Some people don't deserve to be responded to but I will just say. We all have some place we go to. Or maybe some song or activity we do. Something as a means. Not to get away. We say this day and age? I wonder. When's this day and age? Some day. Maybe not our life time. Not even our children's lifetime. But some day. Til then, when I hear your words, I only hear my song.

• Like 1

My bathroom flooring has been replaced, and a very nice job they made of it.  I'm only peeved that the bathroom now stinks of glue.

This is a really trivial posting designed to help shove nasty spam postings off the page.

They've gone already!  Yay!

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Added text.
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

My bathroom flooring has been replaced, and a very nice job they made of it.  I'm only peeved that the bathroom now stinks of glue.

This is a really trivial posting designed to help shove nasty spam postings off the page.

They've gone already!  Yay!

Eat a can of beans. Takes care of the glue smell issue. My man did that when we had the washroom floor redone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Eating animations are my latest pet peeve. I was browsing the MP and came across a dining room table from a well known creator, so I thought I'd go check it out inworld, and it's a nice table, but the eating animations have me sticking my fork into my cheek and if drinking, it also goes into my cheek, making for a very messy drink. Why don't creators check to make sure the animations line up??? Ruins the whole immersion if the food and drink don't go into your mouth. Frosts my cake when this happens.

• Like 3

Another one I saw recently is something called beYou in world.  People walking around with these numbers above their heads --- much like you see on those breedables.  Someone PMed me saying it makes your avi more like the Sim's game --- where you need to feed it, bathe it, etc. I came over to SL from the Sims to get away from that stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Another one I saw recently is something called beYou in world.  People walking around with these numbers above their heads --- much like you see on those breedables.  Someone PMed me saying it makes your avi more like the Sim's game --- where you need to feed it, bathe it, etc. I came over to SL from the Sims to get away from that stuff.

I don’t play BeYou but it’s my understanding that you don’t have to take part in it unless you want to participate in the community.
Some people enjoy it as you can have jobs, goals and have to eat, drink etc. 
It gives some people a purpose and something else to do in SL than mindlessly wander around hopping from place to place.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Annie Nova said:

Eating animations are my latest pet peeve. I was browsing the MP and came across a dining room table from a well known creator, so I thought I'd go check it out inworld, and it's a nice table, but the eating animations have me sticking my fork into my cheek and if drinking, it also goes into my cheek, making for a very messy drink. Why don't creators check to make sure the animations line up??? Ruins the whole immersion if the food and drink don't go into your mouth. Frosts my cake when this happens.

I’m chuckling here because I have exactly the same problem 😂 a serious eating and drinking issue I have 😂

My drink gets poured over my head, eating anything but a granola bar is a serious challenge. Forks into my boobs and all that 😂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Annie Nova said:

[...] it's a nice table, but the eating animations have me sticking my fork into my cheek and if drinking, it also goes into my cheek, making for a very messy drink. Why don't creators check to make sure the animations line up??? Ruins the whole immersion if the food and drink don't go into your mouth. Frosts my cake when this happens.

There's no way to create an animation that will fit all avatars in Second Life.

Animations are made out of a series of 'frames', each frame containing information about the rotation of each of your skeleton's bones. But there's a very important something that modifies your individual avatar's bones' scales; your shape.

If you have, say, your shoulder width slider at 40, but the animator's model had 50, the animation to put your fork in your mouth becomes misaligned and you'll end up putting the fork through your cheek instead. If your arm length is at 70, but the animator's was 30, your hand won't get anywhere near your mouth.

It's the same with all animations, whether still poses (which are just a single frame played on a loop) or a full animation. That's why when you go to the pose store and try a pose wherein the advert suggests your hand should end up on your hip, but it instead ends up halfway through your thigh; it's because the model's shape is different, and/or uses a different body. It's one of the reasons I gave up on the idea of selling poses - my avies are pretty lithe, so my poses wouldn't work at all on people who use balloon animals as the template for their proportions. Some try to solve this by including a curvy version of the pose. Which suffers the exact same problems as the default pose did.

