What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On the subject of voice.....it's 2019.....sure

I never phone friends in RL, its all text.

I phone family, but in the case of my mother it can be hard going, but she doesn't text!

So I phone when I have something to say worth saying. Here it would spoil the experience for me, and others have covered the rest.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, BelindaN said:

I phone family, but in the case of my mother it can be hard going, but she doesn't text!

If I text my dad, it's usually something like: "Beer?" and what I get back is a line of hieroglyphic emoticons that could mean anything. If I text my mother, she rings me up - usually through Facebook, so that my computer freaks out.

• Haha 8

13 hours ago, TheDarkhand said:

it's 2019 folks why are we communicating in text only.

It might be 2019 but many people still refuse to use push-to-talk keys, and I have no interest in being part of the domestic feud currently going on in Hickville, Alabama. Even those people that do have a basic grasp of technology still tend to think sitting 4ft from an active television is a good idea, and/or have screaming toddlers running around. People! Control your offspring!

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, AyelaNewLife said:

People! Control your offspring!

And dogs, and partners.

Nothing like going to a club which allows voice communication, and an elderly 'Murrican woman sits there screaming at her dog to stop chewing on the cat whilst also trying to instruct her husband how to operate the barbecue through the window whilst also interrogating her grandson how his school day was, with a newsreel running on the TV in the background and the neighbor drilling in the wall. I suggested the club manager provide her with a tip jar.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Got to ask Sylvia, what's that blonde hair????? :)

I have been wondering the same thing since I dug that photo out for Maddy! I'll root around in my inventory and let you know if I find it. As old as that pic is, the hair very possibly is from Damselfly, which is where I bought a ton of hairs back in the day.

ETA: Found it, @BelindaN! Catwa Lamar V2, WinterBlondies pack. Purchased in 2011, so full of flexiness. 😛

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Thanks 1

One of my newer peeves is when someone submits to me -- and leaves the day after the next, running away and taking off their locked stuff, without even so much as a "bye" let alone an explanation as to why they left.

I do know and agree that everyone is free to go or stay wherever and whenever they want -- SL is a pastime virtual world after all, and supposed to be mostly fun -- but I do tell every "trainee" (those who get probation time with me, to get to know each other better) that I want to be told beforehand if they feel the need to leave, that we could talk about things, that I could unlock their stuff, etc.

And I must admit, this deliberate lack of communication really annoys me.

Edited by ThorinII
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, ThorinII said:

One of my newer peeves is when someone submits to me -- and leaves the day after the next, running away and taking off their locked stuff, without even so much as a "bye" let alone an explanation as to why they left.

A lot of people appear rather ignorant of what work goes into dealing with a new submissive, and can be rather ungrateful for it. Especially if they've just seen a movie and think that everything is going to flow as smoothly as a film script and that within 90 minutes they'll have gone from innocent newbies to full fledged submissives. I've never really had anyone run away as such, as I'm very slow to get started and won't put a collar on someone until they've shown that they can and will cooperate by their own accord first - but I get pretty meh'ed out when someone incessantly tells me that they want me to dominate them and tie them up and then immediately start telling me to 'do the deed'. That's not how my workflow goes - if they just want to 'get it over with', meh. Where's the fun in that?

I get that people have different approaches and expectations, but submissives who start demanding things the second they're tied up seems a bit peculiar to me. If someone wants control and to do it their way, perhaps they should consider trying it the other way around.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Orwar said:

And dogs, and partners.

Nothing like going to a club which allows voice communication, and an elderly 'Murrican woman sits there screaming at her dog to stop chewing on the cat whilst also trying to instruct her husband how to operate the barbecue through the window whilst also interrogating her grandson how his school day was, with a newsreel running on the TV in the background and the neighbor drilling in the wall. I suggested the club manager provide her with a tip jar.

I was screaming at a coyote to START chewing on the neighbor's cat. The neighbor was not drilling in the wall, I was trimming my nails. That was not my ex-husband, that was my semi-adopted 25 year old, who now has no eyebrows. I'm so glad you heard my grandson, as everyone in RL thinks he's imaginary. I keep Fox News on in the background to keep me company while I count the money from the tip jar the club manager provided for me after you made the suggestion. (ETA: Thank you!)

