GOALS in Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/28/2020 at 10:03 PM, Amina Sopwith said:

I hear Amara skins will work on head and body without a seam? 

They do, but so does pretty much every BOM skin I've tried , except when I've inadvertently got different materials settings on my head and body. The only brand I had dreadful difficulty with was the Skinnery.  I've even managed no neck seam on the experimental skins I'm making myself (but I've got an annoying one around the belly and another on the inner thighs that are driving me nuts).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. Make some friends with actual common interests who have an obsession with hanging out together. It's actually been almost 10 years in SL since I had the sorts of people that I would just hang out with who were into the same things as me. I've had friends I spent some time with, friend with some common interests, and a few that were wildly divergent but we could manage to hang out anyway. But people who'd get online and I knew I wanted to do what they were doing or they wanted to do what I was doing - the last of those left SL when I was basically only a year into things...
    1. With my strong leftist stance on a lot of socio-political issues and also fascination with erotica AND spirituality; I'm a bit of a tough pill for folks here... so my SL has largely been a solo 'mess around with things' experience for a while... I'm also a Gen-Xer in a community that seems to be about 80% boomer, 30% Millennial, and -5% Gen-X...
  2. Figure that whole Blender thing out. It's still a magic box of mystery to me... I have so many content ideas I would love to make, that I have a mental block over making...
  3. Finally figure out which houseboat to toss back... Like seriously had two identical linden home houseboats on opposite sides of the same island clump for half a year now... Utterly pointless, but they're both amazing... When I went looking for a house boat I looked and saw 2 spots that I figured I had a 1 in a thousand chance of managing to get either of them, so I fired up an alt... and somehow got them both at about the same time...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2020 at 1:14 PM, FairreLilette said:

This topic is about GOALS in Second Life.

First, do you have any specific GOALS for your Second Life you would like to achieve?

Second, if you have met a GOAL in Second Life, what was it and how did it make you feel?  

I guess I do have a goal right now to switch to a full mesh avatar. I have full mesh alts but not for myself.

One previous goal, probably the first,  was to make every part of my own avatar. Hair, eyes, shape, skin and clothes. I was able to accomplish this but I looked horrible. It was a good learning experience though. 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 12:07 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

I've been wondering for hours now what GOALS stands for.

Goreans Only Act Like S**t?
Grandmas' Organization Against Lowrider Slacks?
Goats, Otters, And Lemurs Society?

This really should be a part of the 5 Letters Game thread.

I've said this before, I think, but you really are not right! (I feel even more strongly about this since I learned your feelings about math, OMG!!!!) ;););)

• Confused 1

I had no goals when I came to SL, just always looking for something new and interesting. I found places and people and music I loved, and my goal was just to spend as much time there as possible. Then all that I loved started fading away, and my goal for years was to replicate that. I finally gave up and ignored SL for a long time. I came back, and my goal was just to find stuff I enjoyed. I pretty much failed at that, too, including trying SL photography. In the end I think I am just not suited to SL anymore, so I no longer have goals in or for SL.

• Sad 1

No goals, no hopes, no expectations. Never did have, although Second Life - like real life - has taken me into some unexpected places from time to time. I don't feel like either are going to do that ever again. Maybe I am stuck in some kind of rut. Maybe this is sort of the end for me, and it's time I just got myself a caravan on the coast and a little cat for my lap. 

A bit fed up with always feeling like I'm trying to swim against the tide, to be honest. 

• Sad 1

Hehe.... Lindal and Maddy are engineers -- goal oriented, practical types who are happiest making a new toy (or torturing it on a test bed).  We scientific types rise above such mundane things as practicality.  For us, life is full of "Oh, look!   A shiny new puzzle!" moments.  Once we figure out why the universe is doing something strange, we lose interest (or hand it off to the engineers to make toys out of) and move on to the next puzzle.  That's why engineers make tons of money and retire with a stack of patents while scientists get the Nobel prizes and retire poor with a stack of theoretical publications.  ( I've stopped waiting for my phone call from Stockholm, BTW.  The theoretical publications are enough. )

Although a nice toy is fun to play with too.  🙃

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Hehe.... Lindal and Maddy are engineers -- goal oriented, practical types who are happiest making a new toy (or torturing it on a test bed).  We scientific types rise above such mundane things as practicality.  For us, life is full of "Oh, look!   A shiny new puzzle!" moments.  Once we figure out why the universe is doing something strange, we lose interest (or hand it off to the engineers to make toys out of) and move on to the next puzzle.  That's why engineers make tons of money and retire with a stack of patents while scientists get the Nobel prizes and retire poor with a stack of theoretical publications.  ( I've stopped waiting for my phone call from Stockholm, BTW.  The theoretical publications are enough. )

Although a nice toy is fun to play with too.  🙃

I'm not actually goal oriented. I had to force myself to stay on task to the end of projects because, like you, the moment I grokked something I lost interest. I'm practical only to the extent necessary, as witnessed by my behavior here in SL.

If we're weighing dollar bills or coins, I did actually make tons of money. I retired at age 42, but my stack of patents would be only 2mm thick.

You didn't mention that I like to measure... everything.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I'm not actually goal oriented. I had to force myself to stay on task to the end of projects because, like you, the moment I grokked something I lost interest.

same when it comes to things which only affect me.  I have heaps of never finished stuff everywhere

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You didn't mention that I like to measure... everything.

True.  That's one thing that engineers and scientists have in common.  I think that's why we feel relaxed in the presence of mathematics.  Scientists enjoy using math to peer into the clockwork of the universe.  Engineers love using it as a tool to make more clever clocks.  We're all happiest when we can quantify things.  Leave it to the artists and English majors to describe the fuzzy beauty in it all. I stand in quiet awe of people with native talent in the arts and literature and am happy when I can experience second hand some of the joy that creative artists must feel in their work. As hard as I try, I can only dabble my toes in their world. When I venture into their territory I just hope to keep from embarrassing myself by doodling in the margins. 

I suppose that I get the most pleasure in RL and SL when I am around people who like to explore the universe in different ways and are willing to share what they discover.  My goal is to understand as much of it as I can.

• Like 3

Accomplished goals

☑️ Learn to create stuff

☑️ Run my own SL Store

☑️ Earn enough to run my own anime sim

Ongoing

🟦 Finish my sim

🟦 Teach the next generation to create

🟦 Learn to be a good leader

The final goal is kind of accidental. It never really occurs to you as a creator that when you make worlds, inevitably people will want to live in them and look up to you as a leader in your field. I never used to wear a captain's hat, I wore it as cosplay once but my partner asked me to keep it on. Lots of people like to think of me as their captain these days, there's this sense of responsibility I have but I am still pretty hopeless at that kind of thing.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 11:07 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

I've been wondering for hours now what GOALS stands for.

Goreans Only Act Like S**t?
Grandmas' Organization Against Lowrider Slacks?
Goats, Otters, And Lemurs Society?

This really should be a part of the 5 Letters Game thread.

Not all goreans are jerks.. just 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of them are. :P

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.