What are some of your favorite quotes?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"When people stop believing in the source of reality itself, they turn away from light and love to instead go live lost and confused lives as merely material beings in theΒ all-consuming void of meaninglessness"
--Chroma Starlight
spoken toΒ Orwar,Β π–†π–‰π–›π–”π–ˆπ–†π–™π–Š 𝖔𝖋 π–†π–“π–“π–Žπ–π–Žπ–‘π–†π–™π–Žπ–”π–“,
on the 20th day of Hathyr, 2770Β Almagest Ephemeris

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Haha 3

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  LITTLE DOGS RHAPSODY IN THE NIGHT

He puts his cheek against mine
and makes small, expressive sounds.
And when I'm awake, or awake enough

he turns upside down, his four paws
in the air
and his eyes dark and fervent.

Tell me you love me, he says.

Tell me again.

Could there be a sweeter arrangement?
Over and over
he gets to ask it.
I get to tell.

Β  Β  Β  Β  Mary Oliver

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chroma Starlight said:

Yeah, because nothing says "light-hearted" like ...

Woah, maybe chill a little, it was a comedy movie.Β  If you have a problem with the choice of characters, maybe you ought to direct your complaint to the screenwriter? Or maybe not, given that it was 32 years ago.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You do realize that is a quote from Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure, right? No need to fill out a butthurt form over a quote from a comedy..Β 

image.thumb.png.552fa47244cf93c65ce0dc0d4b33bdf2.png

"I hear that Easter is in April, and so when we finish crucifying you from your own government's highest office, your suffering will cease, slave. Feel the heat of fever and die." --Metaquote, Donald J Trump, pretend president of the failed/occupied USA.

image.thumb.png.bdfc853b44c2c3d59a0528cee752b501.png

( fromΒ https://www.calvertjournal.com/articles/show/12870/top-lista-nadrealista-bosnia-sarajevo-sketch-comedy-tv-yugoslav-warsΒ )
Β 

β€œAt the time we laughed because we didn’t think this could ever happen to us,” VujinoviΔ‡ says. β€œWe laughed until our laughter stopped, and everything that once seemed impossible became our reality”.

Β 

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

This quote is often attributed to Mark Twain or Abraham Lincoln.

Β 

In reality it's origin can be shown to have been changed to its more modern form from the Bible.

Proverbs 17:28 from the King James version:

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

Β 

I think the transference from the Biblical quote to its more modern version doesΒ not change the weight of the thought.Β 

• Like 4

Another IΒ like is attributed to George Orwell:

: "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Β 

In reality, Orwell never said this is that exact form.Β 

The earliest use of theΒ Β misquoted phrase was in an essay Orwell wrote on Rudyard Kipling in 1942:

"Orwell cited Kipling's phrase 'making mock of uniforms that guard you while you sleep'Β and further noted that Kipling's 'grasp of function, of who protects whom, is very sound. He sees clearly that men can be highly civilized only while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard and feed them.' "Β 

Β 

In either form, I like the phrase.

On 6/23/2021 at 7:27 AM, Chroma Starlight said:

Yeah, because nothing says "light-hearted" like the man who had to step away from life's truer higher pursuits to instead divert off to preserve as much of civilization from slipping into apocalypse as was the possible, even knowing that not even all the most precious things can be saved and that the loss is already staggering before the first battles were everΒ fought. Immortal spirit. When you tap into his ghost, I am certain that you find nothing but chuckles, smiles, and light-hearted fancies.

1200px-Lincoln_Lincoln_Park.jpg

Β 

1151200487_VA_-_Raphael_The_Healing_of_the_Lame_Man_(1515).thumb.jpg.7d305a204f6906328ffa033d81b8f9df.jpg

Good lord, it's from a movie....some people have absolutely no sense of humor. Lighten up *shakes my head and closes this out*

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

You don't speak of that which you have found. You talk only about what you have lost.

"Though I still have bread left over, I will eat your bread!" Will this endear a man to the household of his friend?