Considering how many avatars on the grid don't have the arm length required to wipe their own butts, there's no mystery as to how the vast majority of animations around won't work for any given avatar. Same thing applies to why doors come with the door knob 170 centimetres over the floor (which is actually higher than both my female avies' height). It's why many 'regular' sized beds are 3.5 metres long and are double king size (I could put Mina and Neph on a bed I had, pose them laying flat and straight, and put them along the length of the bed - and there was room to spare! Meanwhile in RL, if I stretch laying flat on my bed, I have my head pushing into the wall and my feet pushing into the side of my wardrobe; I have to sleep either curled up slightly or with my feet hanging off the side). 

So yes - most creators do check their animations thoroughly in-world, they just use a different yard stick than you do to do so (and also 'most creators' who sell furniture don't actually make animations but buy them full-perm from animators; it's why, if you shop for a sofa, and visit 10 different stores and try 5 sofas in each, you're likely to find the same animations in about 45 different menus). 

Still. It peeves me too.

food-fail.gif

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Orwar said:

There's no way to create an animation that will fit all avatars in Second Life.

Animations are made out of a series of 'frames', each frame containing information about the rotation of each of your skeleton's bones. But there's a very important something that modifies your individual avatar's bones' scales; your shape.

If you have, say, your shoulder width slider at 40, but the animator's model had 50, the animation to put your fork in your mouth becomes misaligned and you'll end up putting the fork through your cheek instead. If your arm length is at 70, but the animator's was 30, your hand won't get anywhere near your mouth.

It's the same with all animations, whether still poses (which are just a single frame played on a loop) or a full animation. That's why when you go to the pose store and try a pose wherein the advert suggests your hand should end up on your hip, but it instead ends up halfway through your thigh; it's because the model's shape is different, and/or uses a different body. It's one of the reasons I gave up on the idea of selling poses - my avies are pretty lithe, so my poses wouldn't work at all on people who use balloon animals as the template for their proportions. Some try to solve this by including a curvy version of the pose. Which suffers the exact same problems as the default pose did.

Considering how many avatars on the grid don't have the arm length required to wipe their own butts, there's no mystery as to how the vast majority of animations around won't work for any given avatar. Same thing applies to why doors come with the door knob 170 centimetres over the floor (which is actually higher than both my female avies' height). It's why many 'regular' sized beds are 3.5 metres long and are double king size (I could put Mina and Neph on a bed I had, pose them laying flat and straight, and put them along the length of the bed - and there was room to spare! Meanwhile in RL, if I stretch laying flat on my bed, I have my head pushing into the wall and my feet pushing into the side of my wardrobe; I have to sleep either curled up slightly or with my feet hanging off the side). 

So yes - most creators do check their animations thoroughly in-world, they just use a different yard stick than you do to do so (and also 'most creators' who sell furniture don't actually make animations but buy them full-perm from animators; it's why, if you shop for a sofa, and visit 10 different stores and try 5 sofas in each, you're likely to find the same animations in about 45 different menus). 

Still. It peeves me too.

food-fail.gif

I figured that how it worked and you're right about the arm lengths of some people. it's funny as heck to see the tyrannosaurus arms on some people, not to mention the small head, huge body that some people also prefer, but that's a completely different peeve lol. I guess I'll just have to maybe try to move the fork or the glass and see if that works, if not then I'll just deal with punch holes in my cheek or drink dribbles on my clothes LOL. 

• Like 2

I actually found one creator who included an adjustment system for precise positioning of the hand relative to the mouth. It is a smoking system by @Sindi Sandscalled "The Ultimate Smoker v2". I find the system to be user-unfriendly for other reasons...but the position adjusting system is fantastic, and I wish other creators included something similar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I actually found one creator who included an adjustment system for precise positioning of the hand relative to the mouth. It is a smoking system by @Sindi Sandscalled "The Ultimate Smoker v2". I find the system to be user-unfriendly for other reasons...but the position adjusting system is fantastic, and I wish other creators included something similar.

That would be great is they did, it always looks like I'm drunk whenever I eat or drink! lol

It's a real life peeve, but would apply just as much if it happened inside Second Life.

Why do people send Happy Birthday (or Christmas) greetings cards, but either write on the inner side of the card or enclose a separate letter with all the teeny tiny miserable details of what's going on in their life?

Do they not really wish someone a Happy Birthday (or Christmas)? Yes, it seems that way.

Effing energy vampires can eat my sh1t!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Road kits.

