Next theme (after the chalets)?

Claire Atheria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 4 weeks later...

During Patch's talk at the Home & Garden Expo earlier today, a few things were confirmed!

• The theme after the chalets will be previewed at SL18B (33:10 mins)
  • It will most likely be released after SL18B is over (not during)
  • It will "blow your socks off" and "probably be our most impressive theme to date," with "unique capabilities unlike any other theme"

I'm so curious about what it'll be!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, Claire Atheria said:

During Patch's talk at the Home & Garden Expo earlier today, a few things were confirmed!

• It will "blow your socks off" and "probably be our most impressive theme to date," with "unique capabilities unlike any other theme"

I'm so curious about what it'll be!

Me too! I'm not going too wild with my guesses though - from what we've seen to date all the themes seem to be based on styles that can be seen somewhere in the USA (even the chalets) , so I think they'll be more 'real worldy' than say fantasy. But I've been crap at guessing themes so far lol, so I could be wrong.

As for the 'unique capabilities' - wow,  yes that sounds interesting. The thing that would interest me most would be the ability to rotate the home, (in similar way to the logs but with more rotations). That would be awesome. I can't imagine what it could be .  Maybe more decor customisation in some way? Or maybe open plan with add on walls so you can divide up the space (this was suggested somewhere in the past amongst the threads)?

For me, a rotatable home, with a Stilt theme feel - oh that would blow my socks off!😄

• Like 4

The H&G interview is very interesting.  Patch was agreeably forthcoming about a range of issues.

On 2/15/2021 at 4:11 AM, Yuumo Ichibara said:

I would be happy if they made an upgraded 2021 quality full mesh Meadowbrook

One interesting thing he mentioned was that, looking at the stats on LH uptake, it was obvious that the Meadowbrook LH style (but not all the Meadowbrook models) was much MUCH more popular than all the rest of the older LH styles.

3 hours ago, Claire Atheria said:

Before their release, Patch said the Vics would 'blow our socks off', and ... well, they did!   That said, the lesson behind Meadowbrook's success may be simply that people like flexible houses, as opposed to fantasy or highly specific themes, like the Japanese or Horizon themes.  So I am thinking that the new theme will also be a variation on their basic home design methodology.

He did not say anything about what the "unique capabilities" would be, but PERSONALLY I do dream about the ability to move interior walls, and have a removable exterior panel or two so that add-ons could more organically integrate with a home.  Rotating is also really cool, tho it would put some limitations on mole landscaping.

Some interesting words were said when someone asked whether prim allotments/region and/or land prices would be changing, now that the grid is on AWS.  Patch pointed out that the grid is more expensive to run on AWS than it was in its colo full of fully depreciated hardware, which I hadn't realized but certainly makes sense.  Patch further said that Ebbe's philosophy of moving to distribute SL's costs more equitably across the user base via fees and new programs, rather than increasing land prices, will continue to be followed.  He also said some interesting things about one feature of Premium Plus being more prims or possibly larger parcels ... I'm not going to listen to the interview again to clarify my memory.  He referred to Premium Plus having been shelved in deference to LL's sense of the stress that the pandemic was already putting on their user base; I didn't glean whether that meant it may return in some form if/when the pandemic strain has lessened.

Someone asked about the possibility of a group of friends somehow creating a LH neighborhood together.  Patch said that LL has tossed some ideas around, but it would be difficult, and spoke of some people being able to play new releases so as to claim homes in close proximity to each other for that purpose.  I'm impressed by his knowing that much about LH claiming patterns; but even so all I can say is that if he thinks Land Holding Groups are using known alts to repetitively claim most of specific newly released regions so they all can live forevermore in happy harmony, well, I want what he's smoking.

The interview also featured some interesting discussions of things that LL might consider (or even have in the works) for SL's future.  A few very attractive ideas were mooted, and Patch seemed receptive.  Again, I found myself wanting what he was smoking (or, hopefully, knowing what he knows about LL's future).  As things stand right now,  LL is in a position where they weathered two rounds of layoffs to enable the acquisition;  where Oz has retired and Grumpity is 'temporarily' substituting for him; where of the 5 job reqs open on LL's jobs page, the only one that pertains to SL is for entry-level support engineers working out of Georgia (the rest pertain to Tilia and/or the Marketplace); and where the world map has been broken for many moons and apparently one poor schmo has been tasked with fixing/rewriting it.  I'm personally not holding my breath for dramatic new features in SL.

