SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

These are real houseboats:

category_2002_hotspur-595x446.jpg&key=61

06C736B9000007D0-0-image-a-42_1550851853

Not around the lakes in the Midwest USA where I grew up.  Houseboats did not look anything like the above, but rather they looked like these other pictures people posted:

1 hour ago, Fox Wijaya said:

H2A-Woonboot-A_D-01-1000x666.jpg

and

59 minutes ago, AngieRath said:

Houseboats,_Belgrade,_Serbia.jpg

Clue is in the name. HOUSE. BOAT.  They are supposed to float and move on water.  LL, you have built pontoons and piers, not houseboats !

Like so many other words used around the world, they have different meanings in different areas.  LL's version of the Houseboat is a very much what you might find here in the US around the Great Lakes and Lake of the Ozarks regions.

• Like 6

SL was designed to be a virtual world created by its users. Lets compare Bellisseria and Sansara, as they are the youngest and oldest continents.

Bellisseria:

Literally everything there has been preplanned and prebuilt by LL and their Moles. You are merely a tenant in their prebuilt, regimented, gated-community/continent, where individuality and creativity isn't allowed. The continent has a bland soulless corporate feel to it , and doesn't even "feel" like SL to me.

The houses in Bellesseria are all US style wooden box houses, which to my English tastes and perspective are unappealing, ugly, and look like oversized garden sheds. Having searched the entire continent, it does not contain a single house made from bricks or stones.

Bellisseria's "houseboats" are incorrectly called houseboats. Their correct names are actually "Float Houses" (a North American name btw), which are houses built on rafts or pontoons, of which Bellisseria's are. Traditional real houseboats are converted boats/ships with houses built into or on top of them. Houseboats can be sailed around with their own engines or sails, while floathouses cannot and are moored or anchored to a fixed location.

Bellisseria's streets are all too perfectly straight, they look the same in every region, and are built on an uninteresting and unnatural grid system, which makes for a very boring straight line car driving experience,  punctuated with right angled intersection turns.

The regions all look too similar to each other, almost if they have been copy-pasted down from a template, as its quicker and easier to do so. There are no unique landmarks to define and identify one region from another. No shops or businesses exist there either, because its purely residential only. No sandboxes for group creativity.

Welcome to your ready-made virtual world where you will never need to create anything! (Which is totally against the  "virtual world created by its users" LL mantra.)

Bewarned. Bay City and Nova Albion were once the shiny new popular things.  Now they're not....

Sansara:

The first continent. Historic. Unplanned. Organic. Chaotic - and even a bit ugly to newcomers who don't understand why Sansara looks the way it does.

Sansara's regions, parcels, builds, objects and lost prims were all  built during a 16+ year time span from individual residents and creators not working to a predetermined overall masterplan. Sansara has a rich and diverse history and story in every single one of its prims - something that Bellesseria will never have. 

The oldest 16 regions/sims of Sansara date from 2002 when SL was in Alpha and Beta test periods and was called Linden World instead of Second Life. At that time, complex mesh builds, sculpts, and even basic prims over 10 metres in size did not yet exist. Through invention and creativity on Sansara (and its younger sister continents), these creative elements were "invented" and incorporated into today's SL.  

Sansara is a historic, creative and much loved continent that doesn't deserve to have Bellisseria parked off its southern coast. Why?  Because they are polar opposites of each other. Sansara has and continues to produce creativity, while Bellesseria does not and gives nothing back, except L$ revenue for LL.

Bellesseria's close proximity to Sansara somehow cheapens the legacy of entire Sansara continent. Like an analogy of having a McDonalds built next to Stonehenge or other world heritage sites. I think Bellisseria should be entirely moved as far away from Sansara as possible, perhaps back to its original SSP location, or somewhere between Gaeta and Zindra.

The long awaited navigable sea channel that has been created between Sansara and Jeogoet is the only positive benefit from Bellisseria's creation in my  opinion.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Yes. I have visited the houseboats which don't even look like houseboats. They don't behave like houseboats either, they don't even FLOAT or MOVE like a real houseboat.

Clue is in the name. HOUSE. BOAT.  They are supposed to float and move on water.  LL, you have built pontoons and piers, not houseboats !