From now on I'll turn off Fox before logging in, so I don't have to make all these corrections.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Haha 8

Poorly named freebie/gift/items wanted to rezz something i knew i had in inventory didn't know the name couldn't find it in search went to all the places i might have got it from, looked through some old FLF's for clues. Wasn't until i packed off an alt shopping at SL16B i saw what i'd been looking for and then knew what to search in inventory 

• Like 1

Something that has become a new Pet Peeve just in the last few months:  Tons of threads about the exact same thing, almost always complaining, all because 1) somebody doesn't want to take the time to read and see if there is already a thread about that or 2) somebody just wants their moment of fame by opening their own thread.

*sigh*

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

On 7/1/2019 at 9:30 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

I was screaming at a coyote to START chewing on the neighbor's cat.

My husband and I have joked about needing the coyote to visit our neighbor's little tiny yap-yap ---- and we both love dogs and have had lots of them in our lives.  That dog, however, yaps pretty much non-stop, at everything and nothing, any time he is outside.  And it is one of those high pitched yaps, instead of a real dog bark.

I'd never really wish ill on an animal, but that dog definitely hits my buttons more than any other animal ever has.

24 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Something that has become a new Pet Peeve just in the last few months:  Tons of threads about the exact same thing, almost always complaining, all because 1) somebody doesn't want to take the time to read and see if there is already a thread about that or 2) somebody just wants their moment of fame by opening their own thread.

*sigh*

That's been an issue as long as I have been in these forums.  Some of it can be excused as newbie inexperience and a lot can be blamed on the fact that we have a bizarre number of sub forums and each one can have dozens of threads with non- obvious titles.  Still,  it's ANNOYING to see the same whiny question posted over and over again.  Excuses aside, people ought to take a little time to read before posting. 

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My husband and I have joked about needing the coyote to visit our neighbor's little tiny yap-yap ---- and we both love dogs and have had lots of them in our lives.  That dog, however, yaps pretty much non-stop, at everything and nothing, any time he is outside.  And it is one of those high pitched yaps, instead of a real dog bark.

I'd never really wish ill on an animal, but that dog definitely hits my buttons more than any other animal ever has.

We have a yapping beanie baby next door that taps all the time in a high pitched yap. We have about the same types of yards as Bellisseria and I can hear that stupid ankle biter when it is inside its house yapping and I am inside mine Unless I have the AC and TV going.  If I could pull one thing from SL to RL it would be restrict sound to parcel.

Thankfully our dogs are utterly oblivious to its noise.

Edited by Zoya McDonnagh
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's been an issue as long as I have been in these forums.  Some of it can be excused as newbie inexperience and a lot can be blamed on the fact that we have a bizarre number of sub forums and each one can have dozens of threads with non- obvious titles.  Still,  it's ANNOYING to see the same whiny question posted over and over again.  Excuses aside, people ought to take a little time to read before posting. 

Even more frustrating when there isn't even a question asked.  Simply a thread opened to whine/complain.

I think we are just in an upswing right now because of all the folks rushing to the forums due to the various LL things over the last few months:  Linden Homes, various price increases, and now Talia.

I have no doubt it will dwindle down a bit, but for now, I think I'd like another drink.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

*sigh*

oooooo Yous poutin! Best come sit yourself down on this here Group W bench. Along with the rest of us pouters. xD

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There is one near me. Luckily it doesn't get out often for long without supervision. If it did... I was sleepwalking, says the crazy wolf lady.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

*sigh*

Agrees. Oh. So. Much.

1) Seems a sad trend a lot of topics go that way after the first few pages, and it's not always new members doing so. I've actually had people comment on my posts before 'Sorry, didn't read the whole thing' but then reply anyway. Why bother? Is their opinion so important, or their time so short, it supersedes all else? 😕

2) Probably stems from the belief on some level that their posts probably get lost in aforementioned topics, so LL cannot possibly miss opinions that are posted as individual topics, and drop all else to solve their issue post-haste, right? 🙄

Another peeve I'll throw in there that relates to both 1 and 2: Negativity. I get that sometimes its entertaining to read posts along this vein. But sometimes some posts are just mean for the sake of being mean and by no means constructive or helpful at all. Sure people get tired and frustrated of having to answer the same question that they literally just answered. But do they have to answer again, and with some snarky comment (done on purpose, not accidental miscommunication) just to convey how personally irritated they are? Can't people just walk away and let someone else answer? Apparently not. Throwing insults makes one look witty. And its a step higher in the post count. And because reputation matters after all. Just wish common courtesy mattered more.

