What are some of your favorite quotes?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

“Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning; they want the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.” -- Frederick Douglass

So long as the people do not care to exercise their freedom, those who wish to tyrannize will do so; for tyrants are active and ardent, and will devote themselves in the name of any number of gods, religious and otherwise, to put shackles upon sleeping men." -Voltaire

"We must cultivate our garden”--Voltaire

Edited by Chroma Starlight

It's in my sig line. This quote has been in my various siglines and profiles since ever. It is one I try to remember and live by.

Keep the company of those who seek the truth; run from those who have found It.  Vaclav Havel

Why? Well it has always been relevant, but in these political times even more so. I originally came across the quote when I was reading comparative religion and philosophy. All the zealots of various stripes, all have a stranglehold on The Truth, in their learned opinions. I think we can learn a lot from a lot of areas, and I think I'll know the ultimate reality when I'm dead, ya know, and I think that is probably true for all of us.

Edited by Seicher Rae
to add the quote, lol
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Keep the company of those who seek the truth; run from those who have found It.

But what is truth?
Is truth a changing law?
We both have truths,
are mine the same as yours?

• Like 1

Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts.”  Henry Rollins

“If there was more love in the world there'd probably be a lot less dying.” the preacher pale rider (Clint Eastwood)

If you want to see the rainbow, you gotta sit thru a little rain.” Rainbow by Sugar Ray 🌈 🌧 

& I have this as part of a chest piece dedicated to Adam Yauch (MCA of The Beastie Boys):  You can live your whole life & I hope you live long. -from Slow & Low on License to Ill. ✈️ 

“Always bring a book, as protection against strangers” Macon Leary in The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler

””Johnny’s life passed him by like a warm summer day, if you listen to the wind you can still hear him play”.  Shooting Star by Bad Company 

& last but not least- & not gonna try cause I’d be here all night- so so sooooooo many lyrics by the Glimmer Twins (Mick Jagger & Keith Richards)

-edit:  in hindsight I guess I should say lyrics stick with me because of the repetition.  I have cognitive issues & have difficulty with memory.  It’s getting worse (I have a non cancerous but also non-operative brain tumor & can’t take hormones post hysterectomy & things are going downhill in the m3ntal faculties department & its scary & depressing)  but lyrics seem to not be an issue.  So yea- that’s why I listed music lyrics.

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

But what is truth?
Is truth a changing law?
We both have truths,
are mine the same as yours?

And that, dear fellow, is the point of the quote, or at least part of it. Look for people who are seeking truth, I take that to mean inquisitive people, people who are intellectually curious, people who seek to understand; and run from those who have found it, run from the zealots, the people who think they, and only they, have access to The Truth. This is usually religious or political, but it can be over just about anything. Lately, in SL, I've been running from a whole lotta people who have only One True Way. We saw that here in the Forum a while back when unless you spoke only ONE version of a liberal line, it didn't matter how liberal you were, if it wasn't so-and-so's brand of liberal then you would be tarred with the same brush as, well, in my case, The KKK. !!!! Run! (Doing battle with zealots, especially verbally, is a losing battle.)

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

. Look for people who are seeking truth, I take that to mean inquisitive people, people who are intellectually curious, people who seek to understand; and run from those who have found it, run from the zealots, the people who think they, and only they, have access to The Truth. This is usually religious or political, but it can be over just about anything.

I think this section bears repeating.   It has been my experience as well that those who are sure they have found and know the only Truth are completely closed off from being able to see any other perspective or gradient between black and white, and are not able to seek to understand or to be able to compromise to work toward common areas of understanding or goals, or to compassionately listen with the engagement of their heart.  

• Like 5

"I like to watch"

~Chauncy Gardner

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."

Friedrich Nietzsche

In the past I took long looks into the abyss, and also fought monsters.  I find this quote to be very accurate.  

I am a pragmatic optimist (I leave it to you to figure out what that means), so I've always been drawn to Ralph Waldo Emerson's observations:

“This time, like all times, is a very good time - if we but know what to do with it”

“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.”

“To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.”

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”

and finally ...

“I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.”  😉

• Like 2

Dolly Parton!

"It costs a lot of money to look this cheap."

On being asked if she was offended by dumb blonde jokes: "Why would I be? I know I ain't dumb and we all know I ain't blonde."

God I love her. Love her love her love her. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, theorangemikan said:

She's incredibly hard not to adore! 

She read the CBeebies Bedtime Story a while ago. I told my son she was a very famous musician and singer who had made a lot of money and bought lots of books for children who might not have them otherwise. He said she sounded very kind. Then I said, "Isn't she beautiful?" and he agreed that she was.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Amina Sopwith said:

She read the CBeebies Bedtime Story a while ago. I told my son she was a very famous musician and singer who had made a lot of money and bought lots of books for children who might not have them otherwise. He said she sounded very kind. Then I said, "Isn't she beautiful?" and he agreed that she was.

I think one of my favorite things about her is her incredibly big heart. The first thing that springs to mind is how she dropped everything to be beside Porter Wagoner on his deathbed despite the lawsuit over her supposed breach of contract that made them estranged for years. Then when you think about how the song "I Will Always Love You" was written for him and it just hits home on a whole 'nother level. 

"Take away love, and our earth is a tomb." - Robert Browning

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.