SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

34 minutes ago, Luna Istmal said:

Coming back to the houses matter… Would be very nice if LL  would update the new theme houses for all, giving us more chances for changing the  house style :)

I can't see that happening really. The emphasis (and rightly so in my mind) is to get a lot of plots out to meet the demand. It seems like the original plan has already been changed twice (the atoll and now the extra traditionals with some more houseboats coming).  While LL could add to the current traditional styles, I think they are way to busy getting ready to give people MORE choices. Likely as more styles roll out some folks in traditional houses will move to the newly released and better fitting for them styles -- giving folks that want one of the traditionals a chance to move there.

REMEMBER that these are meant to be STARTER HOMES (reitterated by Patch recently in the Bellisserian interview). 

Someday the MIGHT add to the mailboxes but traditionally that hasn't been the way The Lab has worked. Always new projects on the roadmap. And as a designer I definitely get that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Someday the MIGHT add to the mailboxes but traditionally that hasn't been the way The Lab has worked.

That is true, but the same it is true that they are costantly developing new ideas and projects, we saw that with this new concept of starter homes so… who knows what can happen in the future? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

REMEMBER that these are meant to be STARTER HOMES (reitterated by Patch recently in the Bellisserian interview). 

I did not read that into his words at all. He said they are limited in what they offer and that for some they may want more options, he specifically addressed color choices in the article. For many, including myself, who have lived in mainland for years and years, these homes aren't starter homes, for me in fact, they are ender homes. I don't plan on moving away from Bellisseria. I've had more than enough of mainland and I NEVER enjoyed estate living. 

I really do not believe that Patch was suggesting that the new Linden homes are only meant to be starter homes.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I did not read that into his words at all. He said they are limited in what they offer and that for some they may want more options, he specifically addressed color choices in the article. For many, including myself, who have lived in mainland for years and years, these homes aren't starter homes, for me in fact, they are ender homes. I don't plan on moving away from Bellisseria. I've had more than enough of mainland and I NEVER enjoyed estate living. 

I really do not believe that Patch was suggesting that the new Linden homes are only meant to be starter homes.

1300138440_patchlindeninterviewunderlined.png.7b97a5316af4e50afbabd8291dbd8b5c.png

Interview at: https://thebellisserian.wixsite.com/news

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 2

I think they are developing the concept, surely  the actual continent and homes offer more than the old ones, we have more space and a beautiful, rich environment; yes, we can consider them "generally  still positioned as starter homes" but is that "generally and still" words that make me reflect cause what we have is a home in the true sense of it, something that we can live in a social way doing activities, something that really can be called "home", and I never will stop to thank LL for that :)

Edited by Luna Istmal
  • Like 1

The generally accepted definition of starter home =

a relatively small, economical house or condominium that meets the requirements of young people buying their first home.

It's that idea that the Linden Homes are somehow inferior to other land/homes in SL. In many cases, the Linden homes are much better than what we can get both in mainland and private estates. So, that's why I buckle at labeling these beautiful homes surrounded by wonderful neighborhoods as starter homes.

• Like 2

I think that they refer to them as Starter Homes because LL hopes that many/most will ultimately want more land and thus go buy larger mainland plots that result in LL getting more money from them in tier fees.  Or even if people decide they want a lot more freedom over what they can do to their homes and land, they will either go buy some Mainland or go rent somewhere, both of which aid the SL economy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I think that they refer to them as Starter Homes because LL hopes that many/most will ultimately want more land and thus go buy larger mainland plots that result in LL getting more money from them in tier fees.  Or even if people decide they want a lot more freedom over what they can do to their homes and land, they will either go buy some Mainland or go rent somewhere, both of which aid the SL economy.

I'm not sure that's going to play out as they expect.  

• Like 1

Or they might just get more than one premium and own more than one parcel like I have, which also helps the economy. Considering that the lab is trying to move away from a land based economy and into more of a sales tax economy I think that staying put in these so-called starter homes and buying furnishing and gardening deco will benefit the economy as much as someone moving from Linden homes and into another form of land ownership.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Or they might just get more than one premium and own more than one parcel like I have, which also helps the economy. Considering that the lab is trying to move away from a land based economy and into more of a sales tax economy I think that staying put in these so-called starter homes and buying furnishing and gardening deco will benefit the economy as much as someone moving from Linden homes and into another form of land ownership.