One more for the pile:

That whole TL;DR mentality. It's so prevalent now we as a society can't even type full words let alone sentences so we have to abbreviate as much as we can to acronyms. I shouldn't have to need Google translate just to engage in small talk, but it's the road down which we're headed. No wonder there is so much room for miscommunication and lack of human connection despite the fact that we're all, technologically speaking, connected. I look back at all the literary greats of the past; what we have today is the equivalent of alphabet soup. I wouldn't be surprised at all if in 20 years time conversation sounds almost binary; "HRU?" "OK. U?" "SSDD." "Y?" "IDFK. FML." "LOL." "STFU." "JK" "FFS." "ILY." "U2." 😑

• Like 1

And I thought it was just me having to google the meanings of txt spk.

I always text in full in the real world, so I'm quite uneducated in some of the acronyms and symbol use......

My add on peeve is those who ask for help then seemingly never return.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

And I thought it was just me having to google the meanings of txt spk.

I always text in full in the real world, so I'm quite uneducated in some of the acronyms and symbol use......

My add on peeve is those who ask for help then seemingly never return.

Same to both of these. I see many long, helpful replies to posts asking for help, and the person never responds again. 

And I often think about how much time I’d save if I’d drop the full sentences and punctuation when texting/IMing, but I can’t do it! I just can’t. 

• Like 4

On 7/3/2019 at 8:38 AM, Eva Knoller said:

Same to both of these. I see many long, helpful replies to posts asking for help, and the person never responds again. 

Oh, I will jump onto this peeve train! Yes, a thousand times, yes! People who post for help and then can't even be bothered to write a simple "TY" (too much to hope for it spelled out in full). Not even a ♥ given. This isn't just the forums though, it is also rife in Facebook, and I'm sure every where people can ask questions. I still answer questions, expecting no acknowledgement, but I still grumble when it doesn't come. I grumble on behalf of others who answer only to get the silence of crickets chirps. I have to fight the urge not to SCREAM, "Why don't you bother to Google it for yourself?" :::wanders off in search of calming adult beverage:::

• Like 5

On 7/2/2019 at 10:01 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Even more frustrating when there isn't even a question asked.  Simply a thread opened to whine/complain.

I think we are just in an upswing right now because of all the folks rushing to the forums due to the various LL things over the last few months:  Linden Homes, various price increases, and now Talia.

I have no doubt it will dwindle down a bit, but for now, I think I'd like another drink.

You made me scan the topics, because I hadn't heard about the Tilia thing. Apparently it is the death of SL and causing 10+ yr-old avatars to commit avicide. :(  Honestly, you put a dollar sign (even with an L in it) and I lose a hundred IQ points, so I'm still not sure what the heck that is about even after reading some posts on the official thread. :::passes you some more adult beverage:::: But everyone please note: I did NOT start a whole new thread about being really angry that I hadn't heard about Tilia. I did not start a new thread about being angry that I still don't quite understand it. No peeve pushing there, at least not this peeve. I could be peeving for other reasons, like adult beverage swilling. (I wonder how many times we've had the Death of SL due to a LL change in procedure during the ten years since I've had an avatar? Lots, I'll bet. I never find out that SL died until well after the fact. . .)

• Haha 5

It's been "the end of SL" at least once a year since I joined. The closing of the teen grid... the skill-games rules... the creation of Zindra... the ending of the First Land scheme... every time the L$ transaction fees increase... the closing of X-Street... the introduction of Voice... Viewer 2... Display names... the launch of Sansar... (in no particular order). The list goes on and every time people predict the death of SL within a year, and every time, another year goes by and we're still here.

But that doesn't peeve me. I pop into this thread now and again and I still can't think of anything that peeves me particularly much about SL besides excessive gesture use, unreadable display names and creepy guys hitting on me because they have a fetish for amputees (which has admittedly only happened to me twice). 

• Like 5

TPing onto a parcel listed for sale and landing under the water, beneath a sea of island prims. Or into a skybox. Or a tree. Or one that's for sale, but only accessible by a group. Recently, I landed in the giant fake land prim under a house. CHECK YOUR LANDING POINTS. *scurries away in her fuzzy slippers, trying to remember where she left her coffee* 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mahala Roviana said:

TPing onto a parcel listed for sale and landing under the water, beneath a sea of island prims. Or into a skybox. Or a tree. Or one that's for sale, but only accessible by a group. Recently, I landed in the giant fake land prim under a house. CHECK YOUR LANDING POINTS. *scurries away in her fuzzy slippers, trying to remember where she left her coffee* 

I love the parcels that are set for sale but have ban lines activated. That definitely does not motivate me to want to give the land owner my money. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.