What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

28 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I've been on the other side of the equation too, though: you ask for help, and 10 ppl will jump on it, all suggesting you try something else. And double the points when they come up with things not related to your issue at all. 😊

Yup.  I have been on both sides of that one, so I know how frustrating it can be for the person who has asked for help.  If you're asking for help, you don't want a pile of possibilities unrelated to your issue. You want The Right Answer. 

There's a good way to meet expectations in the middle: 

• If you are asking a question, ask it clearly so that people know what you are talking about. Include enough detail so that we can help narrow down the possible answers without having to trade a frustrating number of messages back and forth later.
  • If you're answering a question, be as specific as possible, in simple language.  If there are several possibilities, try to suggest the most likely ones and let the rest hang for now. If you need more information to make more than a random guess, ask for it.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Without reading behind the spoiler (yet) this used to happen a lot in the FS support group. Well. Ok. Not a lot a lot, but a lot.

Anyone who has worked support will be familiar with what's behind that spoiler tag ;)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Too true. :)

I've been on the other side of the equation too, though: you ask for help, and 10 ppl will jump on it, all suggesting you try something else. And double the points when they come up with things not related to your issue at all. 😊

You've been hanging out in FS support haven't you. 

/me runs before Whirlz kills me

xD

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yup.  I have been on both sides of that one, so I know how frustrating it can be for the person who has asked for help.  If you're asking for help, you don't want a pile of possibilities unrelated to your issue. You want The Right Answer. 

• If you are asking a question, ask it clearly so that people know what you are talking about. Include enough detail so that we can help narrow down the possible answers without having to trade a frustrating number of messages back and forth later.
  • If you're answering a question, be as specific as possible, in simple language.  If there are several possibilities, try to suggest the most likely ones and let the rest hang for now. If you need more information to make more than a random guess, ask for it.

I have a notecard that - luckily - I've not had to hand out yet, but it's ready in case. It's titled Help us to help you. Text behind the spoiler tag:

Help us to help you:

1. Please be clear about your problem. "My eyes look weird" is not clear. "My eyes look very shiny" is clear. One is easy to diagnose, the other is not and needs a lot of follow-up questions. Don't make us tease the information out of you!

2. Please give us as much information as you can in your initial query. Giving it to us across two, three, four, or more posts in chat can be very confusing. We may be busy answering your initial post and completely miss some clarifying info in your third post. Also, the support group can get very busy, so your subsequent posts might get lost amid general chatter or the 'busyness' of everyone helping others who have questions.

3. When we ask you questions please be as specific as possible with your answers. "I was demoing appliers" is not specific. (We would then have to ask you another question - "Which appliers were you demoing?" - in order to get the answer.) "I was demoing eye appliers" is specific and would save that extra question from needing to be asked.

4. Please work with us. If we ask you to do something, do it, even if you have already done it (or think you've already done it). Sometimes things need to be done in a specific order, and if they're not done that way the fix might not work. Yes, you might have done all those things, but in the wrong order! Or you may THINK you have done them, but you haven't (or you might not have done them fully). You'd be amazed how many people tell us "I've already tried that" and then - five minutes later - ask us HOW to do the thing they've told us they already tried.

5. If we don't see your question and answer it within a few minutes, please be patient. Gauge how busy we look, and if we're clearly helping several others then wait a few minutes and ask again. Please remember that the CSRs don't only help out in group chat; we often have more than one IM session on the go where we're helping someone, and we could also be with someone in person helping them out. We're not ignoring you; we can just be slammed-busy sometimes!

In short: please be clear, patient, specific, and give us as much info as you can in one post. We'll be able to help you a lot more quickly if we know the exact problem upfront :)

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

And preferably ask your question all in one post/go/line/whatever. When you 

type short phrases

like this

things can get

lost 

between others 

getting

help

at the same time.

When the support groups are busy. And they do get very busy at times with several people all demanding/needing/asking for help. At the same time. It's very easy to miss an important detail when the chat is flying by.

I should put this in the pet peeves thread. lol

ETA: @Skell Dagger has it covered perfectly in his notecard. Well done and thank you! Everyone in SL should have a copy!

Edited by Selene Gregoire

29 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Yeah. Dadaist posters aren't exactly a pet peeve, because I don't come across them that often, but when I do, kee-rist they are annoying.

