What are some of your favorite quotes?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 854 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I noticed some time ago that a lot of people put quotes in their Second Life profiles, song lyrics too, but I'm more interested in the quotes people use. So regardless of if you have a quote in your profile or not, what's your favorite, and is there a particular reason behind it? 

My favorite quote, which I don't have on my profile, (instead I have another) I feel fits real life and Second Life pretty neatly.  “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.” — Lao Tzu

Having lurked these forums long enough I have a feeling this might end in a bunch of joke quotes, but I'm interested in those too! 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, SassySam87 said:

"I did not hit her, it's not true, I did not hit her, I did naaaht. Oh hi, Mark."

Dead meme, I'll see myself out.

I'm always a little disappointed how that's the go-to quote while “Everybody betrayed me! I’m fed up with this world." is neglected. 

• Like 2

Just now, theorangemikan said:

I'm always a little disappointed how that's the go-to quote while “Everybody betrayed me! I’m fed up with this world." is neglected. 

That one's gold too

The entire movie is, will this just turn into a thread of quotes from The Room?

• Like 1

One of mine is "The winds of Grace are always blowing, but you have to raise the sail."

I first came across it on a little desktop daily calendar, and in looking for attribution for it, several are given including Rabindranath Tagore and as a Ramakrishna inspirational quote.  I kept that page from the calendar on my desk for quite a few years.

• Like 4

"Compassionate listening involves the total engagement of the heart." From "Quaker Faith & Practice" by Britain Yearly Meeting

I'm a Quaker and this has been one of my favorite quoted passages since I was a young girl. My Dad used the passage to comfort me since I was going deaf and terrified to forget the sound of his voice. It was scary, but he used this passage to explain that as a deaf person I learned how to do things differently. Instead of just listening with my ears, I listened with my eyes and heart. That it was a deeper and more fulfilling way of listening because that type of listening is the type that really feels and understands what is said instead of just listening with my ears. That he knew I would remember because I heard my loved ones more deeply with my heart than I ever did with my limited hearing. 

• Like 17

5 minutes ago, Dafadilia said:

"Compassionate listening involves the total engagement of the heart." From "Quaker Faith & Practice" by Britain Yearly Meeting

I'm a Quaker and this has been one of my favorite quoted passages since I was a young girl. My Dad used the passage to comfort me since I was going deaf and terrified to forget the sound of his voice. It was scary, but he used this passage to explain that as a deaf person I learned how to do things differently. Instead of just listening with my ears, I listened with my eyes and heart. That it was a deeper and more fulfilling way of listening because that type of listening is the type that really feels and understands what is said instead of just listening with my ears. That he knew I would remember because I heard my loved ones more deeply with my heart than I ever did with my limited hearing. 

That quote has a lot of truth in it, and the way that your Dad used it for your situation is really a lovely story (and I think your Dad was very wise). 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

That quote has a lot of truth in it, and the way that your Dad used it for your situation is really a lovely story (and I think your Dad was very wise). 

Thank you! I think he was too, but I'm very biased when it comes to him. He was my best friend. He had to be resourceful since I imagine it wasn't easy to explain to his daughter the genetic condition she had that would cause many health issues throughout her life. 

Anyway, thank you. I think the quote holds much truth as well. 😊

• Like 3

"People who plaster their profiles with brainy or inspirational quotes from other people certainly do not make themselves appear interesting, original individuals with the capacity of forming their own thoughts and opinions."

- Orwar Furlgrimr

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

"People who plaster their profiles with brainy or inspirational quotes from other people certainly do not make themselves appear interesting, original individuals with the capacity of forming their own thoughts and opinions."

- Orwar Furlgrimr

I’m (almost) totally quoting you!

• Haha 1

I say this a lot at work when someone makes a change for the worse to something not broken, but picked it up from my father..

There is always that one special someone, that feels the need to reinvent the wheel.

Another is, It's better than a sharp stick in the eye..

one more. Well, that was like throwing a turd in the punch bowl.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 854 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.