How can a woman trust her man enough to bring him to a store for women (and vice versa)

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm sure you've seen it. Maybe you even do it. A girl avatar bringing a boy avatar to a skin store, or a sexy clothing store, or even a shopping event. With how easy it is to be unfaithful and all the things we know about how men behave in SL it seems like a recipe for heartbreak. Is it to show how much trust they have? Is it a kind of torture? Is it to find someone for a threesome? I've only been to men's stores a few times with my alt and haven't seen something like this. I'd like to know what you think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 15
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I'm sure you've seen it. Maybe you even do it. A girl avatar bringing a boy avatar to a skin store, or a sexy clothing store, or even a shopping event. With how easy it is to be unfaithful and all the things we know about how men behave in SL it seems like a recipe for heartbreak. Is it to show how much trust they have? Is it a kind of torture? Is it to find someone for a threesome? I've only been to men's stores a few times with my alt and haven't seen something like this. I'd like to know what you think.

If you can't take your partner out in public for fear that he's going to chat up other women, get a new partner. If you're worried any partner is going to chat up others,  that's a you problem.

Edited by Blaise Glendevon
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Men can go anywhere and find women.  Why would taking them to a store make any difference?  Some women probably want an opinion from the.person who might see their avatar the most.  I don't have female friends so if I want an opinion on a new skin, I'll ask my BFF who is male.  If I had a partner, I'd want his opinion.  Seems logical.

ETA. I've also gone to male skin stores with friends or new people.  Even a partner once or twice.  I certainly didn't go to pick up anyone but one time, some woman did hit on the man I was with.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 14

Maybe I am slow but I don't understand the issue... why would a guy be unfaithful in a skin store of all places?

If he fantasizes about you looking like one of the models all he has to do is get you that skin/face/shape/whatever combo and hey presto his fantasy is fulfilled. 

Are you referring to a specific event you witnessed in a female skin store or is this a generic statement about men?

Just asking as I don't honestly know what the problem is. My partner and I visit skin stores sometimes just to see the latest and greatest, but the thought of him being unfaithful in the skin store never crossed my mind 🤷‍♀️

• Like 16

15 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

If you can't trust him next to you in a women's store, how do you trust him to be by himself while you shop? Personally I think a guy wanting to tag along so he can be with his girlfriend would inspire more trust than one who says you go shopping babe I will find something to do.

• Like 16

I don't want to be overly suspicious but I also don't want to be completely naïve. It's like that parable of the scorpion and the frog. The scorpion can't swim and asks the frog to take him across the river. The frog hesitates but the scorpion says they would both drown if the frog was stung. The frog takes the scorpion on it's back and halfway in the river the scorpion stings the frog. The frog asks why they did that and scorpion says 'I can't help it. It's my nature to sting'. 

I remember watching this video where they interviewed this guy and girl who were hanging out but not a couple. When asked what they think of their friendship, the girl would say, "I'm just with my friend. He's a great friend" and the guy would say, "Yeah, hopefully in the future we'll have sex". It was consistent for every group they asked. I don't think this is a bad stereotype. It's just human nature. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Not sure I understand the question. I've taken men shopping in womens stores all the time. They've taken me along with them shopping in mens stores all the time. I typically date guys who love shopping and styling as much as I do (if not more), so it's just something we do together.

On my own, I'm always in mens stores, too. I rock male avatars in addition to the rest, and while I absolutely adore how they look, I'm not quite a nudist. 😄 As someone who's in those a lot, I can tell ya - it's pretty common to see women shopping in stores and events catered to men - both alone and with partners. And yes, I always find men shopping in womens stores, too. Especially stores that support gifting.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Not all guys are like this though. Me and my girl go shopping all the time together. She let's me know if a guy is bugging her (it happens often when we go out lol), and I troll him. Badly. 

We have full trust in each other. And I think trust is a dying thing in and out of SL, sadly.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

all the things we know about how men behave in SL

I'm gonna guess that you "know" far more than I do.

37 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

A girl avatar bringing a boy avatar to a skin store, or a sexy clothing store, or even a shopping event...

Is it a kind of torture?

My experience, both as a woman and knowing a few men is...

Clothes shopping is torture.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Not all guys are like this though. Me and my girl go shopping all the time together. She let's me know if a guy is bugging her (it happens often when we go out lol), and I troll him. Badly. 

We have full trust in each other. And I think trust is a dying thing in and out of SL, sadly.

I have seen this in people's profiles and then 2 days later one is partnered to another person. LOL.  So unless you are physically sitting next to them watching what they do no one can every be sure the other isn't cheating RL or SL. I know you say you have complete trust but can you really?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I have seen this in people's profiles and then 2 days later one is partnered to another person. LOL.  So unless you are physically sitting next to them watching what they do no one can every be sure the other isn't cheating RL or SL. I know you say you have complete trust but can you really?

Yes.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I don't want to be overly suspicious but I also don't want to be completely naïve. It's like that parable of the scorpion and the frog. The scorpion can't swim and asks the frog to take him across the river. The frog hesitates but the scorpion says they would both drown if the frog was stung. The frog takes the scorpion on it's back and halfway in the river the scorpion stings the frog. The frog asks why they did that and scorpion says 'I can't help it. It's my nature to sting'. 

In which case it won't make any difference if the frog had taken the scorpion shopping beforehand. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Men can go anywhere and find women.  Why would taking them to a store make any difference?  Some women probably want an opinion from the.person who might see their avatar the most.  I don't have female friends so if I want an opinion on a new skin, I'll ask my BFF who is male.  If I had a partner, I'd want his opinion.  Seems logical.

ETA. I've also gone to male skin stores with friends or new people.  Even a partner once or twice.  I certainly didn't go to pick up anyone but one time, some woman did hit on the man I was with.  

There's that too. All those ladies, dressed up like they're at a club, hitting on the guy. But, the guy is a saint. Like @Chris Nova

Edited by Bree Giffen

59 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Men who are going to cheat, will do so whether they get taken to a clothes store or not. Heck, many of them don't even leave home, they just trawl through the members list of whatever sex group takes their fancy and IM every woman on the list who happens to be online.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

In which case it won't make any difference if the frog had taken the scorpion shopping beforehand. 

Seems to me to make more sense for the scorpion to take the frog shopping beforehand, thus lulling his victim so that when he fakes losing control midstream (instead of waiting until closer to shore so he doesn't drown since the frog wouldn't under normal circumstances) therefore the frog is at fault because, rather than keep on swimming to shore, he stopped so they both drowned. Honorable frog would have done his best to save the scorpion even after being stung.

At least that's how it goes in all the scifi books I've been reading lately. 🤔 

8 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

Men who are going to cheat, will do so whether they get taken to a clothes store or not. Heck, many of them don't even leave home, they just trawl through the members list of whatever sex group takes their fancy and IM every woman on the list who happens to be online.

Some of them don't even limit it to sex groups. None of my groups are sex groups yet I still get the occasional random randy IM.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.