Why is Second Life expensive?

Lord Derryth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 1/10/2023 at 12:34 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Linden Lab really doesn't control the prices other residents can charge for their Mainland.  It's a free market and always has been.  That's not going to change.  Any land available on sailable water will ALWAYS be at a premium price.    

LL does control the amount of land with particular characteristics; if they wanted to, they could make a lot more waterfront land on sailable water. If they did, prices for such land would fall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

LL does control the amount of land with particular characteristics; if they wanted to, they could make a lot more waterfront land on sailable water. If they did, prices for such land would fall.

For awhile it might be cheaper but over time, people will raise the price.  Not ALL land can be waterfront so that which is will always be more desirable.  Desirable/scarce = Expensive.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

For awhile it might be cheaper but over time, people will raise the price.  Not ALL land can be waterfront so that which is will always be more desirable.  Desirable/scarce = Expensive.

It would be pretty easy to design a map with all or nearly all land on the waterfront. Think many small islands and narrow peninsulas.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

It would be pretty easy to design a map with all or nearly all land on the waterfront. Think many small islands and narrow peninsulas.

In hindsight, sure.  They probably should have?  Parcels in the dead center of areas with no access to roads or water are...kind of stupid IMO.  

However, that's not what they did at the start with mainland.  They sure as heck are not.going to change it now.  As @Rolig Loonpoints out, the did make those changes with the Linden homes.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 7:54 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm pretty sure it was @Dakota Linden that promised a pony a few years back when the price of Premium first went up.  She just kept saying that they must have gotten lost in the mail.

No, it wasn't Dakota, it was Grumpity: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/428968-town-hall-meeting-with-grumpity-oz-and-patch-linden-november-15/

In the end they had to cancel it because it turned out the ponycount was already too high in SL.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

af533001e91e5d597bcc2f2015a44035.jpg

I remember trying to take my boat there one time,, I got really close and my boat derezzed on a sim crossing.. I kind of got cocky and kept speeding up a little more after awhile and it finally bit me.. Like an hour and a half down the drain.. hehehe  Not really down the drain though, because it's a nice boat ride, plus half the fun is seeing if I make it ..

That section is way northeast of me, I want to keep going until I can't anymore.. I love finding all those  little spots that the moles put everywhere that you don't really know about until you find them.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

16 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

af533001e91e5d597bcc2f2015a44035.jpg

Yep, and to keep it inexpensive and never able to be sold, tie it to premium membership with parcels ranging from the size 512 - 2048 sqm and only attainable through the the linden homes page to acquire.  Add a LI of the typical Belliseria house model if possible to the land allowance. Outside of the typical roads, railways, and other mole related themes to the area leave the parcels empty and left to the owner of the parcel to furnish with houses.  Attach it to the mainland, with most of their rules, and see how quickly it fills or flops.

If wanted, LL could add another tier or two of premium membership with larger land allocations and design newer canal parcels as desired.  

Edited by Istelathis

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I remember trying to take my boat there one time,, I got really close and my boat derezzed on a sim crossing.. I kind of got cocky and kept speeding up a little more after awhile and it finally bit me.. Like an hour and a half down the drain.. hehehe  Not really down the drain though, because it's a nice boat ride, plus half the fun is seeing if I make it ..

That section is way northeast of me, I want to keep going until I can't anymore.. I love finding all those  little spots that the moles put everywhere that you don't really know about until you find them.. hehehe

Belliseria is just a tiny bit too boring to make often long boat trips in my book.
Endless rows of the same houses to view.
But nevertheless by far the best spot in SL to go to with a boat IMHO and to spot new inventory and decorating ideas.

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yet, numerous users are so devoted to Belli that they have multiple accounts just to get multiple Belli houses!

Correct as usual, King Friday!

Sailors love Belli for multiple reasons. If you have a home with rezzable water, you can leave a boat out (people love to display their dock candy). There are no orbs or banlines in protected water (and there is no need to enter a resident parcel). You can sail via protected water to any water regions connected to the Blake Sea (and Jeoget as well - basically any mainland except Sansara and Zindra). And the landscape varies alot, iMHO. Best thing... you can have a slice of this paradise for less than $1US/week (annual, net stipend).

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 2

I have a Belli home too. But I change them very often, because I make add-ons for the houses every now and then. When I'm in a 'dry' period with no inspiration to do so, I mostly take a houseboat to relax in and yes I put out my boat than as well.

But for my feeling after 10 sim crossings or so, sailing starts to get a bit boring because too little variation in the views.

Well mileages do vary. 
But I do agree that Belli is the best LL project so far.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ChinRey said:

No, it wasn't Dakota, it was Grumpity: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/428968-town-hall-meeting-with-grumpity-oz-and-patch-linden-november-15/

In the end they had to cancel it because it turned out the ponycount was already too high in SL.

Yeah, I finally found the various Grumpity posts (and added them somewhere above), but I apparently missed out on the cancellation notice.

*sigh*

4 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Belliseria is just a tiny bit too boring to make often long boat trips in my book.
Endless rows of the same houses to view.
But nevertheless by far the best spot in SL to go to with a boat IMHO and to spot new inventory and decorating ideas.

I haven't lived there that long. I'm really enjoying all this freedom of just jumping in my boat, that is right in the back of my house, then just going and going and going..  It reminds me of our boat down south and running the river all day long..

I'm sure at some point it will get boring, but I'm gonna just do that once in awhile rather than all the time to keep the thrill alive.. hehehehe

It's better than living on a private region and having a boat just for looks.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah, I finally found the various Grumpity posts (and added them somewhere above), but I apparently missed out on the cancellation notice.

I don't think there ever was a cancellation note and I may have made that part up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That's a horsey! \o/

:P

Ponies are really cute and cuddly looking, but really really evil.. It's how they get you!

They are like really mean  four legged Danny Devito's..

hehehe

I gotta admit the library horse is scary. It looks more like a llama.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That's a horsey! \o/

:P

Ponies are really cute and cuddly looking, but really really evil.. It's how they get you!

They are like really mean  four legged Danny Devito's..

hehehe

No kidding. I had one when I was in my teens (not owned by me, but fostered from a local rescue centre). 13 hands of evil, she was, and very smart. When she was pissed off with me (like, hoof-cleaning or tail-brushing time) she would place one fore-hoof gently on top of my foot, and lean, very slightly. Not enough pressure to hurt, but enough that I couldn't slide my foot out.  I could just hear her saying "I won't press hard this time, but you know I can hurt you, if I really want to."  

• Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.