New Last Names Options

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I still don’t feel that these names are all that good honestly. I hope something a bit more interesting comes along soon. At the moment they mostly feel like gimmick names

I think it kinda is a gimmick to generate revenue more than an opportunity to have a last name.  That’s just the jaded me talking tho- I realize SL is a company that relies on profits to exist.  I’m still having a debate with myself whether or not I want to pay to change my first name.  I’ve decided if I do I will just keep Kobichenko since I initially had my heart set on telepathically willing the lindens to choose the last name I submitted in the contest & I failed to get picked.  If just needing to pay to have my contest entry choice was an option I would have already shelled out. 

3 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I still don’t feel that these names are all that good honestly. I hope something a bit more interesting comes along soon. At the moment they mostly feel like gimmick names

i sort of agree

i wouldn't say gimmick tho. More that the names lend themselves to character roles

not sure what the rationale for this is. Might be some data that supports this.  Altho I do notice that Linden staff themselves tend more toward character-like avatars so that might affect their thinking when picking names to add, maybe more unconsciously than anything else. Like while Ebbe Linden tends toward a human character, Oz is more toward a wizard character, Patch is a bit toward anthro (at least ears and tail) character, Grumpity is a stick figure character

i was hoping that this release would have more human-y names. But is ok that these new names (like most of the initial names) are more character names as am sure that people into characters will be quite happy with them.  For myself I will wait and see what the next round brings

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Looking at the few they've removed, I have a hunch that they took out the ones that have been the least popular. Which makes sense from a financial perspective. Gimmicky names were always very popular before, and each time a new list came out there was a rush of people getting funny ones for their alts. (I had one called Rusty Raza, at one point).

• Like 3

Just now, Marigold Devin said:

We'll have to make up a last name for you.

I always hear Panteleeva Cantilever in my head when I read your name anyway!  :D 

You really found perfect last name for me:)

Also as I said no one of new ones fit me,but many of older ones do:)anyway I better remember your version))

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Ohhh look what you did - that was quick ! :D 

I had to jump on it before someone else snaps it up. lol

It may not be as readily recognizable as punny like Greg's name, but if I were to make a reach, I'd say it sorta fits with the musical theme family.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 1

It's like they asked a group of 10-yr olds addicted to Fortnite or reddit's r/memes to generate these last names. Way lamer than the original last names back in 200x. 90% are joke names, you've got 2 somewhat Japanese names, and the rest are English names. No Korean, Chinese, Indian, [insert pretty much every other country except the US and Britain] names whatsoever. How inclusive, bravo, LL, you really showed your cultural skills right there.

Also, "resident"? Who in the world is going to spend $50+premium to buy that when it's the default last name for every new account? Do they think we're idiots or something?

Edited by MelodicRain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MelodicRain said:

It's like they asked a group of 10-yr olds addicted to Fortnite or reddit's r/memes to generate these last names.

Well, no.  They asked residents to submit names, in a contest held between mid-December and late January.

The names on the list were the winners.  I'm guessing that you didn't submit one of them.  ;) 

• Like 1

Rumpole would have been good.  If you'd been really lucky, you might have bagged a Victorian on the Rumpole Abbey region in Bellisseria too.  That would have been a coup.  

Personally, I might have been drawn to Gregson or Travers, so that I could masquerade as one of Bertie Wooster's foreboding aunts.  I see myself as Aunt Dahlia in my fanciful moments, at least for her "good eggishness" qualities.  In fact, though, I still have no desire to give up the perfect name I've had for 13 years.   😉

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Plantaganet (or maybe Tudor, can't decide)

ooh!

if I had a choice between Elizabeth Plantaganet or Elizabeth Tudor then I would snaffle Elizabeth Plantaganet. Elizabeth Tudor is pretty cool tho being that the Queen Elizabeth I was the first Elizabeth Tudor

Elizabeth Plantaganet of the House York married Henry Tudor VII of the House Lancaster.  A marriage which united the houses of York and Lancaster, cementing the end of the War of Roses. An end which Henry began by defeating Richard III of the House York in 1485 on Bosworth Field. Which was the last time an english monarch captured the Crown on the battlefield  

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 11:15 AM, MelodicRain said:

Also, "resident"? Who in the world is going to spend $50+premium to buy that when it's the default last name for every new account? Do they think we're idiots or something?

That is for people that currently have a last name and want to go to a single word name.  Even though all single name accounts have Resident as their default last name, most viewers don't show it and so people appear to just have a single word name.  Some like that option.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That is for people that currently have a last name and want to go to a single word name.  Even though all single name accounts have Resident as their default last name, most viewers don't show it and so people appear to just have a single word name.  Some like that option.

Like Cher, Beyoncé, Sting, Madonna, Bono, Björk, Charo, Enya, Coolio, Eminem, Pink, Penn, Teller, Twiggy, Fabio, Liberace, Prince, Rihanna, Banksy, Adele, Mr. T (unless you count "Mr." as a first name) , and Donovan.  Oh, and Yanni, Pelé, Shakira, Oprah (who never uses her last name), Ice-T, and Drake.  And don't forget Homer, Napoleon and Jesus.  :) 

Edit:  OK, I cheated with Oprah and with Napoleon, but they still sort of count.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 2:24 PM, Daniel Voyager said:

688608334_LastNames.PNG.e7eace7766f39f1c61c91eb5067dfd7d.PNG

Today Linden Lab have announced a new batch of last names for purchase. There will be further updates to the last names pool in the near future.

Vortex
Fluffpaw
Sassypants
Amethyst
Bloodrose
Aurelia
Starlight

Wayfarer
Rover
Wanderer

When are we going to get (Custom) Last Names, obviously within reason of community standards?
^ I kinda like my names to match.

Had a friend change their name recently to get away from people, but I am going to assume that avatar UUID stays the same, so in theory a person logging avatar Key / Name, can easily find everyone changing their name?

As well as ban lists on a username change user remains ban due to UUID staying same?

Edited by o0Tasha0o

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.