Are you scared? : (

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Noo, we are fine, our local stores are well stocked and there's a good sized supermarket within walking distance. I was just speculating about the option of forcing people to stay home completely, rather than allowing them out to shop for groceries.

Glad to hear it. The offer still stands for anyone in the UK who's struggling, although things seem to be calming down in that regard as a result of restrictions on purchases and locking down. Though Prince Charles will probably be alright.

Yes, I am scared. Fear is a natural response to something like this. Thing is, I'm not scared for myself. My spidey senses are developed enough to let me know that I will be alright, both health-wise and in other ways. It's other people I'm frightened for.

I am frightened that with humanity's destruction of nature, these pandemics will become more frequent.

I'm frightened that these are the beginning stages of civilization collapse. Though I've mentally prepared myself for this, years ago, and my intuition told me to be on guard, the grief that comes with the disintegration of normalcy is hard. It's hard to process this grief alone. We need to have support groups for this grief.

I'm frightened for the country I live in, which is the USA. Our postal service may permanently shut down in June. I'm scared and sad for all the insanities of this country that will be brought to the surface. I'm scared for all the people hanging by a thread, to begin with. My heart is breaking.

Edited by Nimue Galatea
  • Like 1

Past time the USPS went away.  About 90% of the mail they deliver these days is useless advertising.  UPS and FedEx could handle the remaining 10% cheaper and more efficiently.

I can actually cite one high point of the USPS though...my local mail carrier.  This young man delivers mail as if he's being chased by demons from Hell.  If there's a package, he leaps from his truck, sprints (often up a steep hill or steps) to deliver it to the door, and sprints back to his truck.  The kid must be in training for the 2020 2021 Olympics.

• Like 2

The women at the counter in our post office in this small town hold the place together, and they know everyone.  The post office is sort of a social glue.  But yeah, they deliver mostly catalogs and junk mail these days.  And bills.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

When I buy & sell on eBay shipping is almost always USPS and they’re indispensable. I love the USPS.

Well, I must admit their pre-sized and priced Priority Mail service is pretty good.  And they did take our passport applications last year.  So I guess they can stick around for a while.

I am terrified by the number of people who don't understand the very clear instructions.

"We're definitely self-isolating, we're just popping out every day to drop in on my 75-year-old mother." "Can my husband and I both go to the supermarket with our toddler in tow? I'm giving birth soon and I apparently married an imbecile who can't buy babygros and maternity pads using a shopping list." "Can I still go on holiday 300 miles away?" "I'm self-isolating, except for when my kids and grandkids come round for tea every day." "What should I do if I go to my local park to exercise but it's full of people?" "Is it OK if I get my mobile hairdresser round as usual? I know there's a pandemic and everything, but my roots look so bad." "I know it's essential travel only, but I really did need some chocolate." "I don't understand, when I go to the supermarket, other people are there too. Why is that?"

Christ on crutches. I never, ever thought I'd say this, but I actually feel sorry for Boris. It must be like overseeing a nation of Goreans. 

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

But I'm out of weed!  It's an essential.  I can't drive 300 miles to the nearest legal dispensary and back in one day.

Our "nonessential businesses and stores" have been ordered closed down. However, our liquor and cannabis stores and dispensaries have been exempted.

Presumably because booze and weed are essential in times like this?

(Actually, I think that this is a good move, for the simple reason that ordering them closed would see a huge rush on both, with lines, crowds, and al the other things we're trying to avoid right now.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

But I'm out of weed!  It's an essential.  I can't drive 300 miles to the nearest legal dispensary and back in one day.

Mine's not quite a full city block away and open. They're all wearing gloves and masks and only allowing one customer per attendant in at a time. It's easy to do since there is a glass wall where you check in with your ID and they have to buzz you through. So yes since the dispensaries do fill legal prescriptions, they are open. Now my tobacco shop is a different story. I'll find out if they're open or not today. They do have a drive through... but who knows, it's a small town and the mayor might allow it since they also sell booze. Heck Colorado is allowing booze.

