SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Poor Gaeta I, stuck up there all by itself and not even finished.

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

It looks so close to the other continents..... but just not quite connected (yet?) nor completed... It is rather sad up there.

There we go, proof that Gaeta 1 is Edward Scissorhands.

11413209_805582226206975_656125505_n-L.gif

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Is it just my eyesight, or does it seem that there are more log homes than any other type, judging by land mass...? I'm still hoping for more Stilts on Piers with open views(there are not enough in my opinion and judging by demand) in case I want to move in the future lol. But they haven't finished building yet, so there could be more coming:)

Maybe they felt they needed to build a lot of Log Homes because the water level on that subcontinent is higher, and they're not planning to make more of that? Done to avoid the usual waterline graphics glitch?  Of course, there are also a few Log Homes at lower elevations on the LogLand coast, but not many.

They've got a lot of stilts in the pipeline, ready for release soon™!  Everything in aqua ... and they may have more along that northern coast of Logland, once they finish it.  It'll be interesting to see what that missing block of regions will be.

Oh, and, it feels SOOOO nice to be able to see geography again!  Hooray for the map!

1692010584_unreleasedstilts.thumb.JPG.b65ee6d2eb8edcbcf69004082c769c7c.JPG

• Like 6

Just saw something interesting on a giant noticeboard at Bellisseria Fairgrounds. It was showing an album flickbook of photos from Bellisseria's first two years which was nice, but what caught my attention was something planned for the future.  Apparently there are to be a new themed region of apartment towerblocks.... or was that a wind-up (joke) ?!

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@LittleMe Jewell@Aethelwine@Fritigern Gothly

I've had a quick look at Gaeta I continent and worked out it would only need a maximum of 13 new regions to link it to Corsica's coast.

A new Gaeta I channel would be shortest between the south side of Oppinjay (on Gaeta I) and the north side of  Joosten (on Corsica).

Gaeta I channel.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I've had a quick look at Gaeta I continent and worked out it would only need a maximum of 13 new regions to link it to Corsica's coast.

A new Gaeta I channel would be shortest between the south side of Oppinjay (on Gaeta I) and the north side of  Joosten (on Corsica).

Gaeta I channel.png

In my ideal (virtual) world, the LDPW would finish Gaeta and have its land mass extend down, then add a small sea bridge like it was done between Corsica and Nautilus, or between Corsica and Gaeta V.

I highly doubt that LL will add more "classic" mainland, considering how much of it is vacant at the moment, but I can dream :D 

• Like 3

@Patch Linden & @Abnor Mole -- see above post by SarahKB7.  Only 13 regions needed to connect Gaeta I with Corsica.

Poor Gaeta I has been neglected for so long.  While it will still be an unfinished funny looking continent, it would at least feel like it belonged to the rest of the Mainland.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Since the map started working again I have been staring at the very obvious, currently unfinished route (in red) from the Belliseria fairgrounds to the south of Satori and what piqued my interest is that the route leads past the area which we now call "the log homes" even though there are also Victorians and trailers there.
So I penciled in my imagined addition (in bright green) to Belliseria where the next, yet-to-be-revealed theme would be located (I hope it will be floating islands, as I had suggested to LL 🙂 ).
The reason why this makes sense to me is because this will add a north bank to the river which logically will be extended past the log homes. Plus this new theme has to be put somewhere and this location would be a good spot. It would require the moving of a few private regions, but that has been done before.

image.thumb.png.b7a1553b1422a4bdce921649ef30ca37.png

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Since it's not currently connected to anything, would it be less costly and provide better connectivity to simply move it?

IIRC, all saved landmarks could be made to still work, can't they?  Anything actually depending on grid position would break ... I suppose someone could have a ferry or custom teleport system dependent on grid coordinates, but ... I've never encountered one.

Someone who's owned an estate would have a more informed take on this. *bows out*

• Like 3

R.PNG.e935a388bc9768e8a30ae73ee408d103.PNG

Great news that inworld map tiles have been fixed at long last. At least now everyone can have a great adventure around Bellisseria. The wait now is to find out about the next LH theme which is due to be announced after SL18B. 

It's fantastic we can see the work that has been done over the past six months. Yay! :)

New.thumb.PNG.29bc176b4af581e61015faf9537906b0.PNG

The east coast of the log homes continent looks amazing now.  

1881920008_New1.thumb.PNG.d9600c7c9b7924841ec0818421a616b9.PNG

Now that the map has been updated here are the latest SSP changes where the Moles/Lindens work at.

SSPAMB

SSPAMB.PNG.3ae926d3bc19e8b47ff22ff4945a696b.PNG

The Purple / Green SSP Regions

51345483_SSPGreen.thumb.PNG.54678f56cd036b3fed8995e35bbc4b2e.PNG

SP9.thumb.PNG.804c54aeaf56d5c90a9362bb7f4e249f.PNG

QA Vault 

image.png.bf920abb665711380e41b19ea30e723a.png

Edited by Daniel Voyager
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Since it's not currently connected to anything, would it be less costly and provide better connectivity to simply move it?

