SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

Just now, s2Pandora said:

Somebody stated maybe they are doing it because they saw the excitement from people when the boathouse area was released, and maybe wanted to try it out. I'm sure people will try and message them, no doubt. 😃 But they don't necessarily have to respond if they are working, or don't want to.

For future reference, ;) and :P not necessarily together, but certainly on their own in any part of a post made by me, is indicative of a joke/jest.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Walpurgisnacht said:

For future reference, ;) and :P not necessarily together, but certainly on their own in any part of a post made by me, is indicative of a joke/jest.

I got that, at least for the quotes part. XD But hey, noted anyway!

• Like 2

• Moles
15 hours ago, s2Pandora said:

I think if they were doing that, it'd be best to bar access of anybody but them. Let people watch, but they can't get in the way.

We can block access if we need to but we'd prefer not to if we don't have to. The main reason we left it open there is so residents can still use the river for boating. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

Just now, Abnor Mole said:

We can block access if we need to but we'd prefer not to if we don't have to. The main reason we left it open there is so residents can still use the river for boating. 

Ah, my apologies then, I failed to realize the river was part of these areas. I hope then that people behave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s2Pandora said:

Somebody stated maybe they are doing it because they saw the excitement from people when the boathouse area was moved over, and maybe wanted to try it out. I'm sure people will try and message them, no doubt. 😃 But they don't necessarily have to respond if they are working, or don't want to.

I was that someone but changed my mind since.

I went to that region and there are people already living in the homes from the first release (as is to be expected).
For completely uninhabited regions, I expect the moles to construct the regions on the SSP continent, then copy the region over once it's done.
But SSPE71 already has residents living in the homes from the first release and copying over an entire region on top of what's already there could cause all sorts of problems for them. I don't know for certain what would happen, it could be anything from a mild annoyance, like simply resetting the parcel ownership back to Governor Linden, to completely erasing all the objects already in the region and replacing it with the contents of the region that is copied over which would cause the current residents to lose all they have rezzed (if any of it is no copy), like when you copy one file on top of another after you have changed the first file, you would lose your changes too.

So I now think that it's not so much an experiment, as it is something done out of consideration for the residents of that region. I don't expect this to happen in regions without residents so let's enjoy being able to witness the building process while we can.

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

I was that someone but changed my mind since.

I went to that region and there are people already living in the homes from the first release (as is to be expected).
For completely uninhabited regions, I expect the moles to construct the regions on the SSP continent, then copy the region over once it's done.
But SSPE71 already has residents living in the homes from the first release and copying over an entire region on top of what's already there could cause all sorts of problems for them. I don't know for certain what would happen, it could be anything from a mild annoyance, like simply resetting the parcel ownership back to Governor Linden, to completely erasing all the objects already in the region and replacing it with the contents of the region that is copied over which would cause the current residents to lose all they have rezzed (if any of it is no copy), like when you copy one file on top of another after you have changed the first file, you would lose your changes too.

So I now think that it's not so much an experiment, as it is something done out of consideration for the residents of that region. I don't expect this to happen in regions without residents so let's enjoy being able to witness the building process while we can.

If you look carefully or take a screenshot and view it in your graphics software (better) you can see that there are NO residents in SSPE71.    The green dots you see in this screenshot are folks that are up against the invisible "no entry" region barrier.  If you look closely at the whole continent you will see that Patch and the Moles were VERY careful about not leaving any partially finished areas. 

1562409561_newLHarearedlines.png.de7ffec06eb958f1bc6132c2468dce69.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

.... I don't know for certain what would happen, it could be anything from a mild annoyance, like simply resetting the parcel ownership back to Governor Linden, to completely erasing all the objects already in the region and replacing it with the contents of the region that is copied over which would cause the current residents to lose all they have rezzed (if any of it is no copy), like when you copy one file on top of another after you have changed the first file, you would lose your changes too....

I happen to know for I am active in Open Sim too. There you can save a region as an OAR file and later load it again. Like with all files by loading an older copy (or a copy you changed on another computer) you erase ALL that you have changed since. By loading the new region into a region where people since have decorated their homes they would loose EVERYTHING they put there.

Knowing that I dare say they would never upload a half finished region and give houses to people if they had in mind to make great changes to this region later. So @Chic Aeon is absolutely right and THAT cannot be the reason they work on SSPE71 and SSPE72 inworld instead of in the SSP Regions.

Edited by Leora Jacobus

1 hour ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I happen to know for I am active in Open Sim too. There you can save a region as an OAR file and later load it again. Like with all files by loading an older copy (or a copy you changed on another computer) you erase ALL that you have changed since. By loading the new region into a region where people since have decorated their homes they would loose EVERYTHING they put there.

I too am active in OpenSim, been so for nearly a decade. However, even though OpenSim and SL are quite similar, the LL servers have features that OpenSim does not have and vice versa. Moreover, you can load an OAR and merge its contents with the existing region (load oar -m /path/to/your.oar) resulting in a combination of the two regions.
Only a Linden Lab employee with the powers to move and copy regions can tell us what would happen if they copied a region over, if it would be merged, replaced, or perhaps something else.

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
Fix formatting... hopefully
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moles

Once a region has been released to residents for occupancy, it cannot be cloned to again. It would revert to the saved state of the clone. All of the changes to the live region since it was released would be lost. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10

11 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I cannot say more as it is against the rules :D

No need to say anything more!
We will finally find out if the "trailerpark" in SL16B Spellbound is really a trailer park or something else, like, I don't know, hollow tree trunks? 🙂

• Haha 3

I had NO IDEA that there were 38,000 Linden homes in the older area. Wow.  So that two year estimate that we talked about is likely closer to "finishing and moving folks over time" than the one year estimate from a couple of months back.  Of course the new homes could get more workers and move along more quickly. 

One thing that hopefully The Lab has been paying attention to ---  that a seemingly a lot of the 512 LH owners want INTERIOR space and don't care about yards :D. That certainly isn't ME, but evidently plenty of others. So maybe some 512 sized "brownstones" that had minimal or no buffers at the sides and small little wall gardens and balconies?   Two stories with the same space that is in the current Linden Homes?  That's the first thing that comes to mind for me.  That would be easy moves for some of the 512 folks (who may have a 512 shop or donated tier). 

Obviously this new release isn't that. We can see plenty of trees, a lake and "paths" instead of paved roads.  But apparently there are plenty of ideas on the drawing board so it will be great fun to see what appears over time. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
bad bad grammar
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Obviously this new release isn't that. We can see plenty of trees, a lake and "paths" instead of paved roads. 

What it reminds me of is small cabins for the more outdoorsy types. A great kind of home for those that have one or more (rideable) horses and would like to keep them rezzed on their parcel, or those that like to spend more time in their front yard than indoors. People that like to live in a perpetual front yard picnic.
I have known some of those kinds of people and I am fairly certain that there are lots of them on SL as well. 
It's not my cup of tea, but then again, my houseboat may not be their cup of tea 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, fairlyprincess said:

I Apologize if this has been around for awhile, but i just came across it.. I didn't know that mountain homes had already been added..  it appears to be privately owned.. but there is a security orb around the whole parcel..

mtnhouse.jpg

I think it belongs to a Mole.  We figured out it's just a premium home.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
updated info
  • Thanks 1