Why SL is been left out of the current metaverse hype?

Oct Oyen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ever since Facebook announced it's all in on metaverses, it has been on a hype along the hype of crypto and NFT. As I'm looking at these blockchain based metaverse, it was like time traveling back to SL in 2007. Everything these metaverses are doing now has been done in SL15 years ago, except for the blockchain part. Yet all these metaverse buzz from tech articles have no mention of SL. Is LL missing a golden opportunity?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

SL is really not mainstream cool or relevant any more and hasn't been for a long time. It's got a die hard community of its own but it's just seen as weird and outdated by most people outside of it, if they even remember it. People won't even think of it for these articles.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

SL is really not mainstream cool or relevant any more and hasn't been for a long time. It's got a die hard community of its own but it's just seen as weird and outdated by most people outside of it, if they even remember it. People won't even think of it for these articles.

Also whenever it is mentioned outside of specific circles, most are shocked to know that it's still around.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, mikka Luik said:

yes you can - well if you really want to =^^=

twitter.PNG.280a2414b4dd45f515d431b1e32cc038.PNG

Been there done that. It does not work. Not even on the email I have had for well over 20 years. Nor does trying to sign up with my Google account and I do not and refuse to have Freakbook.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Oct Oyen said:

Ever since Facebook announced it's all in on metaverses, it has been on a hype along the hype of crypto and NFT. As I'm looking at these blockchain based metaverse, it was like time traveling back to SL in 2007. Everything these metaverses are doing now has been done in SL15 years ago, except for the blockchain part. Yet all these metaverse buzz from tech articles have no mention of SL. Is LL missing a golden opportunity?

People probably aren't talking about SL now because they were talking about it in 2007 and giving it hype that it couldn't sustain.

• Like 1

I think it has a lot to do with SL's ancient engine, Windwright ...or whatever it's called. SL was designed in 2003, it was state of art back then and LL has done a great job pushing the ancient engine beyond its expiration day, by adapting standard gaming asset format. But the physic part of it remains in 2000s, the experience of driving a car in SL today is the same as it was 2007, unplayable. Also all these talks about web 3.0 is basically describing OpenSims.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, in fairness, there is a lot of that.

It's a shame that they are overlooking the legions of really dull people. Like me.

This is the problem though .. if you build a world with no adult content, then it's never going to attract anyone's interest.

Not specifically because of the lack of adult content, but because by censoring that, the platform implicitly censors a whole lot of other stuff (even if they actually, technically, don't).

If a platform has adult content, prudes latch onto that and shout up a storm.

Give the same prudes a whole new world with no adult content (Sansar), do they move over .. nope, because it's boring.

Which I guess boils down to, if your virtual world isn't aggressively progressive, it's dead.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Oct Oyen said:

Gene was formerly legal counsel for Linden Lab and is now running for local elections in California.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If a platform has adult content, prudes latch onto that and shout up a storm.

Give the same prudes a whole new world with no adult content (Sansar), do they move over .. nope, because it's boring.

There is a class of person who lives to loves to wield the puritan scythe

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Oct Oyen said:

I think it has a lot to do with SL's ancient engine, Windwright ...or whatever it's called. SL was designed in 2003, it was state of art back then and LL has done a great job pushing the ancient engine beyond its expiration day, by adapting standard gaming asset format. But the physic part of it remains in 2000s, the experience of driving a car in SL today is the same as it was 2007, unplayable. Also all these talks about web 3.0 is basically describing OpenSims.

WindLight was not SL's engine. WindLight was the codename for Second Life's atmospheric rendering system which has been "replaced" by EEP.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.