Next theme (after the chalets)?

Claire Atheria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

With Chalets, Traditionals, Victorians, and "almost" log homes and Stilt on land - I worry that the 'modern day house on a plot of land' theme might be a bit saturated.

I'm hoping the next theme is, as Abnor stated - NOT what we're thinking. As in something really unique. But also appealing enough that people want it.

I think it is more than one theme left. If LL want to make money, it is a huge demand for modern. I see every thread "What do you want now", modern comes up as one of the top, if not the top wish.

Modern in desert landscape? It can continue the sand theme.

Appealing but different, maybe tree houses? I would think that's a surprise.

• Like 2

I re-visited the Chalet preview area, and while I very much liked the community picnic area, I was more interested in Abnor's car.....How about a Bellisserian area that is just for drivers? Every car has a garage or rezz area, and miles and miles of intersecting, looping roads...I visited a private region recently that had a road that corkscrewed up into the sky, so it can be done. The houses don't have to be all that much, as long as the roads are good.

Seriously, though, much of Bellisseria is undriveable. The roads aren't named, and in at least one of the stilt islands you can't even drive around the block. I am assuming that this is by design, because pesky residents who don't want to stay put just put wear and tear on the computers...

Sings "Oh give me a home where my roadster can roam....

Where the sky's always set on Midday,

Where the crossings are smooth, and the ban lines defused -

I'll just drive around heaven all day."

abnorscar.jpg

Edited by Rufferta
because
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I think it is more than one theme left. If LL want to make money, it is a huge demand for modern. I see every thread "What do you want now", modern comes up as one of the top, if not the top wish.

There is a huge demand, but... when we look at the homes page we see that trads, campers, and stilt on land are basically permanent residents on that page. Victorians and Log Cabins are that friend that keeps staying over on the couch all the time, but goes home now and then... but houseboats and stilt on water are rare guests.

- That tells me that we've run out the demand for certain kinds of builds, but still have a lot of pent up energy for getting a home as a whole, and for certain concepts in particular.

People keep demanding modern.

But guys in SL keep demanding more clothes.

In both cases, anyone who meets the demand finds their product doesn't sell as well. ;)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

Breaking news. The next theme Linden home has been leaked....

Regular_Shipping_Carton.jpg

There was a time when SL had a ton of boxes as homes for nekos, in assorted themes... They were always too 'grunge' for me because for some reason I still don't understand SLers associated neko with grunge. But yeah... still looking for that cardboard box dream home. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

There was a time when SL had a ton of boxes as homes for nekos, in assorted themes... They were always too 'grunge' for me because for some reason I still don't understand SLers associated neko with grunge. But yeah... still looking for that cardboard box dream home. ;)

Blocks Modular Cat Playhouse #Cat, #House, #Modular, #Playful | Cat house  diy, Cat castle, Cat playhouse

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

There is a huge demand, but... when we look at the homes page we see that trads, campers, and stilt on land are basically permanent residents on that page. Victorians and Log Cabins are that friend that keeps staying over on the couch all the time, but goes home now and then... but houseboats and stilt on water are rare guests.

- That tells me that we've run out the demand for certain kinds of builds, but still have a lot of pent up energy for getting a home as a whole, and for certain concepts in particular.

People keep demanding modern.

But guys in SL keep demanding more clothes.

In both cases, anyone who meets the demand finds their product doesn't sell as well. ;)

I read in another thread that it is 3 new themes this year, and LL does not plan for more. They can always change their mind later, but Patch has recently said it, so we have to believe it is the current truth.

LL can have 1 modern option and 2 more daring ones. I would like that very much. I can't predict the future, but one can hope, haha.

I was just thinking, floating sky islands, 32 x 32 m with rounded edges as a base for the homes? It could be green islands, like "Avatar" with fantasy houses to rez on them.

We still have no underwater option, so... maybe? LL would need to lower the sea bottom to -20 m. That is doable. I doubt it, since many will want "no water inside".

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Rufferta said:

Sings "Oh give me a home where my roadster can roam....

Where the sky's always set on Midday,

Where the crossings are smooth, and the ban lines defused -

I'll just drive around heaven all day."

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you KNOW I am going to have that song stuck in my head all day now!!!!!!!!!!   :D  :D 

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I read in another thread that it is 3 new themes this year, and LL does not plan for more. They can always change their mind later, but Patch has recently said it, so we have to believe it is the current truth.

LL can have 1 modern option and 2 more daring ones. I would like that very much. I can't predict the future, but one can hope, haha.

I was just thinking, floating sky islands, 32 x 32 m with rounded edges as a base for the homes? It could be green islands, like "Avatar" with fantasy houses to rez on them.

