Impulsive behavior

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Has anyone realized that they had any sort of impulsive behavior within Second Life? I think I had one where I was in fear of missing out on some special deal or the latest fashion which drove me to visit shopping events constantly. I stopped for a while, by playing Cyberpunk 2077, and now I don't feel the need to visit all events every month.

Do you have this type of behavior? Or something similar? Maybe you don't even know?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Has anyone realized that they had any sort of impulsive behavior within Second Life? I think I had one where I was in fear of missing out on some special deal or the latest fashion which drove me to visit shopping events constantly. I stopped for a while, by playing Cyberpunk 2077, and now I don't feel the need to visit all events every month.

Do you have this type of behavior? Or something similar? Maybe you don't even know?

Definitely guilty on the shopping front. My New Years resolution was to not spend as much on SL this year and try to mostly hit up the quarterlies or semis instead of the monthlies to get my fix. So far I’m doing better than last year but still probably spending more than I should. Baby steps lol. Rather than cold turkey.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

Totally have this. Been too many times over the years I intended to only go inworld for a few minutes and wound up staying for hours :(

• Like 2

I think SL inadvertently encourages impulsive behavior just by the very nature of how easy it is to do stuff. 

What to go somewhere? - teleport there. What to buy something? - push a button. Don't like you clothes, hair, body shape, etc.? - change it. Feeling horny? - There are plenty of adult locations with other horny people for quick, no-strings, no consequences, anonymous simulated sex.  Feeling annoyed by someone? - TP away from them & uncheck their ability to see you're online so you can pretend you crashed. Feeling guilty about the virtual hook-up you just had? - unfriend them & move on. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 5

I used to have that long ago.. But that whole exclusive thing or limited supply never really grabbed me at all..

I'm really picky more than ever on what i buy. If I have to pay 4k for a tank and panties, you can bet I'm done looking at there stuff from now on no matter how well it's made, exclusive,one time offer,red light special or whatever string they are trying to get me to tug on..

I go to the events, but it's more just to walk around and do some in world moving around, see some avatars.. mostly when I'm bored or feel like shopping and trying out different stores..

Events are a really good place to get some landmarks and see some creators I might not know about, because good luck with that using the in world search.. hehehe

I'll grab a bunch of demoes at events and take them home , then decide if it's worth the effort to tp back.. I never buy until I've tried something on in my place..

If it's a 5 minute demo, well lets hope they don't run out of time before I'm done checking it out, because it'll go right in the trash.. I'm not going to get another one. lol

Yea, I don't get tempted anywhere near like I used to.. All someone had to say before was ,sale and I was gone like a batman vanishing trick.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 6

Every once in a while, I decide that I need an image upgrade so I go shopping for new hair or shoes, or whatever.  I'm not an enthusiastic shopper, so I'm not easily distracted if some shiny pops up that I wasn't looking for.  I find hair that satisfies my shopping urge and I go home. If I don't find anything, well .... I have way too much stuff already, so I can usually get my thrills of discovery by going inventory diving instead of buying more stuff.

The only time that I break that pattern is when I'm shopping for landscaping stuff.  I may start out looking for a tall maple tree and come back with a couple of pine trees, a holly bush, and a garden hose.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

YES! Not only IN second life, but at the forums as well.  I tend to type and answer whatever comes to mind with very few filters, and very often it comes out as rude.  But I am aware of this, so I re-read most of what I type, and I end up deleting.... like 75% of what type, with the reasoning of "I dont need to engage with this and they dont need to read this either.", and I replace the thing with a smiley face or a forum reaction.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, StarlanderGoods said:

YES! Not only IN second life, but at the forums as well.  I tend to type and answer whatever comes to mind with very few filters, and very often it comes out as rude.  But I am aware of this, so I re-read most of what I type, and I end up deleting.... like 75% of what type, with the reasoning of "I dont need to engage with this and they dont need to read this either.", and I replace the thing with a smiley face or a forum reaction.

I take the "no-filter" approach, moderated by other's responses, and by..moderators.  Slowly learning how to stay out of trouble while still having fun.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

When you know you have impulsive behavior, sleep on it and wait at least one day before buying something.

If it's on MP, add the item to your favorites list or even your wish list. 

When you look at it again later on, your mood has changed, and it may not look as good or be as appealing as at first. I usually leave things on there for at least a couple of days and look at different times of day. If it still has the same appeal the fourth or fifth time I look/examine the item/demo, then I go through with the purchase. If at any point it loses its appeal, I usually don't buy.

