Why SL is been left out of the current metaverse hype?

Oct Oyen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, animats said:

Playing "Convenience Store Employee, The Game"? At least give them something fun.

You never played/seen the Job Simulator VR games?

They're not serious "simulators". They're comedic stereotypic takes on certain jobs.

I recommend watching Markiplier's play of them.

1 hour ago, Anna Nova said:

I have really good idea which will push SL to the top of the Metaverse pile.

Premium Minus, everything that you get with a free account, except legs.

and for a little bit less, automatic TP home if you stray into an Adult region.

orrrr! Linden can create a new region category. General, Moderate, Adult and Legless. Then go viral on Facebook. Will easy get at least a billion new signups in like only 2 days. Probably 3 billion if get some free face goggles attached to your starter legless avatar

😸

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I do have a personal 🤮book account. (private).
I haven't logged into it since Yuckerburg announced Meta-plop.
I may be one tiny voice in the wilderness but hey, they're goin 👇 I tells ya.🥊
Nothing annoys me more than Ill gotten gains from spoilt loafers.
I also have business accounts on socials.
The goal has always been to bleed them all dry without paying a single cent in advertising fees.
Soon I'll be able to concentrate on this task %1000.
😝

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Here is some Metaverse hype for you:

Meta's value (the company's stock) has dropped something like 25% just in the last day.  Apparently that drop was mostly because the company has "lost 3.3 BILLION trying to make its 'metaverse' ambitions a reality."

Yes but seems a lot of that was for investments into the metaverse hardware and hiring of quite a few staff. Not sure at this point if I consider that to be a bad thing overall.:

Meta invested more than $10 billion in its Reality Labs segment — which includes its virtual reality headsets and augmented reality technology — in 2021, contributing to the quarter's profit decline. It expanded its workforce by 23%, ending the year with 71,970 employees, mostly in technical roles.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/shares-facebook-parent-meta-plunge-22-lower-profits-82633675

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Meta's value (the company's stock) has dropped something like 25% just in the last day.  Apparently that drop was mostly because the company has "lost 3.3 BILLION trying to make its 'metaverse' ambitions a reality."

Suckface lost a lot more than 3.3 billion.

Zuckerberg’s $29.8 billion loss is the second-largest single-day loss in history, surpassed only by the $35 billion that the world’s richest man Elon Musk lost in November after he tweeted about selling 10% of his Tesla stake. Musk also lost $25.8 billion from his net worth last week, Bloomberg reports.

Meta’s stock plummeted after the company warned of weaker-than-expected revenue growth in the next quarter and said that recent privacy changes from Apple will cost the company $10 billion, CNBC reported.

The 26% drop was Meta’s biggest single-day plunge ever, and wiped more than $200 billion off of its market cap — also a record.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/03/mark-zuckerbergs-net-worth-fell-30-billion-as-meta-shares-tank.html#:~:text=Zuckerberg's %2429.8 billion loss is,worth last week%2C Bloomberg reports.

8 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The 3.3 Billion is what the company lost on their balance sheet.  The company's stock value lost 25%, which is where that 29.8 billion comes in.

So, stocks plummeting like a sheer cliff face isn't a loss. You'll never convince an accountant or bookkeeper of that.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Meta's market cap drop is partly due to the increasing expense (in time and money) of their anticipated foray into a metaverse of unknown value. A larger portion of the drop is attributed to their first subscriber decline ever and a $10B/yr loss in advertising revenue resulting from Apple's increased customer privacy efforts, which deprive Meta of the customer analytics necessary to support current ad impression rates.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4

On 1/20/2022 at 10:26 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

This is the problem though .. if you build a world with no adult content, then it's never going to attract anyone's interest.

Not specifically because of the lack of adult content, but because by censoring that, the platform implicitly censors a whole lot of other stuff (even if they actually, technically, don't).

If a platform has adult content, prudes latch onto that and shout up a storm.

Give the same prudes a whole new world with no adult content (Sansar), do they move over .. nope, because it's boring.

Which I guess boils down to, if your virtual world isn't aggressively progressive, it's dead.

I don't know if I'm a prude or not but I could happily engage in a virtual world without sex; in a sense I do that now except that I know it's around somewhere.  That wasn't the problem for me with Sansar - it was just all too disconnected, one space from another, and not the place to build in unless you already had mesh skills.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I don't know if I'm a prude or not but I could happily engage in a virtual world without sex; in a sense I do that now except that I know it's around somewhere.  That wasn't the problem for me with Sansar - it was just all too disconnected, one space from another, and not the place to build in unless you already had mesh skills.

I wouldn't bother to engage in a virtual world without sex. I wouldn't bother to engage in a virtual world that is PURELY about sex either. What I like about SL is that we can focus on what we feel like at a particular moment.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I wouldn't bother to engage in a virtual world without sex. I wouldn't bother to engage in a virtual world that is PURELY about sex either. What I like about SL is that we can focus on what we feel like at a particular moment.

Oddly, I agree with you about the lack of appeal of a world without sex -- not because I engage at all in it, but for the reason that @Coffee Pancake suggested -- a virtual world without sex is almost certainly one that has been stripped of a lot of other freedoms and outlets for creativity as well.