We still have no underwater option, so... maybe? LL would need to lower the sea bottom to -20 m. That is doable. I doubt it, since many will want "no water inside".

I think the lab should either move or merge the old Linden Home continents near to the Bellisseria continent after all of the themes are released. Maybe something to look forward to in 2022 or 2023. It would be super exciting for travelling between the continents. 

I think removing the old Linden Home continents would be a big mistake as there are active residents there and interesting areas still worth visiting.  

Edited by Daniel Voyager
  • Like 7

I have heard it on good authority that they are building Novye Cheryomushki. After all, the Moles already have some Soviet stadiums in stock...

Seriously...I would say that there are no styles left for them to make, except "the Jetsons," i.e. some kind of futuristic but suburban-type housing, but didn't they try "future" in Horizons and everyone just returned the builds? So I don't think so, but who knows.

People have often asked for "Craftsmen" but I think that's both a little too similar to some log cabins and maybe too niche for them to mass produce it.

So...upon reflection, I think...They haven't really done the old California ranch style, bungalows such as movie stars lived in during the 1940s and 1950s, with the kidney-shaped pools. The bungalow or larger ranch is really something that would mass produce easily and lend itself to the 6 styles or whatever they have as options.

Patch said the theme for the birthday -- SL is turning 18 this year -- is the same as the houses. So I really am thinking this is like a Tom Petty video, California, Hollywood, surfing, movie stars, something like that.

One boon from this selection is that the Moles will have an opportunity to atone for their sins of their predecessors in making the palm trees in the library -- one of which is emphatically dead and has been since 2003 -- and make spiffy new palm trees and putting it in our packs. Yes, I'm certain now this has to be it.

There were some early LHs that were sort of "California" but not quite like this "California ranch" or bungalow style. They had "1950s" or "mid century" as a theme a few years ago at the birthday, so if they do "California ranch" it would have to be an accentuation like "rock star" or "Hollywood" perhaps. They could accentuate machinima.

In many ways the world reflects the Lindens roots, and to some extent current nourishment, by the California ideology or their predecessors in the Whole Earth Catalogue, which was the precursor of the Internet. So they may become more explicit with this.

Patch said the new theme will "knock your socks off". I think a future theme such as the house I decorated in the Home & Garden Expo isn't something they would think would be enough of a crowd-pleaser or sock-knocker. People don't really want to live in the future. They want to live in the past.

I think if each person had their own kidney-shaped pool, that would indeed knock their bobby socks off!

• Like 2

On 3/15/2021 at 4:43 PM, Daniel Voyager said:

I think the lab should either move or merge the old Linden Home continents near to the Bellisseria continent after all of the themes are released. Maybe something to look forward to in 2022 or 2023. It would be super exciting for travelling between the continents. 

I think removing the old Linden Home continents would be a big mistake as there are active residents there and interesting areas still worth visiting.  

Instead of merging, they could do it as they did with the push to get adult clubs and such out of "mature" to their "Zindra" continent, created in 2009, which was a bit like closing the barn door after the horse fled as the big businesses and educators supposedly horrified by adult continent had already fled by then.

So, the deal was, if you had something like a "no-tell motel" explicitly labeled as such with public adult activity, but it was on mature, or you had a store with adult furniture, but in Mature, you could put in a ticket to have it moved to Zindra at no cost. It was a swap. So if you had 1024, you got a 1024. Of course you had to pick up the building in the yellow box, etc. but then you had this brand new shiny land labeled "Adult". A lot of people swarmed in, essentially to get what they saw as more valuable land that if nothing else, they could sell for a higher price. Some people chose "adult" or label their sim "adult" without any particular adult activity on it merely because they don't want trouble, they don't want somebody ARing them if they bare a a chest or use a swear word, which can happen in M and G.

I believe they had some workarounds if you had 1128 or something, I forget. But basically it was a one-for-one swap. I did it for some of my customers as kind of an experiment. There was some jostling and glitches, as sometimes even when you put in a form of ID and checked off the screen about verifying your adulthood, it just didn't work. The Lindens even created special content, once you signed up, you flew to that continent, where you were bequeathed "the Sword of Maturity," a free gift which (if you failed to pick it up then) I have out for free in my shop in Ross). So if the swappees also got a Welcome Wagon kind of special content package, they would be lured, surely.

