What are some of your favorite quotes?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

dear fellow

Swoons.

But yes, I very much agree with the sentiment. And I did get it from just the quote, I just like Pontius Pilate. . . . Especially since he's just a few lines from having Jesus whipped bloody before being crucified. 'Tis my favourite part of the New Testament. 

• Like 1

I do not know who the originals of the following are.  

In this world stay true to yourself for there are very few people who will always be true to you.

and

If you succeed in lying to, cheating or stealing from someone, don't think that person a fool.  Realize the person trusted you much more than you deserved.

and my personal favorite,

O' Great Spirit, help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence~Cherokee Prayer

• Like 2

“In the past 10,000 years, humans have devised roughly 100,000 religions based on roughly 2,500 gods. So the only difference between myself and the believers is that I am skeptical of 2,500 gods whereas they are skeptical of 2,499 gods. We’re only one God away from total agreement.”

– Michael Shermer

• Like 3

“I’m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.”– Marilyn Monroe

Selfish, impatient and  little insecure......oh yeah.

• Like 1

"Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?" L.M. Montgomery/Anne of Green Gables

I've always been a bit obsessed over the Anne of Green Gables books and pretty much anything L.M. Montgomery has written. She was an incredible author and story teller. I think also full of so much wisdom and simple truth. ❤️

• Like 4

"If nothing ever changed there would be no butterflies."
— Unknown

"Has a bee ever landed on you, and instead of getting scared you appreciated the possibility that you got confused for a flower?"
— Unknown

"There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea."
— Bernard-Paul Heroux

"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got."
— Robert Brault

"Giving up on your goal because of one setback is like slashing your other three tyres because you got one flat."
— Unknown

"You have survived every single bad day so far."
— Unknown

"Failure is a bruise. Not a tattoo."
— Jon Sinclair

"It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe."
— Muhammad Ali

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone."
— Pablo Picasso

"If you don't like where you are, move. You are not a tree."
— Unknown

"Blowing out someone else's candle won't make yours shine brighter."
— Unknown

"It always ends in chickens."
— Skell Dagger

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This one has helped me keep focus through many difficult times:

“Mät aldrig bergets höjd förrän du nått toppen.  Då skal du se hur lågt det var.” 

("Never measure the height of the mountain until you reach the top. Then you will see how low it was.")

Dag Hammarskjöld, Väg Märken

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

"Don’t live the same year 75 times and call it a life."
- Robin Sharma

tumblr_inline_pm6j8jPktO1rimfk5_500.jpg

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime."
 - Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain

tumblr_inline_pgalkpNPuJ1rimfk5_500.png

• Like 1

Here's one I've recently liked...

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." ~William Butler Yeats

Not a huge fan of quoting quotes (I can never remember them!!) - occasionally though, one strikes me as particularly thought-provoking.

• Like 2

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.

Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level.

Fashion is what you adopt when you don't know who you are.

There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse.

Life was a funny thing that happened to me on the way to the grave.

The young always have the same problem - how to rebel and conform at the same time. They have now solved this by defying their parents and copying one another.

Treat all disasters as if they were trivialities but never treat a triviality as if it were a disaster.

However low a man sinks he never reaches the level of the police.

Euphemisms are unpleasant truths wearing diplomatic cologne.

The very purpose of existence is to reconcile the glowing opinion we hold of ourselves with the appalling things that other people think about us.

Basically anything the great Quentin Crisp has said is eternally quotable.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.