I had a friend in another VW that was like that. The best she could do was make her phrases longer so it wasn't as bad. It was annoying and heart wrenching at the same time. She tried so hard but never really quite succeeded.

Noise spam, entitlement, and hostility can indeed be off-putting, but I don't mind gestures, wishlists, or profile setups so much. I can't really see a reason to knock on how someone expresses themselves or let's people know what they're into.

As for the sand in my crack:

• In-world stores with poor labeling and organization, where everything is placed haphazardly and ads/packaging are vague or super tiny 
  • Using misleading demos or photoshop in ads for clothing that doesn't match/fit together, or isn't customizable outside of a fatpack
    • (some big stores do this and it's kind of shameful)
  • Poor management; specifically places that ignore or don't ban hostile users and "long-con" trolls
    • (i.e. obnoxious people who are selectively nice and seem to forget rules whenever it suits them)
  • Heavy avatars/script-use in shopping centers/events
  • Hostility towards those who IM in chatspeak, which a lot of new/younger users from other platforms are more comfortable/acquainted with
    • (I like going to G/M areas and making new friends. I've seen small crowds get standoffish with someone until I interject and say hi, kind of sad when people are just trying to make connections).

Edited by KirinGale
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

I have another minor peeve: people who come to you for help and then do anything but what you tell them to. Double points if they do the exact opposite of what you tell them to, or they don't listen to you at all and carry on just doing random things that make the situation worse. An SL-related example is (because it's rather long) behind the spoiler tag:

Reveal hidden contents

Customer: I can't clear this 'demo' text off my mesh head. Can you help me?

Me: Sure. Add the HUD for your head onto your screen, and click the tab that says 'blush'

Customer: OK, one sec.

[five minutes later]

Me: Do you have the HUD on yet?

Customer: No. Was I supposed to?

Me: Yes, please add the HUD.

Customer. OK, I've added it.

Me: Now click the tab that says blu--

Customer: OMG MY WHOLE HEAD IS BLUE NOW!

Me: Right. Well, before we get rid of the demo text we now have to untint your head. Please don't touch ANYTHING unless I tell you to, okay?

Customer: OK

Me: Please click the tab that says 'tint'

Customer: Where?

Me: On the HUD for your head.

Customer: Oh, I took it off. One sec...

[ten minutes later]

Me: I'm going to assume that you've now added the HUD, so please click the tab that says 'tint'

[an hour passes]

Customer: I don't see any tabs on the HUD

Me: Which HUD do you have on?

Customer: It has lots of faces on it.

Me: That's the animation HUD. Please remove that HUD and put on the main HUD for your head.

Customer: OK, one sec...

Customer: WTF? MY HEAD CAME OFF!

me: [under breath] It's going to be a long night...

I saw that way too often back then when I was a newbie helper at a German Newbie Area... 😣

6 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

I have a notecard that - luckily - I've not had to hand out yet, but it's ready in case. It's titled Help us to help you. Text behind the spoiler tag:

Reveal hidden contents

Help us to help you:

1. Please be clear about your problem. "My eyes look weird" is not clear. "My eyes look very shiny" is clear. One is easy to diagnose, the other is not and needs a lot of follow-up questions. Don't make us tease the information out of you!

2. Please give us as much information as you can in your initial query. Giving it to us across two, three, four, or more posts in chat can be very confusing. We may be busy answering your initial post and completely miss some clarifying info in your third post. Also, the support group can get very busy, so your subsequent posts might get lost amid general chatter or the 'busyness' of everyone helping others who have questions.

3. When we ask you questions please be as specific as possible with your answers. "I was demoing appliers" is not specific. (We would then have to ask you another question - "Which appliers were you demoing?" - in order to get the answer.) "I was demoing eye appliers" is specific and would save that extra question from needing to be asked.

4. Please work with us. If we ask you to do something, do it, even if you have already done it (or think you've already done it). Sometimes things need to be done in a specific order, and if they're not done that way the fix might not work. Yes, you might have done all those things, but in the wrong order! Or you may THINK you have done them, but you haven't (or you might not have done them fully). You'd be amazed how many people tell us "I've already tried that" and then - five minutes later - ask us HOW to do the thing they've told us they already tried.

