The "notes" section in your profile.

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In your profile, there is an about tab where a section called 'notes' lets someone write anything they want and you cannot see it. This has always bothered me because it's like someone taping a paper on your back that says 'kick me'. Does anyone know about this and how do you feel that there is a place where every single resident of SL can write something that sticks to your profile and they can see it every time. Should this be allowed? I mean some people go nuts when they find a vampire has taken their soul which basically means their name is in a bloodlines database but aren't these profile notes part of your profile in the Second Life database? What if someone wrote, "Your soul is mine" in the notes? You'd  never know. I mean what's even the point of it. I've never used it at all and don't see the need. Maybe LL needs to make these notes visible to the person who owns the profile.

• Haha 6
  • Confused 5

"Notes" is meant for just that - personal notes on a particular user. It can be used by store owners, rental agents/landlords and even the general user base as a place to put notable information connected to you.

That you are unable to see it is part of the point as it is not meant for you - at all.

That you do not see the point of it is barely relevant either - you do not use it. Do others use it? Possibly. Does it matter if they do? No.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

In your profile, there is an about tab where a section called 'notes' lets someone write anything they want and you cannot see it. This has always bothered me because it's like someone taping a paper on your back that says 'kick me'. Does anyone know about this and how do you feel that there is a place where every single resident of SL can write something that sticks to your profile and they can see it every time. Should this be allowed? I mean some people go nuts when they find a vampire has taken their soul which basically means their name is in a bloodlines database but aren't these profile notes part of your profile in the Second Life database? What if someone wrote, "Your soul is mine" in the notes? You'd  never know. I mean what's even the point of it. I've never used it at all and don't see the need. Maybe LL needs to make these notes visible to the person who owns the profile.

The only person who sees that is the person who writes it.  I use it to note a person's RL name if they give it to me or birthday.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On the my.secondlife.com web profiles is this disclaimer about the notes section

"Use this space to record your notes about this person. Only you can see these notes. This person cannot see them, nor can other people." 

I've used my notes section to make a note of regions, groups, stores and other SL related things i wanted to remember for later. i have used notes in one or two friends profiles just to note what their name was before they paid to change it or their known alts names. I see no need to get rid of this part of the profile nor am i interested in what someone has put in there about me for their own reference.  

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I always have used the notes section on profiles. It's handy to jot something down as to where we met and on what date. It's quicker to glance at the profile notes than to go rifling through my diaries to find information if I've not go instant recall when meeting someone for a second time several weeks/months/years later. While I have sometimes written "energy vampire, avoid at all costs", I mostly only ever write positive things and block the energy vampires. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Maybe figure out how a particular feature is used first before complaining about it?  I use the notes section ALL THE TIME for people. When their birthday is, favorite color, favorite flower, RL profession if they tell me. I even put in my impression of my interactions with them because I meet a lot of people and it's hard to keep them straight. "this person has a great sense of humor" "this person is an asshat"  - you know stuff like that.

Sometimes after I've known someone for awhile I'll copy my notes and let them see what I wrote when I first met them, well unless it's bad. LOL Everyone has taken it as good fun and we had a laugh.

In my notes section I might put in a particular stream address or the name of a sim I wanted to come back and visit. It's very handy.

• Like 6

I use the Notes section in my own profile to save important things like my own UUID and the UUIDs of my alts, URLs to good music streams, the date when my land fees are due .... stuff I forget otherwise or would at least have to go to a bit of trouble to find.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

But nobody can see it except the person who wrote it, so if it didn't exist in the profile it would be easy to create the same thing off-line, right?

Only the person who wrote it can see what is in the note, and employees at LL who have access to it, and whoever LL gives access to that data as well. The positive side of recording such information off-line is that it removes the ability for LL to access it.

LL already has a multitude of data points on us, such as what we like, our interests, what type of people/demographics we associate with, what we buy, our spending patterns, location, etc. Enriching it with additional data from Notes - e.g., birthdate, profession, phone number, etc. - can make it even more useful/valuable.