There's no such thing as the perfect one. Either the pieces don't fit, or it didn't come with a piece you'd need (why would you not include a 90 degree turn?!). So you get an alpha kit instead, and .. The textures for the pieces are alpha'd on all 4 sides so you can't repeat the pattern but have to put multiple pieces together, and overlap them, which means you've got to offset them slightly to avoid the textures clashing on the same plane. Also then you can't use the alignment tool and end up having to eyeball it, which (almost) completely removes the point of using a modular kit to begin with. 

Very nearly set out to make my own kit. But then I stopped, as I remembered that I'm a lazy person. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

...enclose a separate letter with all the teeny tiny miserable details of what's going on in their life?

I do this at Christmas. I enjoy getting such "annual update letters" from friends I haven't seen in many years, and I have received plenty of feedback that people enjoy mine. Of course, I do try to keep it upbeat!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

It's a real life peeve, but would apply just as much if it happened inside Second Life.

Why do people send Happy Birthday (or Christmas) greetings cards, but either write on the inner side of the card or enclose a separate letter with all the teeny tiny miserable details of what's going on in their life?

Do they not really wish someone a Happy Birthday (or Christmas)? Yes, it seems that way.

Effing energy vampires can eat my sh1t!

I rarely get Christmas cards, it’s always WhatsApp or Instagram wishes 🥲 the only people sending me Christmas cards are two older neighbours and my dad 🥲

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

I rarely get Christmas cards, it’s always WhatsApp or Instagram wishes 🥲 the only people sending me Christmas cards are two older neighbours and my dad 🥲

I didn't do any Christmas cards this year, but I calligraphed the labels on my gifts. One of my brothers hesitated to rip it open for a brief moment because he thought the text was so pretty. But I think the handmade journal inside made him forget about it, heh. 

Anyway, today's pet peeve: you still can't circumnavigate Belliseria properly. The chalet and stilt home regions are disconnected from the seas around the Faire ground (and the southern route around the log home area is barely navigable). Would have sailed down from my home to the event today if I could, but nope. Guess I'm arriving by helicopter! Or maybe train .. Hm, the event's start point is at a train station .. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

I didn't do any Christmas cards this year, but I calligraphed the labels on my gifts. One of my brothers hesitated to rip it open for a brief moment because he thought the text was so pretty. But I think the handmade journal inside made him forget about it, heh. 

You read my mind, I didn’t have time to edit earlier but I wanted to add how much I love their cursive script, it really makes me smile and wonder why cards aren’t a thing anymore. Opening a card written in a beautiful calligraphed script is such a pleasure… my two girls love writing and put so much effort in their handwriting. I try to encourage them to write letters, cards anything to their grandparents and friends. I hate getting those forwarded “merry Christmas/happy new year” videos, they mean absolutely nothing to me. At least I wish people put a bit of effort into writing a personal message! I guess this should be my peeve of the day 😊

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

I hate getting those forwarded “merry Christmas/happy new year” videos, they mean absolutely nothing to me.

The Swedish(-Danish) post service tried to stay relevant but convenient by offering a service wherein you can order postcards online, that you can fill in what the text should be, that will be printed and sent on demand. My aunt sent me one the other year .. Printed cursive looks pretty bad, and they'd printed it in such a way that parts of the text was cut off - I was not too impressed (but it was an improvement to being pinged in a FB post, at least!).

I would like to send more letters and cards, I'm totally not a fan of trying to keep up with every person on every contact list on every social media platform I happen to be on. Alas, in order to recoup some of their pecuniary issues, the post service decided to increase the postage by 50% a few years back. Which only meant people thought it too expensive and went even further towards electronic communications. They then claimed that it was 'on purpose' because 'environment issues'. 

But it's also the company that, after constantly being critiqued for their utter incompetence, made a response video on their website to answer 'how does my mail disappear' .. And the video just depicts a farmer who says how important it is that he gets the mail from various authorities and veterinarians to run his business; the video ends with him asking 'so how can my mail disappear?'. And then the video ends. They never actually answered the question.

Peeve: the Swedish-Danish post service. Especially the Danish half (which are the ones going deep in the red, the Swedish half actually still is profitable - but not enough to carry the Danes).

• Like 1