One does not return borrowed bread.

Wealth is far away, poverty is close at hand.

The lives of the poor do not survive their deaths.

Although the chickpea-flour of the home-born slaves ...... is mixed with honey and ghee, there is no end to their lamentations.

He who possesses many things is constantly on guard.

To be wealthy and insist on demanding more is abominable.

He did something never seen before.

Let his bread be foul food; no man should eat it.

His bread is finished.

Chickpea-flour is appropriate for every woman in the palace.

Don't pick things now; they will bear fruit later.

He who eats too much ...... cannot .......

Who will listen to your translations?

In the city of the lame, a cripple is the courier.

I always seem to be speaking about unpleasant things.

To accept a verdict is possible. To accept a curse is impossible.

Like a clod thrown into the water, may it be destroyed as it disintegrates.

When a dishonest boat is sailing, it runs aground.

Those who get excited should not become foremen. A shepherd should not become a farmer.

My things changed things.

(selections from "The Electronic Text Corpus of Sumerian Literature, Proverbs: collection 1,Β 
fromΒ https://etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk/proverbs/t.6.1.01.html)

Β 

At the core of mentoring is the understanding that genius must be invited out of a person. People carry to this world something important that they must deliver, and mentors help to deliver that genius to the community. To see the genius in a young person is to give it the fertile grounds required for it to burst forth and blossom, for it is not enough to be born into this world loaded with such a beauty. The newborn must be assisted in giving birth to the genius that (they are) born with. Failure to do so kills that genius along with the person carrying it. The community responsible for the death of an inner genius is like an assassin. The community that is able to receive the person's genius gives birth to the adult who is able to contribute his or her healing gifts to that community.Β 

The West defines genius as a great intelligence, or an exceptional talent. I don't reject that definition. But it is different from the indigenous definition, which sees genius as an open line that flows through a person from the Other World. It seems to me that limiting the meaning of genius to intelligence or talent displaces it from its real source and privatizes it in the individual. If genius has no grounding in the sacred, then it becomes easy for the community to ignore it if it chooses. In the traditional context, the community does not have a choice. The community is obligated to awaken the newcomer's genius, and the ritual welcoming of the newborn into this world is the community's official acceptance of this responsibility.

If genius is the expression of the sacred in an individual, then the individual's link to the Other World is the spiritual umbilical cord that cannot be cut until its owner is fully awakened into (their) gift. Just as our umbilical cord cannot be cut until we are fully in this side of reality, we must nurture and maintain the genius until its complete birth in this world. To cut outright is to kill.

I stress the role of community because a mentor distinct from a community is very hard to conceive of in the indigenous mind. The point is that there is no use delivering something to a destination where there is nobody to receive it. The very purpose of mentoring is twofold. One is to recognize and awaken; the other is to facilitate the delivery of the genius to the community. In a culture where community matters more than anything, mentoring becomes an essential social responsibility. People assume that a mentor will come forward who is appropriate for the particular youth in question.

Because genius is sacred, originating not in this world but another, it must be approached ritualistically, that is, symbolically- with respect and even reverence. (...) (It) is useful to point out now that genius understands the language of ritual better than any other language. Through ritual, the genius is invited to come out into this world. Ritual makes the host of genius feel recognized, because ritual shows that the people inviting genius to come forth do speak its language and therefore must mean well. Making the host feel welcome and recognized is necessary because the birth of genius is an intense emotional event in which the pupil is vulnerable. Indigenous people tend to approach emotion, and sometimes even pain, as a sacred thing because they think it means that something in the person is moving out in order to let something else come in. The tension between the incoming and outgoing energies produces pain. The stretching of the body's physiology out of its normal parameters, which is what allows the shift to happen, is supported through ritual, as a serious and sacred thing.

(fromΒ The Healing Wisdom of AFRICA, p. 102-104, Malidoma Patrice SomΓ©,Β  Jeremy P. Tarcher / Putnam, a member of Penguin Putnam, Inc., (c) 1998. )

Β 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.