BIngo. Exactly the point I made in my last post on my thread I linked to, and not a bad outcome, profit wise, for LL. But if LL just let's it play out like that, and they don't address mainland becoming less & less desirable over time.... well that could lead to resentment and I'd like to think we can find solutions before that happens.

Edited by Kitten Kaos
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Linden Homes have many of the same advantages that small rental homes in RL offer.  You have a place to live and to decorate, but you don't need to worry about maintenance issues.  If something goes wrong, the landlord will deal with it. You don't have to jump through a lot of hoops to lease the home (well, unless you count hitting the request button over and over again) -- certainly not all the cash outlay of buying a house, having it sited on the land, and hiring a guy with a bulldozer to flatten or unflatten the land. 

On the other hand, in both LH and RL rental homes you have a limited selection of styles and you are not allowed to make permanent changes to them.  Zoning laws and covenant restrictions limit what you are allowed to do on the land too.

The appeal of a "starter home" in both worlds is that is gives you as a new homeowner a low-risk chance to experience being a homeowner.  You give up some flexibility but you don't have to really know what you're doing either. For some people, that's enough.  I know people in RL who have lived in the same "starter" homes for 30 years.  For those who can afford it and who want to enjoy some of the freedoms (and headaches) that come with real home ownership, though, the starter home is a stopover on the road to greater things.  If the starter home isn't enough, you use your experience and invest in land to put your own house on. I've been there more than once.

The old Linden Homes seem to have been designed for people who are expected to move along.  The new ones are more attractive for people who will want to live there forever.  Despite a few detractors' comments, they are not Tarrytown tacky boxes on the hillside.  They are places that you can have fun decorating, inside and out and they in areas that look like real neighborhoods.  So, they are "starter" in the sense of being a comfortable gateway into the LH housing market but not necessarily in the sense of being temporary occupancy homes.

• Like 10

I personally love the idea of having different premium memberships with different sizes of Linden Homes. Bellisseria, as it is now, would be the size of homes and boats in the lowest tier of premium and then have the ability to move up to equally beautifully landscaped neighborhoods with rivers and seas and docks and parks and all the same amenities with slightly larger plots and more prims. 

I say slightly larger parcels instead of double because I'd like to them still be not so spread out so it maintains the neighborhood feel. Actually, double size might be okay, especially since the houses would be larger, I'm sure. 

I've not seen anyone do this well outside of... well, Bellisseria, really. There are a lot of gorgeous neighborhoods that people have created and they rent parcels, but they're usually empty. I love the bustle of Bellisseria, but I'd also love to go a little bit bigger as well.

Some people might even want a Linden Mansion in a Linden Neighborhood in Bellisseria Hills or Bellisseria Canyon on the third pricing tier.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I love the bustle of Bellisseria

I'm holding my optimism on that in check for a while.  The homes are all still very new.  When the original Linden Homes were released, I often saw lots of areas with lots of people, but that pretty much all faded after 6-12 months.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I personally love the idea of having different premium memberships with different sizes of Linden Homes. Bellisseria, as it is now, would be the size of homes and boats in the lowest tier of premium and then have the ability to move up to equally beautifully landscaped neighborhoods with rivers and seas and docks and parks and all the same amenities with slightly larger plots and more prims. 

I say slightly larger parcels instead of double because I'd like to them still be not so spread out so it maintains the neighborhood feel. Actually, double size might be okay, especially since the houses would be larger, I'm sure. 

I've not seen anyone do this well outside of... well, Bellisseria, really. There are a lot of gorgeous neighborhoods that people have created and they rent parcels, but they're usually empty. I love the bustle of Bellisseria, but I'd also love to go a little bit bigger as well.

Some people might even want a Linden Mansion in a Linden Neighborhood in Bellisseria Hills or Bellisseria Canyon on the third pricing tier.

i think this could be the biggest mistake they made in long time ( not current situation yet, but what you describe) they will get in frontal attack at many private estates with it. It might hurt their estates thát much that many loose their renters and throw their regions on the market or, worse... simply delete those by hundreds/thousends ( in total) There will be needed many thousends of new premiums to take that loss of income.