Of course, if it is something I have been looking for, for some time, or something I definitely want or need for a project, obviously I don't go through this process unless I find more than one item and need to decide between them.

The only problem is you have to keep up with removing things. If you do that as soon as you make a purchase or decide not to, then it's not that bad.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Every once in a while, I decide that I need an image upgrade so I go shopping for new hair or shoes, or whatever.

Me too! But it doesn't stop there.

• New hair! Check. Hmm, I'd look better in that hair if I had shinier lips.
  • New lipgloss collection. Check. New eyeshadow would make that pop.
  • New eyeshadow palette. Check. Oh, I need nails to go with that!
  • New manicure. Check. That looks hot. But you're a little underdeveloped, don't you think?
  • Edit new shape. Oh fine...but everyone's wearing that new body that's even sexier.
  • New mesh body, check. Dang it, all my clothes are for my old body.
  • New dresses, pants outfits, lingerie, gowns, bathing suits...
  • Wouldn't some new shoes look cute with those?
  • Sigh. New shoes, check. It always comes down to the shoes.
  • Eeek! How could I forget jewelry! And my AO is soooo dated. My dance collection needs work.....
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

If it's on MP, add the item to your favorites list or even your wish list. 

When you look at it again later on, your mood has changed, and it may not look as good or be as appealing as at first. I usually leave things on there for at least a couple of days and look at different times of day. If it still has the same appeal the fourth or fifth time I look/examine the item/demo, then I go through with the purchase. If at any point it loses its appeal, I usually don't buy.

Of course, if it is something I have been looking for, for some time, or something I definitely want or need for a project, obviously I don't go through this process unless I find more than one item and need to decide between them.

The only problem is you have to keep up with removing things. If you do that as soon as you make a purchase or decide not to, then it's not that bad.

I'll do this but I add the things to my cart. That way I see how much $L I am accumulating. Once I get 10 items in I'll go remove stuff that I have decided is not worth it. I take a lot of stuff out. If I think I "might" want it in the future that is when I will add it to my favorites.  If I want to buy a one off item I'll use the "buy now" and leave the other stuff in my cart.

• Like 2

No, I can't say I've ever been tempted to visit all the monthly events. I wouldn't say that's willpower though... I just find them rather unfun. I prefer the big themed events that don't happen so often, because there's more to see than shopping. It helps that I've never had a lot of money, so I've always had to make decisions about what thing I want the most.

• Like 5

On 6/1/2022 at 4:02 AM, Bree Giffen said:

I stopped for a while, by playing Cyberpunk 2077, and now I don't feel the need ....

I tried that but with Classic Doom ( Ok, it' s Project Brutality actually ) instead, yet I noticed my chainsaw in SL runs out of gasoline more quickly when engaging wall-clinging imps flinging things at me ... :|

sample-6fe93577d47e7aa9d488db720f6636e4.thumb.jpg.a62d07c826863d11729d4d7a23d5f837.jpg

Edited by Solo Alpha
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been influenced into doing the monthlies. I do like walking around though like real shopping. And I'm picky so don't spend too much. I also scope MP and bang things in my favourites as a pending drawer, like already mentioned above. That works well. But my danger zone is when I just reloaded, and get a spending frenzy.

Sometimes it just has to be.

• Like 2

I have noticed, that when my L$ account gets over the 6,000 L$ mark (the number I need for my land each month) I start to spend more careless.
Whenever Sid gets over that mark (due to sales) I put the extra money in my bank account alt.
As a merchant it is good to have a little stash of L$ for tier in the slow months  and to buy business resources if needed.

And damn that bank account lady is hard to convince to send some L$ back. ;)
That keeps me from spending on things that I really don't need, like the 30th pair of jeans, the 10th pair of sneakers or that nice shirt set that I probably only will wear once after purchase, etc.

Edited by Sid Nagy
English is hard, English before coffee even harder.
  • Like 1

I think you are confusing "impulsive" with "compulsive"

"Impulsive" implies that something is done on the spur of the moment,, with no preparation or planning.

"Compulsive" means that there is something you feel a need to do and therefor plan and prepare to do accomplish said objective.  Saturday Sales, for example.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:20 PM, Paul Hexem said:

I impulse buy for myself and other people in SL, yeah. Mostly other people, since I'm male and there's not a lot of stuff for men.

It's nice to be able to do it, since I'm generally the opposite in RL.

As someone who gets hauled around far too many shopping events (and not even close to the bulk of them), there's tons of stuff for guys! Time to expand the ole comfort zone a little.

Edited by Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.