5. If we don't see your question and answer it within a few minutes, please be patient. Gauge how busy we look, and if we're clearly helping several others then wait a few minutes and ask again. Please remember that the CSRs don't only help out in group chat; we often have more than one IM session on the go where we're helping someone, and we could also be with someone in person helping them out. We're not ignoring you; we can just be slammed-busy sometimes!

In short: please be clear, patient, specific, and give us as much info as you can in one post. We'll be able to help you a lot more quickly if we know the exact problem upfront :)

Oh, why not ask for a pony while you're at it?  You KNOW the ones who need that notecard are never going to read it!

• Haha 4

On 12/13/2018 at 12:57 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Oh I just have one pet peeve. I really can't stand people who are annoyed by either of the following: empty profiles, 'unreadable' fonts, unmatching body parts, flexi prims, AO-less avis, jazz hands, no-hairbase updos. That's basically it. For the rest, I consider myself pretty tolerant.

Yes i agree with you. I didnt understand the purpose of the original poster's list at all. lol

If it was a rant about about someone doing something harmful, rude, annoying, trolling, that affects another person, then it should be a pet peeve.

But if just about how someone's own avatar on how they like to display or dress up their avatar, name and label themselves, why would u be against that? How does it actually affect you in any way?

Edited by GypsiesSoul
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GypsiesSoul said:

Yes i agree with you. I didnt understand the purpose of the original poster's list at all. lol

If it was a rant about about someone doing something harmful, rude, annoying, trolling, that affects another person, then it should be a pet peeve.

But if just about how someone's own avatar on how they like to display or dress up their avatar, name and label themselves, why would u be against that? How does it actually affect you in any way?

fzuab.jpg

Because I had to read the profile etc, therefore it affects me. 

Now, it doesn't affect me enough to justify demanding that the other person change their ways to suit my whims. I think we can all agree on that. But it still affects me because I've come into contact with it. It's a simple concept really.

A pet peeve is no more than "I find this thing particularly annoying". The (Oxford Dictionary) definition is literally "something that a particular person finds especially annoying". That annoyance doesn't have to be justified, nor does it need to be the common consensus. This is another simple concept.

For example, a pet peeve of mine is the monthly edge poster that tries to show off how big their brains are by trying to restrict what other people are and are not allowed to be annoyed by. That is something I find especially annoying. Of course, those higher forms of intelligence are perfectly entitled to continue demonstrating their galaxy-sized brains... and I'm perfectly entitled to continue finding it particularly annoying; ie, a pet peeve of mine.

5 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

fzuab.jpg

Because I had to read the profile etc, therefore it affects me. 

Now, it doesn't affect me enough to justify demanding that the other person change their ways to suit my whims. I think we can all agree on that. But it still affects me because I've come into contact with it. It's a simple concept really.

A pet peeve is no more than "I find this thing particularly annoying". The (Oxford Dictionary) definition is literally "something that a particular person finds especially annoying". That annoyance doesn't have to be justified, nor does it need to be the common consensus. This is another simple concept.

For example, a pet peeve of mine is the monthly edge poster that tries to show off how big their brains are by trying to restrict what other people are and are not allowed to be annoyed by. That is something I find especially annoying. Of course, those higher forms of intelligence are perfectly entitled to continue demonstrating their galaxy-sized brains... and I'm perfectly entitled to continue finding it particularly annoying; ie, a pet peeve of mine.

Actually no, you actually didn't need to read their profile.
Basically you've decided to be nosy using your own time to check on a person's profile, then you blame that person and complain about their profile not fitting up to your standards?
I mean, OK if in their profile's content, they said something offensive, it make sense to be upset over it.
But we're talking about how a person display their profile, right?

My post was basically about agreeing with Arduenn's post because I didn't understand how
the very first poster of the thread complaining about empty profiles like as if we're all supposed to put something in the profile just to entertain her so she wont get bored?
Or as if we are supposed to worry about having enough money and shopping time to make our avatars looking sophisticated enough for her to deem us worthy, so that she wont judge us for it?
Not everyone on SL is trying to advertise themselves or into the fashion or whatnot.

Let me explain why i agreed with Ardueen's post.
Since Im still new to SL , today when I first clicked this thread, i was actually thinking "Oh cool maybe i can learn something about SL so I wont accidentally offend someone"
such as things like "Don't Friend request someone until you talked with them first". I wanted good advice to improve on my SL.
But i was just surprised by the first post of the thread and didn't have enough time to read more than page 1,
and I agreed with Arduenn's post which is also on page 1.

