Should ban lists be visible?

OscarSand

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I say this is after a relationship breakdown this week, myself and my alt are now on my ex partners ban list. As this is a public region, anyone entering her region will see my name and my alt together on this list.  To me, this is a form of disclosure as noone else is on it.
I often wondered why the access and ban lists are open for anyone on the region to view like this. IMO those lists should really only be viewable by the land owner.

Wish I was able to create a poll on this matter. I'm interested to know what other peoples feelings are towards this.

• Sad 2

Most people don't bother to check the ban list for places they go to and if we do, we're looking for a specific name. How would anyone know that one is your alt? Just because you appear on the same list and there's two people on it means nothing. Lots of people had one name on the list just to ensure privacy worked at one point. I don't know why it needs to be public either, or the access list, but it is and it isn't likely to change. I don't see it as a big deal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OscarSand said:

As this is a public region, anyone entering her region

be clear.. is it public or owned by her?.. or is it just a parcel ? Open access doesn't mean public .. 

If it's a private region i have a tip for her.. put the banned persons on the region banlist, that's invisible for anyone except regionmanagers and owner. ( also not the banned ones)

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A ban list has no information whatsoever outside of the listing of avatar IDs/names. No one looking at the list will know who is or is not an alt of anyone else on the list.

The only way(s) for a user to get that particular bit of information (and have it be accurate) is to ask someone who actually knows that information directly (more or less accurate) or to work directly for Linden Lab (meaning they have tools to enhance said accuracy - even Linden Lab cannot tell beyond user accounts sharing a machine or network, perhaps even sharing payment information).

So no, no disclosure is occurring - even if you feel it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OscarSand said:

I say this is after a relationship breakdown this week, myself and my alt are now on my ex partners ban list. As this is a public region, anyone entering her region will see my name and my alt together on this list.  To me, this is a form of disclosure as noone else is on it.
I often wondered why the access and ban lists are open for anyone on the region to view like this. IMO those lists should really only be viewable by the land owner.

Wish I was able to create a poll on this matter. I'm interested to know what other peoples feelings are towards this.

I agree...I don't think they should be visible. I doubt this will ever change though.

Just remember...it looks huge to you and is a statement that your relationship didn't work out, but likely nobody else will ever notice it.  Most don't go looking for such things on other sims.

• Like 4

While I sympathise, I can't think in almost three years in world almost daily, that I have more than one or two times ever looked at a parcel's banned list of users. And one of those was a test of banning my own male alt to see if it worked right. I don't disagree it should not be visible but I don't see it changing and it's not at all a big deal. Really no one ever looks at those lists.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 6

After a good sleep and a good shower and a good meal, it would be interesting to ask oneself if the problem is still the problem one thought it was at the time.  In other words, is the problem as hot the next day as it is at the moment. 

Some problems really keep their heat into the next day and you realize you need to mobilize and do things to stop it.  But thankfully some problems really do lose their heat the next day, and you might find (hopefully) that you're not that bothered by this one. 

Because honestly no, two names on a ban list is not a disclosure of anything other than both avatars being banned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SL is a drama driven platform, so yes..... ban list should be public.  😎

But my real answer is: Ban list content should only be available to the land owner and estate managers.
Even in SL there is a right of some privacy IMHO. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, OscarSand said:

I've been on many a banned list and can't say it has ever bothered me over much. I fell out with the owner of a store simply because she had a rule that no chat was allowed in group chat, it was just for her to hand out group notices. Unfortunately I was one of half a dozen who decided to have a conversation on a particular day, and there was no reasoning with her, she chucked us all out of the group and not only banned us from her main store sim, but any land that had an offshoot of her store - and there were about 150 I think at the time - were also instructed to ban us. 

Generally speaking, I have found that land owners with very long banned lists are usually the problem, rather than those who are on the list. But it's their land and their rules.

• Like 3

I think it's good to have them visible to those on them and those who put them on them (those with control access to the land) - but see no reason why anyone else needs to know.

That said, switching to ban-lines. Back when banlines used to break vehicles I felt anyone inside a parcel with non-specific banlines on should see the lines regardless of their settings. ;)

Since banlines no longer do that... I'm less hostile to them now.

I'm more partial to thinking that anyone inside a plot with a security orb should get a message every scan of the orb that "ain't no one been ejected this pass." or "OMG, we got one boyz!" situation depending - not disablable or mutable. :D
- The second message preferably voiced by WoW's Asmongold at max volume if you have any sounds enabled. ;)

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

I think it's good to have them visible to those on them and those who put them on them (those with control access to the land) - but see no reason why anyone else needs to know.

That said, switching to ban-lines. Back when banlines used to break vehicles I felt anyone inside a parcel with non-specific banlines on should see the lines regardless of their settings. ;)

Since banlines no longer do that... I'm less hostile to them now.

I'm more partial to thinking that anyone inside a plot with a security orb should get a message every scan of the orb that "ain't no one been ejected this pass." or "OMG, we got one boyz!" situation depending - not disablable or mutable. :D
- The second message preferably voiced by WoW's Asmongold at max volume if you have any sounds enabled. ;)

Totally OFF TOPIC . We don't need another thread about banlines but if you must, create your own thread on the topic.

• Haha 1

I think the only time I ever bothered to check a ban list was when an avatar had been repeatedly harassing me at a place I would frequently visit, and after contacting one of the owners, I had checked to see if he'd been banned to know if he could come back and harass me (he had been), otherwise I don't ever give checking that a thought.

In principle I think it should be the land owners choice whether or not to disclose who they have banned or why.

People do things they regret all the time and sometimes it really is for the best that it stays between them and the land owner, rather than making the problem bigger than it needs to be.

In practise it happens so rarely and people check banlists so rarely on the whole that whilst I think it probably ought not to share that info with guests, it's not exactly a show stopper issue either.

Heck there's a certain delight in knowing how much it bothers someone.

Especially when you have only banned one specific person flying over your land within range of your sky box constantly and ignores you when you ask them to stop .

Result, the careful ones pass right on by, while the one awkward person suddenly finds their voyage torpedoed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.