Seriously, is Bellisseria being designed by landlocked landlubbers who have never been to the sea?

You don't even have a house boat yet you're complaining. We that have one, love them, and there are a ton of people waiting for one. 

Don't get one then, who wants a negative Nelly for a neighbor anyways. 

Tosses happiness and sunshine at you, you need it.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Sansara is a historic, creative and much loved continent that doesn't deserve to have such a bland, prebuilt and soulless place like Bellisseria parked off its southern coast. They are polar opposites of each other.  I think Bellisseria should be entirely moved as far away from Sansara as possible, possibly somewhere between Gaeta and Zindra. Or back at the SSP location

You have to have your draw distance set insanely high to be able to see Bellisseria from Sansara, so this just all sounds like troll whining.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Lets compare Bellisseria and Sansara, as they are the youngest and oldest continents.

do you have the opportunity to read bout the Linden Homes a bit?.. you missed about ten years of discussion, planning and most important purpose .
The Linden Home continent is not meant to be a substitute or replacement, but a addition ... more like between Estate and Mainland ( not official ..but as example for the purpose.
And however i hate dislike the more or less forced community that tries to get born at the new continent... it's something the newer, and many older, residents want, the old days of anarchism and annoying freedom uppon your neighbours is slowly getting history

Edited by Fox Wijaya
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

9e1I19n.png

512M Draw distance. 

Yes, and just look at that "bland soulless prebuilt regimented corporate style gated community" that you can see, and that is obviously destroying any attempt at good living on Sansara.

• Haha 3

The streets are all perfectly straight and look identical and are built on a boring grid system. There are no landmarks, no shops, no sandboxes and no individual creativity. Welcome to your ready-made virtual world where you will never need to create anything! 

If this is what you think of Bellisseria residential areas, then I don't think you have visited it.  The streets are NOT perfectly straight, NOR identical, NOR built on a grid system.  There are community areas, parks, swimming pools and so forth in various areas (and not in a copy/paste fashion AT ALL).    

A lot of creativity inspired by the houses and houseboats.  Various add-ons (porches, car ports, extra living area, interior walls, swimming pools, pergolas, etc) have been created by multiple content creators and used by many - some with add-ons of their own, some creating their own unique add-ons, some modifying add-ons created by others.  The other area of creativity that has been inspired has been with landscaping.  The house all have ample room for each resident to create their own vision of outdoor space.  

Some residents have been inspired to use their residence or houseboat as a library, café, pub, community game center,  post office, an Airbnb, parcel delivery service, etc...  opened to the general public.  Very creative, I thought.   Some residents created a scheme and scripts allowing residents to create an 'address' for their home or houseboat and gave what they created out free to members of the two community groups (which are free for anyone to join).  

There are no sandboxes or shops, because it is a Linden Home area. 

Its placement between two continents with water regions connecting it to both continents was a step in the right direction for people involved with nautical or aviation activities (whether or not they have or plan to have a residence in Bellisseria).  People have been petitioning LL to connect the continents, and some felt that this was a start in acknowledging that request. 

Unlike the other mainland continents, ban lines are not allowed, there is a minimum height for where skyboxes can be placed,  and security orbs are required to leave a zone between 500 and 1600 meters for flying vehicles to pass over the parcel. 

So yes, it may not be for everyone. 

Edited by moirakathleen
removed an apostrophe that snuck in when I wasn't looking
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Been away for a while, so I've missed the updates.

Just logged into SL, looked at the map and seen the bunch of new "houseboats" (which don't float) "floating" off the east coast of Bellisseria. O.o

One question. WHY ON EARTH HAVE YOU PUT THEM ALL SPECIFICALLY THERE??!

Bellisseria looks so tacky, cheap and amateurish and because of its proximity, is affecting the look and feel of the historic Sansara continent in a very negative way. >:(

I confess that when I first saw the newest addition to Bellissaria on the map my thought was "parking lot?", but when I actually went over 'in person' I was pleased by how carefully almost every houseboat was situated and how sandbars were being used as part of the landscaping and I admired all the little touches that make each area unique. 

I also love how so many of the boats and houses are being customized, and I love the whole feeling of being in a community.