Unless lightning strikes and the troika running LL decides to invest something in this world they've acquired, seems to me that they will soon be changing SL's logo to:

cash-cow-saying-cartoon-vector-1804638.jpg.08fb1a2fdc30169546df0705bbb0fc28.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

I am off to listen to this now - my idea of unique capability involves homes that are actual vehicles that you can drive on land and sea - maybe park up at a vacant plot somewhere and pay your rent for a week - but I somehow doubt that is what they mean...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm thinking modular Meadowbrook; houses made up of adjoining boxes which you can rez or unrez according to how much space you need. Removable walls like the chalets, add-on doors like the stilts, with texture change letting you switch some walls between wood, concrete or glass. So you could have a whole wall of full-length windows facing out to the sea. Or not. You'd need to be using the same textures across interior and exterior, but that would work fine with this particular style and might help offset the lag from the extra scripts.

• Like 4

An unique feature that I would love, is changing a window to a door, or a door to a window. Or change to more/less windows.

It would be a totally new way of decorating a home, if we could move the backyard door. Or buy a balcony add-on from a creator, move it in place, and change the 2floor window to a door.

I doubt it will go so far, but it is a dream.

Rotating the house on the land is one thing that probably is possible. Move the house so you can see the best view from your windows, not have a "blind" side with no windows turned towards the scenic view.

I can imagine that will work. The campers and one log home already has some degree of rotation. Why not the houses too?

Yes, and MIRRORED houses!

Ok, I must stop myself before I am too exited....

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

An unique feature that I would love, is changing a window to a door, or a door to a window. Or change to more/less windows.

It would be a totally new way of decorating a home, if we could move the backyard door. Or buy a balcony add-on from a creator, move it in place, and change the 2floor window to a door.

I doubt it will go so far, but it is a dream.

Rotating the house on the land is one thing that probably is possible. Move the house so you can see the best view from your windows, not have a "blind" side with no windows turned towards the scenic view.

I can imagine that will work. The campers and one log home already has some degree of rotation. Why not the houses too?

Yes, and MIRRORED houses!

Ok, I must stop myself before I am too exited....

I'd like to be able to crawl in and out of open windows.

• Haha 5

My GUESS only, the timeline for new releases is:

CHALETS before or after Easter, but I assume it will be in good time before June. I guess APRIL*.

STYLE X preview in SL18B - that is second half of JUNE, roughly.

STYLE X release 1-2 weeks after the SL18B, that will be first half of JULY.

*Edit to add: Or LL will copy the first release and release the Chalets the last days of March, the Monday after Palm Sunday.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I never tried, but can't you do it with a transparent ramp up, and down on the other side?

Nope, I've tried, with a teen avi small enough to fit.  You also can't sit on LH window sills unless you add a transparent prim.

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
  • Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 7:49 AM, Abnor Mole said:

I know! 😃 And yes it is. And no, it's not what you're thinking. (I don't actually know what you're thinking, but whatever it is... that's not it.)

I guess my dream of a magic treehouse with special mushroom garden features is off the cards then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

In the last Patch interview, on March 10th, he said Chalets would probably be released in a couple of weeks.  That would put the release during the week of the 23rd (if we take 'couple of weeks' to be literal), though more likely it would be the week of March 30th or April 6th.

I'm going to go with the 8th release happening the week after SL18B ends or the week after that -- so sometime within the first 2 weeks of July.

My memory isn't working too well -- what other large events are there after SL18B and before the Winter Expo where there could be another reveal?  If themes 9 & 10 are to be released before year end, then we need one or two reveal events.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 2:49 AM, Abnor Mole said:

I know! 😃 And yes it is. And no, it's not what you're thinking. (I don't actually know what you're thinking, but whatever it is... that's not it.)

So does that mean the next theme won’t have an updated Loftroom? That was my favorite style in the Meadowbrook theme. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 10:36 AM, Nika Talaj said:

One interesting thing he mentioned was that, looking at the stats on LH uptake, it was obvious that the Meadowbrook LH style (but not all the Meadowbrook models) was much MUCH more popular than all the rest of the older LH styles.

Something that does not suprise me. The Meadowbrook style combines two excellent attributes:

1. Neutrality. Meaning, that the houses easily fit a varity of furniture styles. From futuristic to a 60s style.

2. Easy to furnish. Its box shapes stacked together. Every donkey can place furniture in there.

• Like 2

With Chalets, Traditionals, Victorians, and "almost" log homes and Stilt on land - I worry that the 'modern day house on a plot of land' theme might be a bit saturated.

I'm hoping the next theme is, as Abnor stated - NOT what we're thinking. As in something really unique. But also appealing enough that people want it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Something that does not suprise me. The Meadowbrook style combines two excellent attributes:

1. Neutrality. Meaning, that the houses easily fit a varity of furniture styles. From futuristic to a 60s style.

2. Easy to furnish. Its box shapes stacked together. Every donkey can place furniture in there.

Add to that:

3. High ceilings and huge rooms. Easy to move around in without walls getting in the way.

4. Huge windows. Self explanatory.

Perfect!

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.