20 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I am terrified by the number of people who don't understand the very clear instructions.

"We're definitely self-isolating, we're just popping out every day to drop in on my 75-year-old mother." "Can my husband and I both go to the supermarket with our toddler in tow? I'm giving birth soon and I apparently married an imbecile who can't buy babygros and maternity pads using a shopping list." "Can I still go on holiday 300 miles away?" "I'm self-isolating, except for when my kids and grandkids come round for tea every day." "What should I do if I go to my local park to exercise but it's full of people?" "Is it OK if I get my mobile hairdresser round as usual? I know there's a pandemic and everything, but my roots look so bad." "I know it's essential travel only, but I really did need some chocolate." "I don't understand, when I go to the supermarket, other people are there too. Why is that?"

Christ on crutches. I never, ever thought I'd say this, but I actually feel sorry for Boris. It must be like overseeing a nation of Goreans. 

After our Governor gave the Stay at Home order yesterday, apparently the 9-1-1 system and phones at many emergency facilities (police, fire, hospitals) were slammed with people calling to ask questions.  They actually had to put out statements on all of the media sources and Facebook and Twitter, etc... telling people to stop calling 9-1-1 for questions.

It's amazing how much stupidity is taking over.  Many folks can't even manage common sense right now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Our "nonessential businesses and stores" have been ordered closed down. However, our liquor and cannabis stores and dispensaries have been exempted.

Presumably because booze and weed are essential in times like this?

(Actually, I think that this is a good move, for the simple reason that ordering them closed would see a huge rush on both, with lines, crowds, and al the other things we're trying to avoid right now.)

When Denver first issued their order, they did not exempt the liquor & pot stores -- and those stores were flooded with people immediately.  Two hours later, Denver modified the order to say that the liquor and pot stores were exempt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

When Denver first issued their order, they did not exempt the liquor & pot stores -- and those stores were flooded with people immediately.  Two hours later, Denver modified the order to say that the liquor and pot stores were exempt.

in the Netherlands they did that with the marihuana shops ..

27 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

"I'm self-isolating, except for when my kids and grandkids come round for tea every day."

Sitting in my garden this afternoon (and every afternoon this week), the sound of children shrieking was astounding.  Not because I have anything against children playing the garden but because none of the children actually live in these houses but were dropped off by their parents to be looked after by their elderly grandparents.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Sitting in my garden this afternoon (and every afternoon this week), the sound of children shrieking was astounding.  Not because I have anything against children playing the garden but because none of the children actually live in these houses but were dropped off by their parents to be looked after by their elderly grandparents.

I know I'm supposed to say that their parents could be key workers whose schools and nurseries have closed and we mustn't judge and all that, but you know and I know...

What is it going to take to get people to take this seriously? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Normally, grandkids are being dropped of at my house just about every week-day.   Once our shelter at home order was placed, I called my daughters and told them that they needed to keep their kids at their own houses.  There is one parent working from home now, in each of their families.  I was expecting a bit of push back, especially as they have to do school from home starting this week, but was pleasantly surprised that both daughters were already on the same page.   So, for me, this feels like a vacation and I'm quite enjoying it. 

• Like 5

We now have a hotline number to call or text to report people or businesses who aren't following the rules. Does England not have a tattle line yet? 

Kentucky might be at the bottom of the list for pretty much everything, but we love our basketball and competition sports, and with those taken away we're looking at flattening the curve as a competition now. We're out to beat other states... if that means narcing on each other, so be it. We're damned determined we're going to win this thing. 

If anyone needs a little humor in this mess, our governor has turned into a God, and there is a huge FB group for memes about him. Other states (and countries) have joined in and are trying to barter for our governor and it's quite entertaining. Sorry, He's Taken

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Past time the USPS went away.  About 90% of the mail they deliver these days is useless advertising.  UPS and FedEx could handle the remaining 10% cheaper and more efficiently.

I would prefer that the other way around - which I think is actually likely too.

