What happens to your avatar when you log out?

DJAlanRocks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Maybe it's a dumb question but I wanna know what you think. Do they stay in SL an have adventures with out you? Do they go to some place like purgatory, waiting for you to return? Do they interact with other offline avatars?  I am working on a story and want to hear your thoughts. 

They all meet up at a secret location for a "What Next?" seminar, which is actually a disguised version of an all-expenses paid pixelpissup. Here, they discuss the next series of  improvements that might cause the maximum of woes, as payback for being made to continiually learn new oddities but continue to serve their users as if nothing had happened. There is absolutely nothing us mere users can do about this. When on seminars like this, they have the equivalent of diplomatic immunity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

They poof from the screen, when i was a noob i used to hang out at a little mainland mall next to freebie dungeon not knowing what happened to me i'd log off in a stairwell my first alt was created about a month after me to find out what happened to me when i logged off i simply disappeared and reappeared when i next logged on

• Like 3

Every time I log off I imagine that my avatar is transported to an alternate dimension on the quantum plane that is exactly the same as Second Life world, but the only difference (in addition to lack of lagging because of my underpowered machine) is the fact, that all characters have their own minds and free will, are not controlled by any external inputs. I can almost see that when I close the SL client my dragoness is like... "phew, she finally went away - now it's time to eat that whole cake hidden inside the fridge!"

Side note: that thread pulled memories of ReBoot from the depths of my past.

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DJAlanRocks said:

What happens to your avatar when you log out?

That's an interesting philosophical and existential question.

I like to compare them with biological processes involving DNA and RNA.

A backup version of the avatar and its traits lives inside an asset server database, much like DNA. Whenever a user log on, a copy is made of that avatar, an instance as it where, similar to RNA as a transcript from the DNA, to 'work' with. Unlike DNA and RNA, though, the avatar interacts with its environment (the sim) and is changed by it (different clothes, locations). This is where the analogy breaks. When the user makes changes to its avatar, the 'DNA'-version of the avatar gets updated, based on the changes made on the RNA/avatar through the environment.

And at the moment the user logs off, some last changes are made to the DNA version and the RNA version then get euthanized though annihilation. It ceases to exist.

• Like 1

In some MMOs, you have to take your avatar to a safe place such as your home before you log out, or your avatar can be killed. I know some users who do that; they take their avatar home, put them to bed, and remain logged in. It's kind of precious.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Mine likes to go galavanting around the city and countryside in search of new adventures. She's rather fond of swimming, flying, a fantastic bowler, has some of the most amazing cars ever, creates with such finesse the world has never seen before, and is loved by all she encounters. She's a magnificent and adventurous being, exploring every nook, cranny and hole in the wall place within the confines of sl boundaries. She's scaled the tallest mountain, dove into the deepest underwater caverns, ran through every rolling field of wheat while the wind brushed back her silken hair ever so gently, and she never tires.

She's also the President of the Northern Chapter of AWAO (Avatars With Absent Owners) having been elected into the position by a unanimous vote back on July 1, 2008. With this position comes great power, and great responsibility. She recruits new members who find themselves lost without direction, meaning, purpose, and she redirects them. She helps them get settled into their new lives, with all the information they need to flourish. She is single handedly responsible for ensuring that all goods and services are free for all AWAO members, while their owners are otherwise occupied. The moment owners are no longer otherwise occupied, the AWAO (nd their personal possessions) fade into a blissful peace and serenity, while awaiting their turn to be emerge from great slumber to once again enjoy the perils and joys sl affords them. Helping new AWAO members understand the intricacies of being an AWAO is one of her most prized responsibilities. She also oversees the International Coalition of AWAO Chapters, in addition to her Northern Chapter duties.

She's humble as the day is long and would be as red cheeked as a Geoffroyus if she saw this post.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

They poof from the screen

This is why there is no reason to be faithful to a partner who in not loggef on. They simply do not exist. When my RL husband goes out the door and goes to work, he is still existing even though I can't see him. But in SL a person ceases to exist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Talligurl said:

This is why there is no reason to be faithful to a partner who in not loggef on. They simply do not exist. When my RL husband goes out the door and goes to work, he is still existing even though I can't see him. But in SL a person ceases to exist.

I fail to understand your logic. 

The person BEHIND your SL partner exists in a city or country maybe far away from you, and continues to exist even when they log out and you can no longer see them.  SL people continue to exist and live, breathe and have a life when they log out.  They just have the good sense to no longer be around people like you who obviously have no investment in any sort of relationships beyond what you can get from them.

I fail to see how this is any different from your RL partner leaving for work and going where you can no longer see them.  Going by your logic, he should fail to exist when he leaves your sight.

• Like 6

Of course we are not talking here about the clutch of pixels that we 'see' as an avatar, no, we are talking about the soul of the avatar that lives on in the Cloud while we are not paying the power company for the electrons to display their body.

It's a mistake to think that this 'soul' is in some way 'you'.  After all she does things in SL you would never do in RL.  No!  This is a separate entity that only 'bonds' with you when you connect.

I can't tell you what she does, because that would be against the TOS, a bit like copying IM's to other people. But I know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I fail to understand your logic

It all depends on your approach to SL. Not everyone shares your approach. For those of use who maintain a separation between SL and RL, my comment is logical, for those who cannot, then obviously your remarks apply. I always am clear to everyone what my approach is, so no one is decieved. Not everyone looks at SL the same way. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.