New Last Names Options

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, o0Tasha0o said:

When are we going to get (Custom) Last Names, obviously within reason of community standards?

never

11 minutes ago, o0Tasha0o said:

I am going to assume that avatar UUID stays the same, so in theory a person logging avatar Key / Name, can easily find everyone changing their name?

As well as ban lists on a username change user remains ban due to UUID staying same?

yes

58 minutes ago, o0Tasha0o said:

Had a friend change their name recently to get away from people, but I am going to assume that avatar UUID stays the same, so in theory a person logging avatar Key / Name, can easily find everyone changing their name?

Yes.  It's really quite simple.  Just write a script that accepts a user's old name as input and uses llRequestUserKey() to get the UUID associated with that name.  Then use llRequestAgentData() -- with its DATA_NAME parameter -- to get the current name.  You can do the whole thing with a dozen lines of code or so.  If you decide to change your name because you want to hide, that's not going to work.  

None of these interest me.

None of them bother me either so I can let that go.

As long as the folks stuck on single names that don't want to be stuck on single name can find a choice they like then I guess it's all good. I still think they should just let us type in a name of choice - especially at the price it's set at...

I do have 1 alt that I want to do a name change on. Would like to keep her last name though - which you can with the new system - I just haven't thought up the right new name...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

On 6/28/2020 at 6:15 PM, MelodicRain said:

Also, "resident"? Who in the world is going to spend $50+premium to buy that when it's the default last name for every new account? Do they think we're idiots or something?

I did that. Because the only last name I really want, can't ever be on the list (it's owned by the Tolkien Estate). I could have grabbed this name on an alt, but then I'd lose everything I have; I wanted this name for me, not for an alt. It was definitely worth it for me.

• Like 3

I made a new alt, but I was so stubborn and would not have numbers with the name, like Jonathan 234. So I started to make a new name, and I liked what I ended up with.

I wonder if I should have made it better. Should it end on a H? Gareit or Gareith?

Gareit Huntsman.

Gareith Huntsman.

Gareit Wanderer.

Gareith Wanderer.

I can add the "H" is I pay for a last name. But it is madness to pay money for a last name just for vanity. Wait... all I spend money on in SL is for vanity, one way or another. 😏

• Like 1

I like Amina's suggestion of Rumpole.  Some clever git could be "Bailey Rumpole".

and if we continued to be clever, LL could introduce MustNotBeNamed as a last name, and Bailey's partner could be SheWho MustNotBeNamed.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I like Amina's suggestion of Rumpole.  Some clever git could be "Bailey Rumpole".

and if we continued to be clever, LL could introduce MustNotBeNamed as a last name, and Bailey's partner could be SheWho MustNotBeNamed.

Rumpole of the Bailey was the inspiration. I can just imagine a lot of residents liking the name, whether or not they get the reference. I do agree that the new ones are a bit gimmicky. 

16 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Rumpole of the Bailey was the inspiration.

It was also pretty clearly the inspiration for the Rumpole Abbey region in Bellisseria.  If we had a Ramsbottom region too, maybe someone could create a zoo there so you could  claim that last name and take young Albert to view the lions.  🦁

• Like 3

On 6/26/2020 at 3:33 AM, Mollymews said:

i sort of agree

i wouldn't say gimmick tho. More that the names lend themselves to character roles

not sure what the rationale for this is. Might be some data that supports this.  Altho I do notice that Linden staff themselves tend more toward character-like avatars so that might affect their thinking when picking names to add, maybe more unconsciously than anything else. Like while Ebbe Linden tends toward a human character, Oz is more toward a wizard character, Patch is a bit toward anthro (at least ears and tail) character, Grumpity is a stick figure character

i was hoping that this release would have more human-y names. But is ok that these new names (like most of the initial names) are more character names as am sure that people into characters will be quite happy with them.  For myself I will wait and see what the next round brings

When I joined SL in 2008, we got to choose from a list of last names when we created our accounts.  In that list were a few "gimmick" names which I had no interest in.  So, I chose Hancroft because it was the "normalest" name in the list at the time.  Since those names appeared for only a short time and never again, anytime I see another Hancroft in my SL travels, I always IM them and say "Hello, Cousin!"  Of course I've gotten some strange looks and responses along the lines of; "And who are you?"  LOL!  

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.