I have a small parcel on the Mainland which borders on navigatable water, but I can only sail so far without running into a place where land sellers have sold 'building spots' on water plots all the way out to the Void Ocean, so you can't get past. I have driven on Mainland roads, but I can only drive so far without running into a place where someone's ban lines are so close to the road that I've lost my vehicle. I've flown over Sansara, but even following the roads I can't get far before I am swatted out of the sky by someone's mis-set security orb.

Here in Bellissaria you can sail around the whole continent, and even over to the Mainland. You can fly almost everywhere (at the proper altitude) without being sent back home by someone's touchy orb. You can go down the roads without running into banlines or advertising spam.

Best of all, you can sit and enjoy the view without worrying about what might be built next door, because your neighbors are part of a community that mostly works together (when we're not arguing on the forums). 

Try it, you'll like it.

Let me add: I love exploring the Mainland. There are so many places to visit and things to do that I will never get tired of it, but at the end of the day it is nice to have a quiet place to call home.

Edited by RuffertasAlt
Second thoughts.
  • Like 12

4 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Been away for a while, so I've missed the updates.

Just logged into SL, looked at the map and seen the bunch of new "houseboats" (which don't float) "floating" off the east coast of Bellisseria. O.o

One question. WHY ON EARTH HAVE YOU PUT THEM ALL SPECIFICALLY THERE??!

Bellisseria looks so tacky, cheap and amateurish and because of its proximity, is affecting the look and feel of the historic Sansara continent in a very negative way. >:(

Sounds like a personal issue. It's what you get when you leave and don't bother coming to the meeting.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RuffertasAlt said:

I confess that when I first saw the newest addition to Bellissaria on the map my thought was "parking lot?", but when I actually went over 'in person' I was pleased by how carefully almost every houseboat was situated and how sandbars were being used as part of the landscaping and I admired all the little touches that make each area unique.

Like you, I wasn't sure about the new area until I got a space out there.  The sandbars are bigger than they look on the map, and have a lot of variation in terrain height and décor, and do a good job of making the area feel larger and less crowded.  

• Like 4

@moirakathleen @RuffertasAlt

I've visited and explored all of the public areas of Bellisseria, from above, on the ground through the streets, plains and over the hills and sea.  But I would never want to live there.

I find Bellisseria to be far too bland, samey, restrictive and strangely soulless. It doesn't "feel" like SL there. Most importantly, the continent completely goes against the original SL goal of "virtual world created by its users". 

Its sad that LL built and wasted resources to create this new continent while other existing LL continents remain unfinished, unconnected and abandoned. 

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

wasted resources to create this new continent while other existing LL continents remain unfinished, unconnected and abandoned. 

it's wasted because residents left... not because LL left...
it are also the residents that scared the residents off with their amazing building skills with privacy screens, skyscrapers and rental domes from 10 till 5000 meters up ....
Problem with reclaiming mainland for development is in my opinion the same residents... scattered allowver the mainland , LL simply can't push them off and reclaim sims to start over, without loosing a lot of them as customer.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

it's wasted because residents left... not because LL left...
it are also the residents that scared the residents off with their amazing building skills with privacy screens, skyscrapers and rental domes from 10 till 5000 meters up ....
Problem with reclaiming mainland for development is in my opinion the same residents... scattered allowver the mainland , LL simply can't push them off and reclaim sims to start over, without loosing a lot of them as customer.

Of course, but full regions do come up from time to time, so those could be flipped into homes.

Just now, CoffeeDujour said:

Of course, but full regions do come up from time to time, so those could be flipped into homes.

yes i agree, but it would be a proces of ages with just one at a time, but at the other side... only adding some more attractive landscaping would be a great start, and not need a lot of manpower.

One little suburban island here, one there .. I think it might have a bit of a knock on effect with people on neighboring regions for the most part, emulating the theme or at least integrating with it to a point. Obviously it's bordering actual mainland, so there will always be that one person who decides to live in a 80ft purple eggplant.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I find Bellisseria to be far too bland, samey, restrictive and strangely soulless. It doesn't "feel" like SL there.

Well, there are at least a bit over 3000 residents that think otherwise, plus the additional folks that are screaming at LL to release more homes quickly.

• Like 6