As Amazon gets it's own fleet and turns them into EVs, UPS and Fedex are having increasing trouble turning a profit - which will soon catch up to them and leave them in the deep red. They will then need to either be bought up by a competitor to Amazon or go under. Leaving the USPS - which does more than just mail and as noted - is a social hub in some small communities. Even in cities - a decade ago I knew all my local USPS workers by face, if not by name; and there was a time some of them knew me.

The thing about the USPS is, like Taxi's; they're required to serve everyone. A private company can redline whole neighborhoods out. Don't like that black part of town - Uber won't go there... Don't like Blacks in general, AirBnB hosts can turn them away... Don't like that remote Alaskan Inuit village - Fedex won't go there.

But a Taxi had to go into that neighborhood back when they existed, and the USPS has to deliver that mail, and a hotel had to let anyone stay who could pay the bill.

(all the above having the obvious caveats of people in psychotic moments, active crimes, etc... ie: they can refuse you for what you're DOING, not who or where you are.)

LEGALLY private companies cannot redline like that - but they are all structured in ways that they can make excuses. USPS, Taxis, and Hotels got judged for the IMPACT of their policies, not the intent. They're replacements are being judged by the 'claimed intent on the letterhead' even when the impact is extreme and overly blatant.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

We now have a hotline number to call or text to report people or businesses who aren't following the rules. Does England not have a tattle line yet? 

Kentucky might be at the bottom of the list for pretty much everything, but we love our basketball and competition sports, and with those taken away we're looking at flattening the curve as a competition now. We're out to beat other states... if that means narcing on each other, so be it. We're damned determined we're going to win this thing. 

If anyone needs a little humor in this mess, our governor has turned into a God, and there is a huge FB group for memes about him. Other states (and countries) have joined in and are trying to barter for our governor and it's quite entertaining. Sorry, He's Taken

No nark line yet here in the UK, but I guess it will be a matter of time. They still are using the actual police to randomly pull over people in cars who may be making a journey that is not absolutely necessary. There was talk of £30 on the spot fines for anyone being out in public that should not be so.  Also on our midday news TV bulletin was shown footage of UK police kicking over a barbecue, complete with an assortment of cooked meats, because barbecues are not allowed as that means there are groups of people who are not just the ones living in the household where they are gathering. Sadly this does not paint the police in a very good light, and most of them are actually good guys.  

At this very moment, in the  houses at either side of where my brother lives, there are separate gatherings of people who do not normally live in these houses! Two in the adjoining house are actually NHS nurses - and I am sick to death of hearing about how wonderful they all are, when frankly they are not all ministering angels.  I am likely to get rotten tomatoes chucked at me for saying this - the truth - and if I showed you a photo of first hand what we have experienced at the hands of a so-called senior district nurse, you would be sickened, as we were. My brother almost lost his life because of it.  

So now the NHS staff are doing the job they are actually paid to do, albeit at full capacity and more, they are actually blowing their own trumpet, which is their right to do, BUT the heroes in my book are those who are on only national minimum wage (nurses bleat about poor wages, but really they are on a good screw), such as the pharmacy delivery drivers, the retail workers, all risking their own health as they cannot always avoid being outside of the two metre distancing rule.

And the wonderful 500,000 plus volunteers who have put themselves forward over this past 48 hour period to ensure the NHS paid workers are supported. YAY for them. I should think there will be a special medal made for each and every one of them.  

____

Love, love LOVE all the bids for your governor. What a stand-up guy! 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

lmao @ myself

One of the ads was an image of earwax being removed... My first thought was wtf? someone is offering earwax for the gov? xD Oh, it's an ad. 🤪:$

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You think that's bad? Our stupid Prime Minister down under believes Hair Dressers, Barbers and Hair Salons etc are 'essential' and therefore remain open. With the caveat that strict social distancing of 4m² be in place for each person. How does he even think it is possible for the hairdressers to distance themselves by 2 m from the person getting their hair cut. 🙄

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.