Why is Second Life expensive?

17 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Ah, Ok,. I hadn't seen anything about that and was a bit puzzled when I first read the replies, it makes things clearer now.

So, the reason LL is so expensive (Bill 'n Ted NOT) is that they need to cover the salaries of web page coders monkeying around with the forums, innit?

The real reason land is so expensive is because it started out that way. In the early days the prices were high because it was the main source of income after doing away with prim taxes etc. LL just never got around to reducing the prices, as they came up with more ways of bringing in enough income to keep the doors open, until more recent years. Server farms have never been cheap even if you are just renting "cloud space".

The forum update was a mandatory one pushed out by Invision so LL didn't really have a choice unless they want to go shopping for a new forum platform.

I haven't heard innit/enit in years! \o/

• Like 1
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been in Second Life for 17 years.  SL is actually 3 months older than I am.  I finally realized that this platform is very expensive.  When I realized that it was because of a platform/game calle

Simple..SL is a luxury item.  Not a necessity.   Pay, don't pay, log in, don't log in.  YOU may not do anything in here but lots of other people do.   And it took you this long to realize that it can

Of course it is expensive - average outfit is 300-800 l (about 1-3 usd) - for that price you can buy phone game. Mesh body is 2700 - more than 10 usd - for the price you can buy some indie game or dlc

Posted Images

The thing about SL Simulators is that it does just that, simulate.

Every 40th of a second it goes through and processes any script events in all objects, does the physics calculations for physics objects, sends updates to all the viewers, makes http requests on behalf of the radio the media and scripts can access the wide Web on http too, not to mention also the cost of voice servers.

And it does just that, 24 hours a day 7 days a week. There's a fair amount of bandwidth and electricity cost that that entails. Most game servers are only running as long as someone is using them and servers are dynamically spun up and shut down according to demand but not in SL because of the way simulators work.

Even so I would say as someone who works as a software engineer and deals with AWS instances and also someone who owns a full region I think there's at least a 3x markup on the cost it would take to host something like that on a VM, not counting the cost of salary of some staff to make sure all sims are ticking over. 

I think it would be a good thing if sims were more accessibly priced, or maybe looking into the possibility of instantiated regions for those who just want a nice home and space to run around in but are only on for a few hours and don't need a server running 24/7. 

• Thanks 1
On 9/23/2020 at 8:37 AM, RowanMinx said:

Oh and btw, A lot of people.wouldn't think to call SL a "game" in the same sense as those phone apps.  Just sayin'.

I agree. SL is not a game. If someone is here long enough, they will have the emotional scars to prove that. And the amazing relationships as well.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 3
27 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

The thing about SL Simulators is that it does just that, simulate.

Every 40th (45th, actually) of a second it goes through and processes any script events in

Right. Even when no one is around to see them, the trains continue to run, the Yava pods continue to travel, the breedables continue to graze and age, the leaves continue to fall from the trees, the crops continue to grow, and the amusement park rides continue to run.

The designers did not envision that the population would be so spread out, with most sims empty of avatars.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, animats said:

Right. Even when no one is around to see them, the trains continue to run, the Yava pods continue to travel, the breedables continue to graze and age, the leaves continue to fall from the trees, the crops continue to grow, and the amusement park rides continue to run.

The designers did not envision that the population would be so spread out, with most sims empty of avatars.

Holy hell. Skynet has taken over and we are all in the Matrix. 

/me takes the green pill and moves to Mars

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 2:05 PM, Lord Derryth said:

It's starting to dawn on me that SL is by far the most expensive platform out there.   If SL ever goes bye bye.  All that money you spent on items INGAME will go bye bye.  The future for us doesn't look too bright.

Even Real Life is Temporary you never own, just borrow the things in life, when you die those things also do not cross the other side with you.

Read the news everyday in real life how bright is it looking as well? ..the endless struggle for resources,etc.

If you own land/a home in Real Life you pay tax's every year and if not they evict you as well (the government) so if you were to ask me second life is just as real as real life....at least here we have an eject button.

I guess the the thing is everything is temporary, but did you enjoy what you had?, while you had it with those who mattered to you the most... maybe thats the perspective often overlooked.

Edited by Sassy Kenin
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 9/21/2020 at 2:05 PM, Lord Derryth said:

DU is a metaverse like SL.  

I watched the trailer. Wher da kyoot shooZ doh? That’s what I wanna know. 🤣

seriously though, will millions join and work together to do this game? After watching the trailer I didn’t really feel compelled to learn more.