The roads in Zindra were very Jetsons and shiny and supposedly speedier, but I didn't care for them. Even so, I moved two hotels and a store. After the furor died down, it kind of got less active. That is, if you were committed to running a club, and an adult club at that, you could get it to work, but I didn't want to be in the adult business or to run clubs of any kind. Just putting down a hotel in the middle of nowhere isn't much of a draw. I actually find that many people who rent in my hotels or RV camps actually travel around, they go not only to what I have put out on a few sims, they go all around the area for many sims, which is why I make "area attraction" cards. There's a certain percentage of people who do not ride pods, but have their own vehicles or just fly around. They like contiguity, but like it to be sort of "no surprises" contiguity, where very explicit adult content doesn't leer up at them.

So after awhile, I sold some of my "swapped out" areas and just kept one 4096, first for a mall, the died after the anchor store got her own land, and now it's a little cottage area. It has a telescope through which you can see the seaside, so I can advertise it as "seaview," and it has a TP to the Mole beach, which has this great picnic set.

So I think they could set a deadline, and if you did not put in a ticket by then to swap out, your house would be removed. You would still be eligible to come back and claim a new Linden home if you showed up again, but not everyone does. I think the overwhelming majority would be happy to swap out. If there was a huge uproar, the Lindens could consider making a kind of merged area where they took out all the empty parcels, maybe even combining styles in some sims. But I think they could pick up this slack, it would just be picky work like any land work.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

In many ways the world reflects the Lindens roots, and to some extent current nourishment, by the California ideology or their predecessors in the Whole Earth Catalogue, which was the precursor of the Internet. So they may become more explicit with this,.

.... People don't really want to live in the future. They want to live in the past.................

If the Lindens go "Whole Earth Catalogue" then we might get domes made from recycled autos, earthships, and 'green' homes that have solar- and wind-energy components.  I don't think they will do Jetsons - the Lindens were giving away 'futuristic' homes in Zindra and Horizons, and I haven't seen many of them being used.

Perhaps it will be 'back to the land' with smaller houses and larger parcels so we can all have little gardens in the front yard and raise chickens in the back yard...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rufferta said:

If the Lindens go "Whole Earth Catalogue" then we might get domes made from recycled autos, earthships, and 'green' homes that have solar- and wind-energy components.  I don't think they will do Jetsons - the Lindens were giving away 'futuristic' homes in Zindra and Horizons, and I haven't seen many of them being used.

Perhaps it will be 'back to the land' with smaller houses and larger parcels so we can all have little gardens in the front yard and raise chickens in the back yard...

Oh, I'd love it if they had "tiny houses" and lots of land to landscape and/or put up a skybox. I love tiny houses in RL but I do find that in SL, few people want to live in them. 

Could this particular set of Lindens go all earth dome and green homes? Somehow, I think not. Yurts? I have one area with yurts. They are not super popular. The Lindens need to sell these to large numbers of people, so they have to be popular and liveable.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2021 at 10:24 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

So, the deal was, if you had something like a "no-tell motel" explicitly labeled as such with public adult activity, but it was on mature, or you had a store with adult furniture, but in Mature, you could put in a ticket to have it moved to Zindra at no cost. It was a swap.

I remember that, but I don't think it could work with Bellisseria for two reasons

First, a straight swap is 512m which means that they could only use Campers, and there's WAY not enough campers for that. And you can't just give them a 1024 instead because that could potentially  bump them up to the next tier level if they already own other land. Second, there will never be enough houses to meet demand,  as soon as they release a new theme, people make more premium alts to grab them and then it's full until the next release... which wouldn't happen.

I think that when Belli is fully complete, with no more homes to go, they are just going to have to kick everyone out of the old homes and those people (if they are still active) will simply have to compete against the armies of alts like the rest of us do.  

1 hour ago, Karly Kiyori said:

Second, there will never be enough houses to meet demand,  as soon as they release a new theme, people make more premium alts to grab them and then it's full until the next release... which wouldn't happen.

I think that when Belli is fully complete, with no more homes to go, they are just going to have to kick everyone out of the old homes and those people (if they are still active) will simply have to compete against the armies of alts like the rest of us do.  

While quite a few folks created new alts for the Linden Homes, some have already let many of those alts go.  Additionally, lots of folks took advantage of the two separate deals to pre-pay Premium and as those start coming due for the renewal, I think there will be more alts released.  Finally, once LL stops releasing new themes and new regions of existing themes, then I think many of the big GOH players will drop out of the action.  