Since I've learned how social networks leverage our data, I've lost faith on corporations ethically managing our data. I'm aware that before social networks, Google was already mining our data and selling it. And before Google, credit card companies were doing the same. It just seems like now with the growth of the data economy, things are getting exponentially worse.

Edited by Echelon Alcott
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

I must have used Notes once or twice all these years so i don't mind if they are removed or if they stay.

(*When it comes to keeping track of RL birthdays, professions etc i consider such info insignificant for 'SL only' interactions so i never ask or keep track of those. If we take it to RL i use my Phone Contacts.)

10 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

I must have used Notes once or twice all these years so i don't mind if they are removed or if they stay.

(*When it comes to keeping track of RL birthdays, professions etc i consider such info insignificant for 'SL only' interactions so i never ask or keep track of those. If we take it to RL i use my Phone Contacts.)

Guess that rules out you getting me a gift on my birthday huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

You're not entitled to know what other people think about you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

As someone who tends to forget who people are after enough time has passed, I absolutely adore the personal notes feature on any system -- Discord has it as well, and most MMOs or online games have a third-party plugin that adds it as a feature.

I use it in many of the same ways everyone else has already listed, basically jotting down things I want to remember about that particular person. Whenever I come back from a long break, I tend to open up my friend list and have absolutely no idea who anyone is... 😅 or maybe I vaguely remember them but can't recall how we met, or the conversations we had, etc. So I use notes for everyone I add as a friend, and usually for people I've talked to. Things like "met while shopping at XYZ store, super funny, had conversations about video games" which are simple but tend to instantly jog my memory. I also use notes for people I block or had a negative experience with, because just like with my friend list I may look at my list of blocked users and... have no idea who any of them are, lmao. So I'll jot a couple quick notes about why I blocked them or what happened.

I haven't really gotten into roleplay on SL, but I was heavily into it on another MMO and used the notes to keep track of significant plot points or information about their character, etc. And I did that for literally anyone I ever interacted with in RP so that next time we RP'd together (whether the next day or months later) I would have some notes to refer to so that my character can remember things about the interaction. I imagine it'd be the same case for Second Life, if I ever roleplayed with someone or joined a group, I'd 100% be adding in notes for everyone involved so I'd be able to recall things.

However people use the notes function, it's meant as a personal reference for them, not for the person whose profile it's written on. What difference does it make if someone wrote "your soul is mine" in a note on my profile? 🤣🤣🤣 It's only for them, lmao, doesn't affect me at all.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I use that section to remind myself of significant life events that person is undergoing. This lets me avoid seeming insensitive in conversation by referencing the notes saying: “going through divorce”, “RL spouse passed”, “very bad arthritis- types slowly but not being inattentive” and similar.

I talk to a LOT of people in SL as a DJ and in general. Little reminders help me be respectful.

This was a habit that carried over from RL where I wanted to make sure I remembered any significant situations related to the people entrusted to me. It always helps to remember those birthdays, weddings and significant life events. Especially if the note was “child passed away today 10 years ago” and the right move is not to “coach someone about taking to long on the break patio” but instead to just go sit w them.

Sometimes taking notes is not for the purposes of dehumanizing people as data; but to acknowledge shared humanity.

image.gif.01b7a04f55c8702b7c8414c9b68aa9cd.gif

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

When it comes to keeping track of RL birthdays, professions etc i consider such info insignificant for 'SL only' interactions so i never ask or keep track of those.

So, I take it I won't be getting a birthday present from you?

I guess, really, we should be thanking you for being so forthright about how utterly insignificant you think anyone who doesn't cam with you is? Had I ever had any thought of associating with you, this would definitely convince me not to waste MY time.

ETA: Damn. Just read Sam's response. She beat me to it.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Are you trying to start a war in SL?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I mean what's even the point of it. I've never used it at all and don't see the need. Maybe LL needs to make these notes visible to the person who owns the profile.

