Why is Second Life expensive?

Lord Derryth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

37 minutes ago, Orwar said:

.. And where is my pony?!

32 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

We never got a pony in a premium gift? Hm…

I'm pretty sure it was @Dakota Linden that promised a pony a few years back when the price of Premium first went up.  She just kept saying that they must have gotten lost in the mail.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

But now, I really dont know what to make of it. half the world is starving or drowning in rain or boiling hot in summer yet these sims in Blakes seas get even further away from normal working class people. you would think you were buying real land.  

Blake Sea is ridiculous, but there are a lot of cheaper parcels that join the waterways that reach that sea. Even more since the Linden Homes as they connected the continents. Plus getting a Linden Home is a very cost-effective way of having something that connects to that water (all houseboats and a lot of the stilts do, plus other coastal houses in other themes).

I'm working class and a lot of stuff is outside my reach in Second Life, but I can have a house and some land and buy stuff. It's not as all or nothing as you're treating it. There are lots of options between the most expensive region in Second Life and nothing at all.

• Like 4

Once you factor in the stipend (assume L$300 per week), an annually-paid premium account and a Linden Home works out at around US$37 a year. Just over three dollars a month.  Not many forms of entertainment these days are that cheap.

The amusing thing is that the original post was about Dual Universe having a fixed monthly price.

Luca Grabacr, who made some great SL videos (Look up "Luca the Guide" on YouTube) went over to Dual Universe. Dual Universe has multiple planets, and you can claim land and build. But to build, you have to mine resources first. It's a grinding game.

So, in Luca's early Dual Universe videos, she's busily mining away and accumulating resources. Gradually, she accumulates enough to create mining and production machinery. Some of this can be put on automatic. She starts building spaceships. Then bigger spaceships. Finally, giant carriers the size of real-world aircraft carriers, packed with small craft. She builds a base and a temple, and gets some furry friends to crew her fleet. So, in SL terms, she has several regions developed and full of stuff.

Then Dual Universe changed the rules. Solo players could no longer build that much stuff. Luca was annoyed, left Dual Universe, and now spends most of her time in Space Engineers.

So, that's life in a flat rate system. Cost/resource balance for big virtual worlds is hard.

There are other approaches. Open Simulator has cheap land but the servers tend to be underpowered. Otherside can handle large crowds, but is so expensive to run, with one user per server, that all they do is have special events for a few hours a few times a year. It's a hard problem to do this economically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Orwar said:

.. And where is my pony?!

5 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

We never got a pony in a premium gift? Hm…

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm pretty sure it was @Dakota Linden that promised a pony a few years back when the price of Premium first went up.  She just kept saying that they must have gotten lost in the mail.

Correction - I found the posts.  It was @Grumpity Linden that kept promising ponies and then said they were in the mail and it was the Post Office fault if we didn't get them.

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/428968-town-hall-meeting-with-grumpity-oz-and-patch-linden-november-15/?do=findComment&comment=1806621

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/428968-town-hall-meeting-with-grumpity-oz-and-patch-linden-november-15/?do=findComment&comment=1807545

• Like 1

Second life is expensive because, despite it being a virtual escape from the real world, it's dominated by US and Canadian players. So instead of a escape, it became Capitalism 2.0 electric boogaloo.
Yes, I'm calling people out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, PekeNL said:

Second life is expensive because, despite it being a virtual escape from the real world, it's dominated by US and Canadian players. So instead of a escape, it became Capitalism 2.0 electric boogaloo.

heh, All I can say to that is that you should have seen it in 2005. Everything that wasn't nailed down was charged for, "lassie faire" libertarianism was the zeitgeist of the day and it was horrifically creepy AF. What we've had for the last ~15 years (since the ponzi schemes were run out -more or less) is nothing, totally  small potatoes in comparison.

2 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

SL could be expensive --- but necroposts are cheap! :D

This is a battle that can't be won.
If someone starts a new thread over a previous discussed subject chances are the reactions will be along the line of "Why a new thread, we already have several of these on our forums"
And if someone replies in an already existing thread there is always a chance that the necro card is played.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PekeNL said:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/dutch_tulip_bulb_market_bubble.asp

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Well: That history is repeating itself with the buzz word called Bitcoin.

I think that SL is mainly so expensive because of the 'In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king' principle. If there was more serious similar competition, prices would have dropped more over the years.

Edited by Sid Nagy

12 hours ago, PekeNL said:

If all you want to do is escape the real world, you can do that with a free account, there is no requirement that you spend money. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

Not me!  LOL

The only person I know of who ever promised someone a pony (horse) was Elon. 

Bring back Pony Linden*! 

https://secondlife.fandom.com/wiki/Pony_Linden

image.png.b63a038158ff06e62a608b25fe07f1a4.png

One (1) Pony please!

*Just Pony... we can't ride Ben 🤭😇

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

Not me!  LOL

The only person I know of who ever promised someone a pony (horse) was Elon. 

17 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

It's never too late to promise us a pony!

Exactly this, plus a pony a day, keeps the drama at bay!  Think of all of the spare time you will have as we all ride into the sunset on our glorious ponies! 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 1:54 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

The "pony" idea originated with the features voting system (yes! there was such a thing!). Residents could -- outside the JIRA! -- put up proposals for features and collect votes. It was killed by an authoritarian resident bent on "helping" the Lindens "clean it up" and this sabotage generated debate and Torley closed it down.

One of the proposals was "to have a pony in the welcome areas". Not a pony for everyone. Just in the welcome areas to ride.

The pods need not keep running when no one is there; they could be on demand and save on sim resources and stop the spam of sims, since most of them are empty.

I never understood whether the world described by the OP was contiguous.

I think with the new "plus" account of $5.99 which comes with a 512, the Lindens have made SL very cheap, less than a typical game. 

The cost of a full sim is now $166. It's a big expense for many people, like an expensive phone/Internet/cable bill.

34 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah - I made a correction post above when I found the original discussions.  It was Gumpity that promised us all ponies.

I think I saw Grumpity sneak into AWS to remove all evidence of the ponies!

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
A pony stepped on the keyboard causing the edit. :)
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.