Are you scared? : (

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

You think that's bad? Our stupid Prime Minister down under believes Hair Dressers, Barbers and Hair Salons etc are 'essential' and therefore remain open. With the caveat that strict social distancing of 4m² be in place for each person. How does he even think it is possible for the hairdressers to distance themselves by 2 m from the person getting their hair cut. 🙄

Electric clippers on a long pole?

Me, I'm just letting my hair grow out.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Electric clippers on a long pole?

Me, I'm just letting my hair grow out.

I am letting my hair grow too. Since I was in Military school and then the Army, I have always had short hair; and I HATE this. I am thinking of using the dog's clipper on myself.

Here's a dilemma.

Lots of people MUST work, either because they are deemed "essential" or because they'll starve otherwise.  All the day care centers are closed (a reasonable precaution, they are a very logical place for infection.)  But the people working have no place to leave their kids.  So, they're dropping them off with grandparents.

It's easy to see how dangerous THAT is.  The parents pick up the virus at work, or the kids get it at the daycare, then they infect Grandma and Grandpa...and two more critical cases for the ICU.

I don't know how to fix that.  Maybe have the kids LIVE full time with their grandparents, until it's over?

Here's another.

Health care workers, especially nurses, are on the front lines.  They're more likely than most to catch the virus.  They also are, in many cases, relatively low paid and are renters.  Some landlords are evicting them out of fear.  That's got to stop, these people are risking everything for us all.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JoeDex said:

I am letting my hair grow too. Since I was in Military school and then the Army, I have always had short hair; and I HATE this. I am thinking of using the dog's clipper on myself.

My husband switched to using dog shears on himself quite a few years ago.  He wears it short and figured he could do it himself much cheaper.  Definitely dog clippers -- they are cheaper than the people ones but are the exact same thing.

I keep my hair just above shoulder length, so I typically go to my hair stylist every 4 weeks.  I'm actually not due until next Tue, but of course I won't be going to that one.  Hopefully, slight chance anyway, that I'll maybe be able to make the one at the end of April.  I touch up my own roots, so not worried on that aspect.

My husband and I are venturing to the store tomorrow morning during the old folks hour -- I need him to get me in because I'm not old enough, but there isn't a chance I'd trust him with all of the shopping.  Crossing my fingers that it isn't full of lots of crazy folks and that the store is actually stocked up in most areas.  The good thing about the old folks hour is that we get to be the first ones in after the overnight stocking.  That should give us a better shot at stuff like toilet paper and kleenex.  It feels like forever since we have been to the store, but we stopped in for a few things just Wed last week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

...My husband and I are venturing to the store tomorrow morning during the old folks hour -- I need him to get me in because I'm not old enough, but there isn't a chance I'd trust him with all of the shopping...

Oh, c'mon, take a chance!  Live a little!  This could end up being the funniest thing that happens to you all week.  Even if you DO have to eat frozen pizza and donut holes three days in a row.

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

You think that's bad? Our stupid Prime Minister down under believes Hair Dressers, Barbers and Hair Salons etc are 'essential' and therefore remain open. With the caveat that strict social distancing of 4m² be in place for each person. How does he even think it is possible for the hairdressers to distance themselves by 2 m from the person getting their hair cut. 🙄

39fcc0fa9e187643c27611166da36101.png

(You're right, obviously. Might be doing that thing where they don't legally force you to close so you can't claim insurance, since technically they can claim that it was "a choice".)

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

(You're right, obviously. Might be doing that thing where they don't legally force you to close so you can't claim insurance, since technically they can claim that it was "a choice".)

I would say you might be correct about the insurance, however it was in the news today that our insurance companies over here are redoing their T&C's to specifically state that Covid-19 isn't insured. How nice of them.🙄

That said, just found this which shows what China did apparently in February/early march to solve the situation - so @Lindal Kidd got it right. 😄

25522604-8073373-Chinese_barbers_have_co 

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Oh, c'mon, take a chance!  Live a little!  This could end up being the funniest thing that happens to you all week.  Even if you DO have to eat frozen pizza and donut holes three days in a row.

My next door neighbour played that game with her husband the other day.   She said what the hell do I do with sausages, a jar of jam and a cabbage?    I shared some potatoes and milk with her so at least she could make a meal that night until she was able to get to the shopping hour for NHS workers.  Bless her 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

She said what the hell do I do with sausages, a jar of jam and a cabbage?

ooh! A round of "coronavirus chopped"....  I'd be reaching for the soy, ginger and rice vinegar to turn the jam into a fruity/spicy/salty glaze for the sausages which could be served over the cabbage which has been shredded, lightly steamed and then finished by tossing in butter with coriander and pepper  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

I'd be reaching for the soy, ginger and rice vinegar to turn the jam into a fruity/spicy/salty glaze for the sausages which could be served over the cabbage which has been shredded, lightly steamed and then finished by tossing in butter with coriander and pepper  :)

Where as I'd grill the sausages, slather them in 'Daddies brown sauce'.....and he could do wtf he liked with the jam and cabbage!

5 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Well damn... I lost my bet with my brother over whether Boris or Donald would catch it first....

Maybe Trump's spray tan has protective qualities. It's been glowing more than usual lately.

Carrie is pregnant, so that's a worry. I hope everything is ok.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

That was a losing bet, there's no way Trump will tell anyone about it unless he dies from it.

Maybe so, indeed..  but my "daily exercise" today will be a grocery run for my brother who is isolating with his unwell wife and fortunately the offies are open so Ill be able to pick up the bottle of scotch he won. A gentleman pays his bets promptly after all, in spite of the virus :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Still no TP, but I don't have to live on frozen pizza and donut holes.  

I never thought I'd have to line up to go grocery shopping.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Boris has it now, so imagine what the flip THAT hair will look like.

Didn't he have to do "prime ministers question time" in the house the other day? Wonder if they'll put all those lunatics in 12 weeks quarantine now?  😆

Edited by Dano Seale
missed word
  • Like 1

When I was at the store, I was still amazed at how mostly empty the canned food aisle was.  Ditto for most bottled/canned water and pasta.  Other than that and the mostly empty paper goods aisle, things were at least half filled.  The meat area was so-so, but they did have lots of brauts and cornish hens, so I grabbed some of those.  They had ground beef, but it was only the 80% lean rather than the >90% I usually buy, and since I still have 1-2 pounds in the freezer, I skipped getting any more.  No ground turkey at all, but luckily I still have one or two packages of that in the freezer also.  

So while I'm still doing mostly okay, it is still the economy and the state of the grocery stores that has me concerned.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

My next door neighbour played that game with her husband the other day.   She said what the hell do I do with sausages, a jar of jam and a cabbage?    I shared some potatoes and milk with her so at least she could make a meal that night until she was able to get to the shopping hour for NHS workers.  Bless her 

Boil the sausage and cabbage together with some Italian seasoning with a bit of minced onion and dry minced garlic, no salt. Save the jam for breakfast toast.

Of course the seasonings can be varied. Those are just three of the ones I keep on hand because I use them frequently.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 3

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

all our stores have put limits on the things people were hoarding..

I stopped by my grocery yesterday to grab some essentials (ice cream and Oreos) and decided to grab a loaf of bread while I was there. When I shopped last Friday, there were signs up limiting bread to 3 per person and those signs are gone now. 

I thought that was a promising sign that we're getting our food supply chain working well. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.