It's a great feature, especially if you are forgetful. If someone tells me their real life first name in conversation, I immediately note it down so I don't forget it. I usually note down which part of the world they are from too. It's really good for helping you remember stuff like birthdays, or anniversaries. I see it as a positive tool.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I don’t understand how the Notes section is any different than a post it note about you that I might stick on my desk, or a thought about you I might carry in my head. Back when phone books were popular, did you worry that someone might highlight your name in it?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Back when phone books were popular, did you worry that someone might highlight your name in it?

Wait. People did that???

OMG, what a clever thing to do. I feel like an idiot.

Now I want a printed phone book so I can do that!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LilNosferatu said:

As someone who tends to forget who people are after enough time has passed, I absolutely adore the personal notes feature on any system -- Discord has it as well, and most MMOs or online games have a third-party plugin that adds it as a feature.

I use it in many of the same ways everyone else has already listed, basically jotting down things I want to remember about that particular person. Whenever I come back from a long break, I tend to open up my friend list and have absolutely no idea who anyone is... 😅 or maybe I vaguely remember them but can't recall how we met, or the conversations we had, etc. So I use notes for everyone I add as a friend, and usually for people I've talked to. Things like "met while shopping at XYZ store, super funny, had conversations about video games" which are simple but tend to instantly jog my memory. I also use notes for people I block or had a negative experience with, because just like with my friend list I may look at my list of blocked users and... have no idea who any of them are, lmao. So I'll jot a couple quick notes about why I blocked them or what happened.

I haven't really gotten into roleplay on SL, but I was heavily into it on another MMO and used the notes to keep track of significant plot points or information about their character, etc. And I did that for literally anyone I ever interacted with in RP so that next time we RP'd together (whether the next day or months later) I would have some notes to refer to so that my character can remember things about the interaction. I imagine it'd be the same case for Second Life, if I ever roleplayed with someone or joined a group, I'd 100% be adding in notes for everyone involved so I'd be able to recall things.

However people use the notes function, it's meant as a personal reference for them, not for the person whose profile it's written on. What difference does it make if someone wrote "your soul is mine" in a note on my profile? 🤣🤣🤣 It's only for them, lmao, doesn't affect me at all.

I WISH I had done this. Or used the notes at all when I was on SL before. I have a pretty good memory (I think?) But I relied on convo logs a bit too much to jog my memory. Now that I'm back, I have a friends list full of people who, if they are on at times, I don't even DARE message because I barely remember who they are. That's not true of everyone on my list of course - the people I was closest with and talked to almost daily I remember very well. But it would be really nice to see someone on my list of old pop up and be able to say "hey! how have things been since X happened?" or "remember "y"?" rather then that dreadful moment they IM me to say hi and my only response is "ohhh.....you :) " I mean I'll still talk to them, but it always feels like the Mulva episode of Seinfeld, and I always feel pretty bad for a bit. Then they'll say one little thing and it hits the right set of cogs and I remember them, but why have that period of awkwardness? Notes absolutely ftw.

Edited by BranScanlon
  • Like 5

You sound like someone who had a really hard time in middle school back then, when all the girls wrote diaries x3 not knowing if maybe someone wrote about you? 

But for real, I love this tab. I love it so much that I wish RL people had one x3 because I really suck at remembering names or why I know them xD

In SL I hit my 15th Rez day now, and I usually am only online for blogging, or customer service or for a chat with some RL friends that moved to another city, or just for having exploring fun with my RL family and friends. I don't add friends inworld anymore and I despise smalltalk with strangers tbh (I know I'm a horrible person haha) So honestly SL people don't bother me much and I am a horrible friend to people from SL only XD so much that I don't even have anyone on my list anymore except RL people so this tab is really handy for me, I can take notes where about where or why I talked to someone or about customers for example, when they needed help with a certain thing I note down things like what head they used etc.

And I also take notes in people's profile that acted in a non nice way so I know next time XD because I am a squirrel and can never keep track of my nuts x3 so this tab should stay where it is, and not go anywhere because one person is afraid of it. I couldn't care less what someone wrote in mine about me. Just don't take this tiny thing too personal and have fun in SL x3

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.