And hey, there's no need to be your passive-aggression displayed in your last paragraph.
Who is this "monthly edge poster" that you are referring to? Me or Arduenn? Why are you trying to label someone as something? Why are you resorting to name-calling?
Absolutely nothing I've said in my previous post was edgy.
And what do you mean by "monthly"?
Do you mean someone who post once a month? Are you trying to imply someone who has not posted enough on this forum to be worthy to give an opinion? Are you trying to restrict what people post on the forum because it doesn't fit your forum posting standards or have strong forum credentials? If you are accusing me of being "monthly edge poster" please give examples and explanation and proof?

I find this ironic because, aren't you actually the "edge poster", who actually brought in the the dictionary definitions into the conversation,
trying to sound smart with your "galaxy sized brain" to have an argument over a word-choice? You are trying to "restrict" me.

If you are so triggered by incorrect word choice of "pet peeve", please let me rephrase my sentence from:
"If it was a rant about about someone doing something harmful, rude, annoying, trolling, that affects another person, then it should be a pet peeve."
to
"If it was a rant about about someone doing something harmful, rude, annoying, trolling, that affects another person, then it should be something worth getting upset over"

Next thing I know, you will find my incorrect usage of "ironic"?

By all means, feel free to post your pet peeves. I wasnt trying to stop anyone from having pet peeves. I was trying to understand and have a discussion on how certain pet peeves is worth or not worth getting upset over and how does it really affect you. Reread my other post if you need to. My post had ended with a question for open discussion. Im just here hoping my empty profile and unsophisticated avatar doesn't offend anyone because im keeping it that way lol

Edited by GypsiesSoul
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not much here gets me going but this Equal 10 shopping thing...…….the sim is full, I could get to the cam sim, but what a complete waste of time, I couldn't get that to work properly at all.

Maybe I'm a numpty, but that was a complete waste of my time. I don't like crowded 'something for nothing' sales anyway, but oh boy, how do they expect to optimise sales when you just can't get in..... it's ridiculous 😡

I'm not pleased.

10 hours ago, GypsiesSoul said:

(Far too many words that miss the point.)

By all means, feel free to post your pet peeves. I wasnt trying to stop anyone from having pet peeves. I was trying to understand and have a discussion on how certain pet peeves is worth or not worth getting upset over and how does it really affect you. 

19 hours ago, GypsiesSoul said:

This is why I posted the dictionary definition of a pet peeve. You've made it clear that you don't actually understand what the phrase means, and so you're complaining about a straw man. Because getting visibly upset over something (or otherwise) is utterly irrelevant to whether something is a pet peeve or not.

Ask yourself this simple question: "does this thing noticeably annoy me?" If the answer is yes, it is a pet peeve. That's it. Don't read anything else into the question. How you react to that annoyance is another matter entirely, as is whether that annoyance is even justified. It doesn't matter if you froth at the mouth in response to the pet peeve, or decide that it doesn't really matter and move on with life; all it has to do is cause that little spark of irritation and it's a pet peeve.

19 hours ago, GypsiesSoul said:

How does it actually affect you in any way?

The answer to this is simple: it doesn't have to. Thoughts don't require justification; actions do. And a pet peeve is about thoughts, nothing more.

Does that clear things up?

• Like 2

As it happened to me yet again; people who open an IM by saying "hi" or the suchlike, and then go offline within 2-3 minutes. I'm not talking about freak coincidental disconnects, I'm talking about people who start a conversation and then immediately go offline for the day. 

That rustles me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Walking behind someone in a skinny hallway and they are walking soooooo slow and there isn't enough room to pass them without practically shoving them into the wall.

Hmmmmm, nevermind.  That was RL.

that is so me!

(and the weird thing is i really really dislike myself for feeling like that! but it is sooooooooooooooo annoying...)

Emma :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Walking behind someone in a skinny hallway and they are walking soooooo slow and there isn't enough room to pass them without practically shoving them into the wall.

Hmmmmm, nevermind.  That was RL.

Mine is when you’re trying to get around, but they’re slowly meandering left and right so you can’t get around!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I don't like crowded 'something for nothing' sales anyway, but oh boy, how do they expect to optimise sales when you just can't get in.....

If they're giving away stuff, I don't think the sales volume really means much.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.