Patch has said that they will create enough houses for current usage as well as all people still living in the older homes.  I'm not sure how he'd be able to fully gauge that with the GOH alts.  I assume, from previous things Patch has said, that they do want to always have some homes showing as available on the Land page, but they likely don't want a glut either.  Maybe they'll take a big break after the 10th Theme is finally released to see how things settle out with all of the alts.  If many months afterwards, there are still really slim pickins on the Land page, then they could opt to pop up a few more regions of one or more existing Themes.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Karly Kiyori said:

I believe that when Patch was asked (in Saffia's recent H&G interview with him) about what's on the 'to-do' list after Belli's done, he made reference to needing to decide on an "acceptable" way to move folks from the old LH regions.  So I imagine he may still be open to brilliant suggestions - but I sure don't have one!  Difficult problem.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Claire Atheria said:

The SL18B theme was announced today to be "Hidden Worlds" ... so maybe LH theme #8 will be fantasy-related (especially if you look at the logo)? I'll probably be wrong though lol.

The home preview regions usually don't match the birthday themes, though I certainly wouldn't mind if they did and it was a mushroom wonderland.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/16/2021 at 10:11 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

Patch said the theme for the birthday -- SL is turning 18 this year -- is the same as the houses.

Can you share the link to that interview please (or was it in chat?)

If that's the case then so far we know two things for sure:

- The theme will be related to 'Hidden Worlds'

- The homes will have 'Unique Capabilities' (recent patch interview on SL Youtube)

So bets are now open as to what the homes will look like!😁

My first thoughts are some kind of fantasy, like LOTR hobbit homes, as that wouldn't be too dissimilar from the first gen Elderglen homes.

image.jpeg.a01f8cbbb6620dc9363dbe704959ca00.jpeg

image.jpeg.7fc1aef508bebe996e1c7c6014deb5aa.jpeg

Lord of the Rings-inspired Hobbit houses carved into hillside in Turkey -  and 100 more are planned - Mirror Online

Or tree houses even (as you can't see them easily from the ground). Maybe somethng like this? (but less old and rickity looking lol):

Wood, Branch, Tree, Twig, Woody plant, Tree house, House, Biome, Forest, Rural area,

The SL18B logo certainly has a fantasy, not modern, feel to it. But I can't help thinking that basic structure will not be too far removed from what we've seen to date. A tree house like this would fit that.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Claire Atheria said:

The SL18B theme was announced today to be "Hidden Worlds" ... so maybe LH theme #8 will be fantasy-related (especially if you look at the logo)? I'll probably be wrong though lol.

To me, the use of that blue and the glow implies an Avatar-like world. Also note the planets. The strands between the characters could be moss or seaweed or both. And do you remember one part of the film - the floating islands? So, there could be a combination landscape of forests/jungles and canyons with some houses on floating islands (could a new feature be that everyone would be able to explore areas *under* floating parcels without running into boundaries and security orbs?) and some in trees (LOTR). Maybe a few deep underwater cave or bubble homes for the mer-fans. None of it would entice me to take on another home, but it would be a wonderful place to explore. 

5AC3E9B5-5F7F-4DFE-B027-6B5BBD6924D5.jpeg

8461F94C-BEC7-44E0-B4A0-96B1E8EB6695.jpeg

• Like 4

I've started throwing some things around in the older Linden Homes again - I made a start in this one at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Silverdrop/22/125/39 then got a Tahoe here: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Woodsy Mnium/124/240/0 and a Meadowbrook here: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Caspar/168/234/0 - not quite sure I actually want to let them go!!

Snapshot_004.png

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Can you share the link to that interview please (or was it in chat?)

If that's the case then so far we know two things for sure:

- The theme will be related to 'Hidden Worlds'

- The homes will have 'Unique Capabilities' (recent patch interview on SL Youtube)

So bets are now open as to what the homes will look like!😁

My first thoughts are some kind of fantasy, like LOTR hobbit homes, as that wouldn't be too dissimilar from the first gen Elderglen homes.

image.jpeg.a01f8cbbb6620dc9363dbe704959ca00.jpeg

image.jpeg.7fc1aef508bebe996e1c7c6014deb5aa.jpeg

Lord of the Rings-inspired Hobbit houses carved into hillside in Turkey -  and 100 more are planned - Mirror Online

Or tree houses even (as you can't see them easily from the ground). Maybe somethng like this? (but less old and rickity looking lol):

Wood, Branch, Tree, Twig, Woody plant, Tree house, House, Biome, Forest, Rural area,

The SL18B logo certainly has a fantasy, not modern, feel to it. But I can't help thinking that basic structure will not be too far removed from what we've seen to date. A tree house like this would fit that.

I had already been thinking they might do hobbit homes, and the name of the event itself "Hidden Worlds" seems to fit. Hobbit homes are fairly hidden, after all. I suppose you could say the same about tree homes, but that makes me think about stilt homes too much so I'm gonna stick with "hobbit home" till we have more clues!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.