• Like 7

I was just writing the same Fox, for sure we all have different desires and like to have bigger parcels and houses, maybe it would be possible for LL, but it will change the economy of the whole SL, will have an impact on mainland  and estates that now offer an alternative to people that want to expand their properties. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm holding my optimism on that in check for a while.  The homes are all still very new.  When the original Linden Homes were released, I often saw lots of areas with lots of people, but that pretty much all faded after 6-12 months.

I am an eternal Pollyanna. 😊

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

i think this could be the biggest mistake they made in long time ( not current situation yet, but what you describe) they will get in frontal attack at many private estates with it. It might hurt their estates thát much that many loose their renters and throw their regions on the market or, worse... simply delete those by hundreds/thousends ( in total) There will be needed many thousends of new premiums to take that loss of income.

There will always be people who want a huge plot of land with tons of privacy to terraform and build and do whatever they want with, same as now.  This would simply be an alternative for those of us who suck at terraforming and building and feel like clicking the check box is privacy enough for them. 

And I seriously hope that LL is constantly looking at ways to promote new premium members above and beyond its current user base. What business doesn't want new customers? 

"It might do this, it might do that... it might, it might, it might it, might..." It might also incentivize new memberships, make current premium members increase and thus pay LL even more money, make the land barons reconsider and rework their own current practices, it might encourage designers to make more furniture, knick-knacks, curtains, add-ons, etc., etc., ad nauseum, it might increase income, it might do any number of things. 

I was just tossing out what I would, as I said above, personally love to see. I hardly think it's the worst thing LL could consider doing.

• Like 3

I think, if you forget about the terraform and I want to have my own BIG private space people. That the new lindenhomes are great as they are. I seriously doubt that space is the reason to move, it all about the prims, for most of us. So a more expensive premium with more prims for your linden home, THAT will affect the prv rent and bounce them of the name "starter homes". Clearly not that I care, because I would love to have that option. I have a nice plot, a cute house, lovely surroundings. All I wish is that little bit more prims. I think that goes for most of us. Either way, man... we came a long way. How I love being here again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fox Wijaya said:

I think it's a matter of delicate balance. I like Beth's idea, and I'd certainly pay for a higher Premium account, if I could get, say, 750 prim for my houseboat (or a plot on a similarly new themed region). But yes, you don't want the prim allowance (more important, I think, than land size per se) to start competing with their existing region plans. A homestead is 5,000 prim, though; so, even at 750, those higher class Premium accounts would hardly be match (and cause to abandon the homestead). But even if that were to happen, look at the popularity of the Bellisseria plots! They just can't create enough of them, fast enough. So, even thousands of 750-prim plots sold might actually make up for a few losses in homesteads.

See, if I may continue on this a bit, homesteads are precisely so popular, because they're not full regions. The latter is simply too expensive for many ppl (or they simply don't want to drop that kind of cash per month on virtual land). So, my point being:  it would be silly to look at homestead sale, and go "Oh, that's a loss of a full region sale." As you're selling a lot more homesteads, of course (because of the more favorable cost/benefit ratio).

I'm sure Linden has marketing beancounters figuring out of these numbers. :)  But Beth's idea may not be as outrageous as one might think, is all.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

The old Linden Homes seem to have been designed for people who are expected to move along.  The new ones are more attractive for people who will want to live there forever.  Despite a few detractors' comments, they are not Tarrytown tacky boxes on the hillside.  They are places that you can have fun decorating, inside and out and they in areas that look like real neighborhoods.  So, they are "starter" in the sense of being a comfortable gateway into the LH housing market but not necessarily in the sense of being temporary occupancy homes.

The old Linden Homes were built at a time when LL's focus for the revenue stream that keeps the lights on was land use fees. That is no longer the case as they are now shifting to focus more on user fees - Premium Membership.  These new homes fit that perfectly.

• Like 8

• Administrators
14 hours ago, North Glenwalker said:

Looks like our old friend the "Burning Bush" ghost is back again at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Residentia/52/74/23

be520b3f5011649bdf920d3247fb7a91.png

R.I.P.   (???) (???)

125edb93eb6450ec81f1f9d681c634bc.jpg

A stone to forever immortalise your presence.   It should be added to the...   wait, is there a haunted Bellisseria tour?

• Like 1
  • Haha 11