracked mud across her floor while wearing them.)

I was talking about some matching green pumps we had; I forget the name of the store they came from. But I have located a photo of your slippers, which I may or may not have given to you:

6224839089_f9a16316de_o.png

4 hours ago, panterapolnocy said:

I am generally very open and tolerant, not too many things can throw me out of my internal balance as I'm a pacifist person, but when someone puts something like "I'm claiming the right to pass your IMs to anyone I want to, and you accept that covenant with me regardless of what SL ToS says if you send me a message" in profile as one of their picks, I  suddenly want to tie them up, cover in honey and stick onto a pole in the middle of ants' nest. ^^

And if its THEM who start the conversation first... oh, my. Describing my thoughts its too brutal for a G rated post.

Besides that, I do squint my eyes and shake head at the usual "hey, nice avatar, wanna find a poseball?" thing, that's not really a "pet peeve" though. Oh, and, sound gesture overuse in some places ("iiiloooveeethiiiissstuneeeeullalalaalaaaa")... it just hurts my brain and ears; Luckily, one tickbox in preferences resolves that problem.

No, no... you've got it all wrong. You stake them out over the anthill. You need 4 stakes and 4 sections of rope. A bottle of Perrier makes a nice touch.

firewalker7.jpg?w=431&h=266

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I was talking about some matching green pumps we had; I forget the name of the store they came from. But I have located a photo of your slippers, which I may or may not have given to you:

Those are the slippers I wear, and let's presume you gave them to me, as that makes them more special. Thank you... again!

I also recall your pumps, which had lovely little details on them. They were, I think, sage, a bit more green than the sofas in that image. You took me shopping to get a pair and they'd apparently been discontinued. I had to settle for a red pair, not as nice, and have envied you ever since.

• Like 2

@Madelaine McMasters  Look what I found in a folder inside another folder in my inventory! (And as for a pet peeve....whyyyyy can't we stuff entire folders as is into boxes? Think how much easier it would be to pack old crap if it would stay sorted!)

ETA: Oh, they were a hunt prize! That's why they weren't available to buy. :(

Untitled.jpeg

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 2

People asking me why they were banned.

And then, after 5 minutes of searching in ban and access lists, on which I can't find neither their username, which happens to start either with a capital i or a lower case L, nor their display name, which is made up of exotic Unicode characters... So, not finding these names in any of the ban lists. Then, I ask them where they were banned, and they mention a place I have never heard of, copying and pasting a conversation about the banning from someone I have never heard of, in which there are mentioned a group and two managers of that group, neither of whom I have ever heard of.

And all this 4 minutes after someone else IMs me with questions about a product I have never heard of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Another pet peeve of mine!

Venue owners that don't post events to the SL Calendar. It takes 2 minutes and increases exposure to the event, and thus to your venue. Most performers and their management if they have it are beyond willing to walk you through doing so. It helps everyone involved and it is one of the easiest things to do in pulling off an event.

• Like 1

The list is long....my all time hated is "I don't mix SL with RL" when it comes to mic use, it's 2019 folks why are we communicating in text only.

Plus no one gives a ***** your John holding down a 9 to 5 in something boring job but from 8 to 12am your Jill holding down a 50L$ hour hosting job in SL, we all love you.

4 hours ago, TheDarkhand said:

The list is long....my all time hated is "I don't mix SL with RL" when it comes to mic use, it's 2019 folks why are we communicating in text only.

Not in voice? As Selene said, because of hearing loss.

Because they don't want to disturb other people where they live.

Because it can be really difficult to converse with more than one other person in voice.

Because it breaks the immersion.

Because they don't want to.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, TheDarkhand said:

Plus no one gives a ***** your John holding down a 9 to 5 in something boring job but from 8 to 12am your Jill holding down a 50L$ hour hosting job in SL, we all love you.

Why? Because voice is annoying, cluttered with background sounds,  and it's highly variable in quality.  Text forces people to think about what they are saying,  instead of filling conversation with a lot of "er","um" noise and a lot of voices chattering over each other.  And it gives you a record of what everyone said,  so you can scroll back and read the bits that you missed. Text is far superior. 

• Like 12

5 hours ago, TheDarkhand said:

my all time hated is "I don't mix SL with RL" when it comes to mic use, it's 2019 folks why are we communicating in text only.

In all the years since 3/'08 when I created my first account until now, I've used the mic only a few times. And when I used Voice then only in order to hear people  during events like Meet The Lindens or some  such. But I never used voice at other occasions.

However: On my Linux system, voice was unreliable most of the times anyway, so I always had a good excuse to not use voice at all. 😈

Edited by ThorinII
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Why? Because voice is annoying, cluttered with background sounds,  and it's highly variable in quality.  Text forces people to think about what they are saying,  instead of filling conversation with a lot of "er","um" noise and a lot of voices chattering over each other.  And it gives you a record of what everyone said,  so you can scroll back and read the bits that you missed. Text is far superior. 

From what I have heard on YouTube vids, most voice comes out distorted and sounding like the person is literally eating the mic. They have no conception to how to place the mic for clarity.

Plus they tend to talk over each other, it is rather annoying.

I agree, text is superior.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, TheDarkhand said:

Because some work in RL jobs where they are on the phone all day long, and they want a break from listening and/or talking.

Because some accents are difficult for some of us to easily understand.

Because some people can hear but they cannot speak.

Because everything everyone else said above.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TheDarkhand said:

Personally I don't really differentiate RL and SL, I'm the same person in both worlds and I have nothing to hide - but, for various reasons people may want to get away from their RL, or just be someone else, and that's simply something one has to respect. How much, what and when a person decides to share any information about themselves is up to them. Usually, I find, people who claim not to mix SL and RL will eventually relax once they feel comfortable enough around you to share, but until such time one will simply have to either take them as they are or move along.

Besides, speaking English when you're used to a Swedish cadence is a bit like trying to talk with your mouth full. It demands an attentiveness which is a bit draining, which makes textual communication more relaxing to me. I voice chat on occasion, but even in my native tongue I'm not much of a speaker - if I don't have anything interesting or important to say, I'd rather just be quiet; and a lot of people who do communicate in voice expect there to actually be some communication.

• Like 5

On 6/29/2019 at 9:35 PM, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Got to ask Sylvia, what's that blonde hair????? :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.