IIRC, all saved landmarks could be made to still work, can't they?  Anything actually depending on grid position would break ... I suppose someone could have a ferry or custom teleport system dependent on grid coordinates, but ... I've never encountered one.

Someone who's owned an estate would have a more informed take on this. *bows out*

In a recent group chat Patch pointed out that moving a region will not break landmarks, but that LL could disable them if there was a need to do so.

Like you Nika, I was always under the impression that LMs were based upon grid location, but Patch pointed out that it was tied to the region itself, and not the region’s location on the grid.

Looking at the SL Wiki it seems that the old grid location LM was replaced with the region location LM. It’s comforting to know that we used to be right, we just never got the memo when the system was changed ;) 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Landmarks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Landmarks work from region names, not from their map position. Easily demonstrated with the "login to region" feature in your viewer's main login page. 

A "dead landmark" from a long-deleted region does become usable again after a brand new region with the exact same name is created.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Landmarks work from region names, not from their map position. Easily demonstrated with the "login to region" feature in your viewer's main login page. 

A "dead landmark" from a long-deleted region does become usable again after a brand new region with the exact same name is created.

Landmarks work from RegionID which I’d say is probably more of an inherent factor rather than a region name which is more cosmetic. If you were to “login to region” you will go to the region with that name on the map on that day. If you were to do the same some time later when perhaps the region name is changed from the original and then reused on another region, you will go to the region you specify that has that name on that day, just the same as if you were to do a search on the map. Landmarks are different.

• Thanks 1

What you all are saying about LMs may all be true, but I have noticed that when a region gets moved, existing LMs to that region will stop working for a few hours. I have noticed this with at least two regions which are the home to a store that I wanted to TP to, but which were moved to make room for Belliseria.

So I think that the LM/teleport system maintains database of grid coordinates for named regions (pretty much how a DNS server works on the internet or a local network), then when a teleport request is made, the region name is matched to the grid coordinates and the agent gets transported to these coordinates (not to the region name). 
Now, when a region gets moved to a different grid position it takes a while before the coordinates get updated in the database, again, just like it takes a while for a DNS server to get updated with a new URL for a website.

So moving a region does not really break LMs, but in my experience it does temporarily make them work correctly.

Note that teleporting people TO the region still worked, probably because it's basically one viewer telling the other "come to grid coordinates so-and-so" which, to continue the DNS analogy, would be like surfing to a website's IP address instead of to the URL of the website and thus circumventing the DNS server.

• Thanks 2

• Moles

According to the wiki

Landmarks are inventory assets that contain precise locations in Second Life. Their main purpose is to enable teleportation to that location from somewhere else. Landmarks are stored, by default, in the Landmarks folder in My Inventory. Landmarks may be given to others, stored in notecards and in any field used for teleportation. There are two versions of landmarks, one of which is obsolete but still functional. The previous version stored a location in the form of a global position. Version 2 stores the local position and the RegionID of the region in question.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Landmarks

• Thanks 8

On 4/18/2021 at 1:01 AM, Daniel Voyager said:

Now that the map has been updated here are the latest SSP changes where the Moles/Lindens work at.

(snip)

SSPAMB

SSPAMB.PNG.3ae926d3bc19e8b47ff22ff4945a696b.PNG

(snip)

QA Vault 

image.png.bf920abb665711380e41b19ea30e723a.png

Oh, *now* I know what MB means.

"QA Vault" is a name almost artistic in its plainness.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 4:13 AM, Nika Talaj said:

would it be less costly and provide better connectivity to simply move it?

I agree. (Afer all, moving whole continents around the grid is the main subject of this thread!)

There's a problem, though, which is: Connect the unfinished east edge of Gaeta I to what? Most unfinished landmasses have developped west coasts and cutoff edges on their east side: The old LH continents, Zindra, and even Sansara are like that. So no chance of adjoining two of those unfinished continents back to back.

Edited by 4lice Cerise
typo

58 minutes ago, 4lice Cerise said:

I agree. (Afer all, moving whole continents around the grid is the main subject of this thread!)

There's a a problem, though, which is: Connect the unfinished east edge of Gaeta I to what? Most unfinished landmasses have developped west coasts and cutoff edges on their east side: The old LH continents, Zindra, and even Sansara are like that. So no chance of adjoining two of those unfinished continents back to back.

Unless you sink some overnight. 

*hides a device from Acme*

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Haha 5

• Administrators

Moving a continent is easy enough, it is the map and location disruption that it will cause which would be a challenge to handle.  Even in our best efforts and planning, along with lots of notification, there will be people who will not know it has happened until it has.  The deluge of support requests that would result could be significant as the map sorts itself back out along with all of the confusion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8