You don't need to be "doing" sex in SL to be enjoying the benefits that come with a freer and more progressive attitude towards the culture in general.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oddly, I agree with you about the lack of appeal of a world without sex -- not because I engage at all in it, but for the reason that @Coffee Pancake suggested -- a virtual world without sex is almost certainly one that has been stripped of a lot of other freedoms and outlets for creativity as well.

You don't need to be "doing" sex in SL to be enjoying the benefits that come with a freer and more progressive attitude towards the culture in general.

At the same time, SL (or any platform) doesn't need sex to have benefits that come with a freer and more progressive attitude towards the culture in general. Sex can be detrimental to that freer and more progressive attitude since it does tend to overshadow everything else.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

If LL disallowed sexual conduct/content tomorrow, they'd be impacting many other outlets of revenue generation, the mesh head/body, skins, clothing, AO markets, for example.

Fun Facts:

I have bots traveling the grid collecting mesh head/body stats.

At a minimum, they find over 500 never-before-seen users wearing either a brand name mesh head or body daily.

Know where over half of these users are found at?

Zindra.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

At the same time, SL (or any platform) doesn't need sex to have benefits that come with a freer and more progressive attitude towards the culture in general. Sex can be detrimental to that freer and more progressive attitude since it does tend to overshadow everything else.

Sex can consume everything else, for sure. A world where sex completely dominated the culture would be incredibly dull, unappealing, and sterile to anyone who isn't just into sex. There are people here who are only interested in that -- who hop from one animated sex bed or one webcam date to another. And, surprise surprise, they tend to be rather dull, unappealing, and sterile themselves.

But there's a difference between a culture that has found a good balance between the expression of sexuality, and all the other good stuff, and one where chastity is enforced. Facebook's version of the metaverse sounds very much like the latter, and as a result I predict that it's going to be a veritable banquet of middle brow dullness. Get rid of sex, and you almost certainly lose also a great deal of artistic and creative freedom.

Second Life has, I think, achieved a pretty good balance. There is probably a bit more of the sex than I prefer -- god, I get so booooored of its impact on SL fashion -- but, as I've said many times before, it really intrudes upon my experience very very little. But I can go to art galleries here and see beautiful nudes. I can go to clubs where everyone's language and conversation isn't being censored and filtered to keep it "safe" for the easily shocked or offended. And I can flirt -- just a little dangerously, because, although I'll never follow through, there is always just the chance that I could.

It's a cliche that the two great themes of human literature are sex and death. I think the same could be said about a lot of our culture generally. Sexuality, even if it's hovering unseen and unheard in the background, is an enormously important part of who we are.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Sexuality, even if it's hovering unseen and unheard in the background, is an enormously important part of who we are.

No, it really isn't. The only thing sex is important for is procreation. Other than that, it's all just "fun and games". It took me too many decades and a lot of abuse to learn that hard lesson.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Sex can consume everything else, for sure. A world where sex completely dominated the culture would be incredibly dull, unappealing, and sterile to anyone who isn't just into sex. There are people here who are only interested in that -- who hop from one animated sex bed or one webcam date to another. And, surprise surprise, they tend to be rather dull, unappealing, and sterile themselves.

But there's a difference between a culture that has found a good balance between the expression of sexuality, and all the other good stuff, and one where chastity is enforced. Facebook's version of the metaverse sounds very much like the latter, and as a result I predict that it's going to be a veritable banquet of middle brow dullness. Get rid of sex, and you almost certainly lose also a great deal of artistic and creative freedom.

Second Life has, I think, achieved a pretty good balance. There is probably a bit more of the sex than I prefer -- god, I get so booooored of its impact on SL fashion -- but, as I've said many times before, it really intrudes upon my experience very very little. But I can go to art galleries here and see beautiful nudes. I can go to clubs where everyone's language and conversation isn't being censored and filtered to keep it "safe" for the easily shocked or offended. And I can flirt -- just a little dangerously, because, although I'll never follow through, there is always just the chance that I could.

It's a cliche that the two great themes of human literature are sex and death. I think the same could be said about a lot of our culture generally. Sexuality, even if it's hovering unseen and unheard in the background, is an enormously important part of who we are.

Also, when a place is curated to fit, lets say, a wider demographic with no adult content, for some reason gender expression gets chopped too. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

No, it really isn't. The only thing sex is important for is procreation. Other than that, it's all just "fun and games". It took me too many decades and a lot of abuse to learn that hard lesson.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, Silent.

Nobody who knows me is ever going to call me over-sexed, but my sexuality is really integral to everything about me. And I think a glance around our culture, ranging from crappy tacky ads, all the way up to the very greatest art and literature, seems to me to prove that I'm right.

I have absolutely no issues with your own views on this -- in fact, I'm delighted that you've found a personal balance with which you are comfortable. But enforcing a culture with the sexuality excised from it isn't actually going to teach anyone about finding life balance: it's merely going to deprive them of a really important outlet for personal expression.

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.